Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

For inquiries into the best economy or Main Cabin Extra seat on this aircraft type, see this thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 3:42 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by carlosdca
but...but...but it makes business sense, because all of the following are irrefutable facts:
-People ALWAYS buy the cheapest fares.
-AA will ACTUALLY offer lower fares than the competitor with 9 abreast.
-All of the 170 pax in the Main Cabin fly once a year, and they will forget about the experience in a few months.

[snip]

And the most important fact:
-It is barely an inch of width that will be lost. Nobody will notice.
And don't forget:

"But I flew in 3-4-3 with my family of 4 and we thought it was just fine, so I'm sure it will be OK for everyone [including single travelers seated in the middle between two overweight people]"
Old May 25, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not if AA starts properly enforcing hand baggage allowances

I've seen AA enforce cabin luggage allowances on flights (not all flights).

Please explain how increasing the number of seats per plane, but not increasing the size of the luggage bins will not lead to increased competition for bin space--even when cabin luggage allowances are enforced.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globehopper
I've seen AA enforce cabin luggage allowances on flights (not all flights).

Please explain how increasing the number of seats per plane, but not increasing the size of the luggage bins will not lead to increased competition for bin space--even when cabin luggage allowances are enforced.
Of course there will be a larger number of people using the lockers, but if AA consistently were to enforce the cabin bag size n weight limits, there would be , from what I have seen on AA, a lot less hassle getting space
Old May 25, 2012, 12:30 pm

Just wait til you see the seat layout for the new A320's. 7 1/2" wider than a 737 so surely we'll all be looking forward to the 3-4 configuration on those birds as well.
Old May 25, 2012, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by bigdaddy411
Just wait til you see the seat layout for the new A320's. 7 1/2" wider than a 737 so surely we'll all be looking forward to the 3-4 configuration on those birds as well.
Shhhh! Don't give them ideas!
Old May 25, 2012, 3:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Fly paid F and J. AA EXP. DL PM.
All part of the new revenue enhancing program:

MPTC... More People Throughout Coach
Old May 25, 2012, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by k_getchell
Has anyone noticed that the picture of the Y seating on the 777-300 microsite on aa.com has changed (http://www.aa.com/fly777).

Previously the image looked like this: BEFORE (Courtesy of Flightglobal.com)

Now they've shaved the top off so you cannot tell if the seating is 2-5-2 or 3-4-3 etc: AFTER (Courtesy of AA.com)

Interesting, the file name given to the image on the AA site is 773_YC_111129_Fwd_crop.jpg - love that they're not even hiding the fact that the image has been cropped
There's nothing about the BEFORE image (it's a computer rendering, not a photo or picture of an actual plane interior) that conclusively proves that the center section is four or five across. Yes, the AFTER image has been cropped, but that doesn't change the ambiguity of the BEFORE image. All we can tell from the BEFORE image is that the center section appears to contain at least four seats - but nothing about that image precludes the center section from containing five seats. And the BEFORE image does not show whether the side sections contain two or three seats.

Until I see a seat map, I'm skeptical of any "confirmation."
Old May 26, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Of course there will be a larger number of people using the lockers, but if AA consistently were to enforce the cabin bag size n weight limits, there would be , from what I have seen on AA, a lot less hassle getting space
What have you seen on AA that indicates that better enforcement would make of for an 11% increase in passengers, and therefore baggage?
Old May 26, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
There's nothing about the BEFORE image (it's a computer rendering, not a photo or picture of an actual plane interior) that conclusively proves that the center section is four or five across. Yes, the AFTER image has been cropped, but that doesn't change the ambiguity of the BEFORE image. All we can tell from the BEFORE image is that the center section appears to contain at least four seats - but nothing about that image precludes the center section from containing five seats. And the BEFORE image does not show whether the side sections contain two or three seats.

I actually convinced myself that the original pic was 5 across (you can see the 5th remote/phone if you look closely). But it's clear that it's just an example. As for the "confirmation," as was reported earlier in this thread it came from a post by AA on their Facebook page.
Old May 26, 2012, 4:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hbtr
What have you seen on AA that indicates that better enforcement would make of for an 11% increase in passengers, and therefore baggage?
oh, that other airlines outside the USA have nowhere near the hand luggage issues that AA has . Fly on other airlines and not have any difficulty finding space
Old May 26, 2012, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by hbtr
I actually convinced myself that the original pic was 5 across (you can see the 5th remote/phone if you look closely). But it's clear that it's just an example. As for the "confirmation," as was reported earlier in this thread it came from a post by AA on their Facebook page.
Yes, I can see the 5th remote, however I believe that it is 3-4-3 because of the gap between the 4th seat and the "5th seat", which seems to indicate an aisle, so the so-called "5th seat" is actually the aisle seat of the left side (the small aisle is deceptive in making people have the same conclusion as you).

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
"Also, as a complement to the enhanced aisle width that comes with this new configuration, we've expanded our selection of amenities available for purchase. Aisle passengers may now purchase shoulder pads to improve your experience every time someone gently brushes your shoulders as they walk down our 10-inch wide aisle."
LOL!!! The FAA won't be too happy about non-compliance with Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (25.815)...
Old May 26, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Get your point, yet don't believe this can happen, as seem to remember that no seat can be more then two seats from an aisle. So the highest density for a narrow-body would be 3-3, and for a wide-body would be 3-5-3

That's why I like the DC-9 (and it's derivatives) so much. The cabin width only supports 2-3 or 3-2. When traveling with only one other person, having a 2-seat row is preferable, and I'll book towards flights that support that config. Also, have flown the 767 and A320 with the 2-seat windows, yet stay away from the 747 with 3-seat windows.
Old May 26, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA

I agree entirely with you, I just thought it was interesting that the image was actively changed on the microsite.

I flew a 3-4-3 777 config on JAL from Tokyo (HND) to Okinawa (OKA) and have to tell you that the experience was hellish and certainly not something I would be interested in doing for a TATL or TPAC flight. The seat was extremely cramped. I don't care what calculations might tell us. Experience is what I go by and 3-4-3 was not at all comfortable. Thankfully I had an exit row so I had space in front of me, but I spent the entire flight not being able to move sideways and this was despite being on a window seat and having a smallish person next to me in the middle seat.

Personally I hope that AA aren't going with a 3-4-3 config but if they do I'll only be on their birds if I can confirm an EVIP upgrade at the time of booking. Otherwise I'll choose the BA option.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Several bloggers who spoke to AA representatives and were told this, after asking questions at an AA conference they were invited to. One of them is Henry Harteveldt.

I'd say having an American Airlines representative tell you something is about as an authoritative source as you can get, wouldn't you?
Old May 26, 2012, 12:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Several posts have been deleted. Some discussed moderator actions, others requested moderator actions to be carried out against others, a few were purely ad hominem and some were exchanges that were highly personal and dilatory to the topic.

The topic may be exciting for some, but please - follow the TOS.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; May 26, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.