Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Stunned by > $1400 in taxes and fees that I just needed to book a Euro round trip

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stunned by > $1400 in taxes and fees that I just needed to book a Euro round trip

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
OP has a fantastic point: FF Miles are not really "miles" to use in lieu of the ticket price, but rather just the "fare" apart from taxes, surcharges, etc. Compared to other points programs where the entire $$$ cost of the ticket inclusive of fare, taxes, and surcharges are covered.

With the stopovers the OP likely had to purchase on the phone incurring extra booking fees as well, since the FF Miles redemption website (aa.com) is not capable of this. Fees also not covered by the "Miles."

Comparing to a hotel-branded loyalty credit card, would a hotel ever charge tax for a room redemption? I doubt it, though I see "resort fees" all the time in their own special category of shame.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
That's insulting.
Insulting? That's a bit harsh, especially when there are examples in this very thread for how to avoid those surcharges just by flying different metal, and keeping tabs on when those seats may open up.

To me, airline miles are just like any other currency. When I buy a stock, I inform myself about the company, the industry, the value of what I'm buying, and know what the risks are. When I put money in the bank, I know what amount is insured.

The only time I've had any major gripe with a FF plan is when rule changes are draconian in nature, and I've not been given a chance to redeem whatever miles I've earned under the old structure before the changes go into effect. But even then, I realize that plans may change at the whim of the carrier, and that too was spelled out to everyone equally, before anyone credited any miles to the program.

So yes, I think informed vs. uninformed is a fair representation since there was plenty of time in the two years in your example to keep up with changes to the program, and how redemptions one is banking miles for might be affected.

I don't like the prospect of fees for the fuel surcharges any more than the next guy. But if I've had ample opportunity to be informed about them without it being a shock/surprise while redeeming miles, then I have to believe everyone else has had the same opportunity. That's not the least bit insulting to point out.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: VS Silver; BA Blue; HH Gold; SPG Gold

I wonder, how much would the ticket cost I you booked it with cash. I imagine due to the first class portion it would be upwards of $10k per person?

Yes you need to pay the surcharges, this is true on ALL European airlines, and now many Asian ones. It will not be long until all in the US follow suit.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Dup post
Old May 13, 2012, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
I've noticed lately that when I look between dfw and lhr, i seem to find more award seats available on ba's one nonstop flight versus aa's 3 nonstop flights.

Is aa now incentivized to push award traffic to BA in order to share some of the YQ?
Old May 13, 2012, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by envgeo
I've noticed lately that when I look between dfw and lhr, i seem to find more award seats available on ba's one nonstop flight versus aa's 3 nonstop flights.

Is aa now incentivized to push award traffic to BA in order to share some of the YQ?
Yes.

Not surprising that BA has more availability as folks try and avoid the BA bahksheesh.

This is the problem with ATI and codeshares; airlines win, consumers lose as there is less price competition between formerly competing airlines. If you don't pay for your own ticket, you may not care, but if you do pay for your own ticket--you may be less than thrilled by ATI.
Old May 13, 2012, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
No-one has mentioned UK APD. [EDIT]I see now that cannot be[/EDIT]

With a stopovers in London each way, the UK government is getting an additional 13 for LHR-SZB and 162 for LHR-DFW per PAX - there's ~$570 alone of the $1400 for two.

This is payable irrespective of whether ticketed/flown on BA/AA.

If they were transits, none of that would be payable.

Last edited by serfty; May 13, 2012 at 8:39 pm
Old May 13, 2012, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hillrider
I cannot fathom how someone who signed up for a frequent flyer program 2 years ago to earn a almost-free tickets to Europe (which at the time they were), read all the documentation, earned all the necessary miles required by the program (foregoing flying other airlines, even if they were cheaper, in order to do so), and then found out at redemption that the program now requires $1,400 (1) is not being deceived and (2) is an uninformed customer. That's insulting.
Hillrider, that rationale places all the burden on AA's disclosures, and none on the OP for reading and understanding program rules and making suitable choices. You're way too kind.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I think the OP would have a right to be stunned by those fees even if he had known to expect them. When I was considering a move from UA to AA, although aware of BA's incredible fees on award tickets, I was still stunned to see a total of $1440 in fees on AA/BA for a trip I had just booked on UA/LH for less than $200 in fees. It doesn't help that the AA web site fails to include most other partners on award search, but in this case, I believe BA was the only possible choice.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
This is really scary! I always thought AA had the best mileage program in the U.S., but with partners like BA it does not seem like this is true. I just got a ticket on United all the way to BKK from the U.S. in International F Class for the 70,000 miles and 14.00 copay.

This is the issue with American's route network is that it relys too much on partners and their OneWorld hubs. For loyal travelers who earn miles and are forced to fly with people like British Airways, American's Advantage Program is really at a disadvantage.

It is great when you can fly AA, but American limits their destinations except in Latin America so it is hard to stay on AA when flying to Europe or Asia.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive, AmericanAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by Jamjaw
I wonder, how much would the ticket cost I you booked it with cash. I imagine due to the first class portion it would be upwards of $10k per person?

Yes you need to pay the surcharges, this is true on ALL European airlines, and now many Asian ones. It will not be long until all in the US follow suit.
Not the Asian ones I fly. I fly Cathy Pacific, Asiana, Thai, and Air China. The biggest copay I had for business class with Asiana was $33.00. I have never seen taxes and fees like this used with miles except over in Europe. It is sad that flyers to and from Europe accept these types of taxes from their airlines. I just head to Asia and South America instead as it is a much better deal for vacationing.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by TWATWA
This is really scary! I always thought AA had the best mileage program in the U.S., but with partners like BA it does not seem like this is true. I just got a ticket on United all the way to BKK from the U.S. in International F Class for the 70,000 miles and 14.00 copay.

This is the issue with American's route network is that it relys too much on partners and their OneWorld hubs. For loyal travelers who earn miles and are forced to fly with people like British Airways, American's Advantage Program is really at a disadvantage.

It is great when you can fly AA, but American limits their destinations except in Latin America so it is hard to stay on AA when flying to Europe or Asia.
I'm not complaining. I put my 23 y.o. son in an award F seat (Y coming home) from EWR to GRU via DFW for 62,500 miles and $58 in fees (plus 20,000 miles for the return in Y).
Old May 13, 2012, 9:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I just got a ticket on United all the way to BKK from the U.S. in International F Class for the 70,000 miles and 14.00 copay.
I flew HKG-SFO in Cathay F on an award ticket last month and paid $33. If you're doing award travel in that direction you're not paying fuel surcharges on One World. Look at the photos from my trip and tell me if you'd rather fly UA or Cathay in F. LINK
Old May 13, 2012, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

As much as people are bagging on UACO for their disastrous lack of planning for their merger, Mileage Plus is still a pretty good program and, IMHO, the best in the U.S. Very little of this fee garbage with them, there are so many options within the Star Alliance that you're pretty likely to be able to piece together some workable award with a little planning and flexibility.

This itin is an example of the difference: AA funnels you through LHR to get to almost anywhere in Europe. (Why more MAD doesn't show up in the list of options, I don't know.) Star Alliance can get you into any number of United and US Airways direct cities - plus has two different LH megahubs (FRA and MUC) to send you through. Plus Swiss, Austrian, Aegean, Adria, and maybe one or two other niche players to provide more options once you're into Europe. More total permutations of U.S.-based TATL metal and many more Euro options once you're there. And no junk fees.

Dividend Miles can be a decent program too, but they have a R/T requirement and don't let you seamlessly book the whole (or most of the) Star Alliance online. Partner awards require some time and work but are still the best way to use DM.

Sadly, a year from now, DM will probably not exist anymore. My 250k DM will become 250k AAdvantage miles, we'll all be in Oneworld, and it'll be a pain in the *** to get into many parts of Europe and the Middle East without involving LHR. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple J awards to HKG before the Star Alliance gig is up.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:39 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by envgeo

I was thinking the same.

This is now one of the biggest hindrances to AA's otherwise very good mileage program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.