Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Stunned by > $1400 in taxes and fees that I just needed to book a Euro round trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stunned by > $1400 in taxes and fees that I just needed to book a Euro round trip

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: None since COVID - yet!
Originally Posted by serfty
No-one has mentioned UK APD.

With a stopovers in London each way, the UK government is getting an additional £13 for LHR-SZB and £162 for LHR-DFW per PAX - there's ~$570 alone of the $1400 for two.

This is payable irrespective of whether ticketed/flown on BA/AA.

If they were transits, none of that would be payable.
'Stopovers' of under 24 hours are not actually counted as stopovers either for APD purposes, or for AA's 'no stopover' rules on award tickets outside NA. So none of the fees are for UK APD.

Last edited by androobe; May 13, 2012 at 12:10 pm Reason: Added quote
Old May 13, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by pinniped
Sadly, a year from now, DM will probably not exist anymore. My 250k DM will become 250k AAdvantage miles, we'll all be in Oneworld, and it'll be a pain in the *** to get into many parts of Europe and the Middle East without involving LHR. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple J awards to HKG before the Star Alliance gig is up.
All is not lost. Why not fly EY F/J to the middle East direct from JFK/ORD.
That's what I am doing - AUH-JFK in EY F with limo service
But I do agree with you, somewhat.
I have not had any problems redeeming over 2 MM in awards with AA/OW - all in premium long haul flights until this year. It has ALL changed suddenly. I could give you many examples, but one stands out - NO F/J sAAver awards AT ALL from GIG to any N.A. AA hub the entire (so far bookable) 2013 - and I've been checking from T-331 and with EF alerts. I had no trouble getting 2 Js on GIG-SFO with UA on the exact day I needed.
Times, they are-a-changing...
Old May 13, 2012, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
I flew HKG-SFO in Cathay F on an award ticket last month and paid $33. If you're doing award travel in that direction you're not paying fuel surcharges on One World. Look at the photos from my trip and tell me if you'd rather fly UA or Cathay in F. LINK
+1 - no comparison.
Did the same all the way to CMB (though the last segment from SIN was in J) for about the same (similar) in taxes.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by androobe
'Stopovers' of under 24 hours are not actually counted as stopovers either for APD purposes, or for AA's 'no stopover' rules on award tickets outside NA. So none of the fees are for UK APD.
If AAward rules would prevent these being stopovers then so be it.

However, the OP mentions 10 hours free each day after the 'overnights' but does not mention the actual times.

From that one can easily conclude the LHR breaks are indeed stopovers (rather than transits) and as such APD would apply each way.

OP, can you please advise your arrival and next day departure times at LHR each way.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Tell me something I don't know.

However, the OP mentions 10 hours free each day after the 'overnights' but does not mention the actual times.

From that one can easily conclude the LHR breaks are indeed stopovers (rather than transits) and as such APD would apply each way.

OP, can you please advise your arrival and next day departure times at LHR each way.
It does not matter. There is no way that the OP is paying APD, because the rules for connecting on an AAdvantage All Partner award are stricter than the 24-hour rule for APD. It's not possible to incur APD when connecting through the UK on a single All Partner award. Overnight connections are possible; >24 hour connections are not.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted. life's short

Last edited by hillrider; May 14, 2012 at 1:39 am
Old May 13, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted. life's short

Old May 13, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
I have been a member of AAdvantage for 28 years and not once has AAdvantage proactively told me that what was once was free now costs $1,400.
It doesn't. You can still book AA award flights on the same route, when available, for no fees. They're offering you a BA flight with fees - it's up to you to decide if you want it, AA's flight, or another OW carrier's flight, or a non-OW redemption partner's flight.

I read all the stuff AA sends me, yet it weren't for FT, I'd have no idea of the newest (post-JBA) rip-off it's being perpetrated on unsuspecting--literally--millions of members. And all you have to do is search for availablilty to see that in many (most?) day the only options is to take BA metal with the extortionate co-pay, and since under the JBA AA & BA pool the transatlantic revenues, AA does pockets part of the fee.
Or, more plainly stated, since the AA awards have significantly lower fees, they're taken first, leaving only the BA awards available through the tool. Every other redemption partner available, however, is still available the same way they always have been - call.

The hyperbole in this thread is amazing.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
AA is forcing people to book BA to pay the high co-pays of which it gets a cut through the JBA.
Really? Forcing? Taking control away from the user, opening their browser for them, clicking on flights for them, and putting in credit card numbers for them?

Forcing. :laugh:
Old May 13, 2012, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Incidentally, I read that someone searched for regular (not 2x miles) awards in F or J cabins on JFK-LHR on AA metal for the entire upcoming 330 days, and found NONE. Not a single flight available, just BA ones.
Don't believe everything you read on an Internet forum. I just found availability on June 2 (AA 138 in F) and then stopped looking because that was sufficient to disprove the thesis.

Last edited by Austinrunner; May 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm
Old May 13, 2012, 6:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Incidentally, I read that someone searched for regular (not 2x miles) awards in F or J cabins on JFK-LHR on AA metal for the entire upcoming 330 days, and found NONE. Not a single flight available, just BA ones.
He should move to SFO as everyone knows we're well looked after here

I checked the first seven days of February SFO-LHR on AA metal and there were discounted business awards available six of those days and discounted first class awards available five of those days. You'd be able to get to London from here in one of those fares classes every day of the week.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:58 pm

AA is forcing people to book BA to pay the high co-pays of which it gets a cut through the JBA.
The "regular" awards are the higher mileage cost awards - that's why they're always available. The lower-cost awards are restricted, constricted, apportioned, rationed, etc. Your terminology is backwards.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
It has ALL changed suddenly. I could give you many examples, but one stands out - NO F/J sAAver awards AT ALL from GIG to any N.A. AA hub the entire (so far bookable) 2013 - and I've been checking from T-331 and with EF alerts. I had no trouble getting 2 Js on GIG-SFO with UA on the exact day I needed.
Times, they are-a-changing...
Clarification:
I should have made it clear that I am looking for 2 J awards (1 does me no good). There have been a few single Js but never 2. I will not book one J and one Y and hope I get a second J later, because it may never happen and I would NEVER fly GIG to SFO overnight in Y.
Thus if I can't get 2 awards, for me it's the same as not having any.
In the past this would not have been a problem when planning early. Neither was it a problem on UA getting 2 Js.
Old May 13, 2012, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted. life's short

Old May 13, 2012, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

What is APD?
(I did first try the glossary, which was helpful with YQ = Fuel Surcharge)

Serfty, I'll tell you that the elapsed time between arrival and departure in London is just under 24 hours.

I'm budgeting:

- 1 hrs to clear Heathrow customs

- 3 hours transit time (from Heathrow into London, and London to Sofitel Gatwick @ $193 for the night which they explicitly say is "Tax-inclusive price")

- 10 hrs for actual touring, lunch and dinner

- 7 hrs to sleep

- 3 hours for breakfast and Gatwick morning checkin

from earlier:
"...foregoing flying other airlines, even if they were cheaper,"

I almost never do this.

Whenever possible domestically, I have switched to flying Southwest. The flight is usually cheaper to start out with, and I can check a bag at no cost. It becomes an economically irrational decision to consciously book a more expensive flight AND still have to pay to check bags. Makeup, hair care, lotion, etc puts me over the liquids carry-on limit anyway. And I don't have to deal with a heavy bag inside the airport. Not to mention Southwest flight attendants are fun. (Though my favorite flight attendant ever is Anthony from AA, whom I completely enjoyed on Chicago to Rome AA flights.)

AA called me earlier this year to let me know all my points were about to expire. Eventually I corrected this by sending AA 1) an Alaska Air charge receipt from the past 8 months 2) a photocopy of my boarding pass. Both were required; I thought I'd never find that boarding pass...(Who keeps boarding pass photocopies?) Luckily I had used one of mine as a bookmark and still had the book. That was why I initially found and registered on this forum - googling for ways to not let my AA points expire.

More recently, what prompted me to try to use my points was the email below from AA, and the feeling that my points will only decrease in value as time passes:

------------

date: Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM
subject: NEW! Book Flight Awards On More Airlines At AA.com

Redeem Your Miles on AA.com for Flights on British Airways and Hawaiian Airlines!

We're making it easier for you to redeem American Airlines AAdvantageRegistered trademark miles for flights on
British Airways and Hawaiian Airlines. Now, you can book one-way, round-trip and multi-city award travel on one or a combination of airlines on AA.com.

When planning your award travel online, you will now see flight options for American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, British Airways and Hawaiian Airlines on applicable routes when award seats are available.

Learn More and plan your trip today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.