Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Dedicated thread for RESPECTFUL discussions of AA labor contract issues (2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dedicated thread for RESPECTFUL discussions of AA labor contract issues (2012)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Curioius that you use the term "various labor groups" when all workgroups except the pilots have already signed their concessionary agreements and did not have their contracts abrogated.

And thus far, there's no evidence of any work action by the FAs or the fleet service employees or the mechanics. Just the pilots.

That leads me to believe that you haven't been keeping up with the news.
No, the point is not who is taking action - the point is ALL the labor groups have to buy into the plan to make it work. Unless it wants to flounder on again and risk going back into Chapter 11 a few years from now, AA needs to concentrate on getting the business right with a solid team pulling in the same direction.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:42 pm

And so what do you do when you lose in court? Cause the airline to cancel dozens of flights every day and delay hundreds of others with work-to-rule maintenance writeups and walking speed taxi.
Depends. If you're an idiot, you keep pulling that cart up the hill as hard as you possibly can. There's a good slave, now. ^

If you're smart, you fulfill your obligations to the fullest extent of the contract or other governing regulations--and no further. @:-)
Old Sep 24, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
This pilot work slowdown is putting pressure on the airline to quickly renegotiate the terms. They'll either get it done, or operate a smaller airline that gets merged, and the management gets buyouts. AA pilots are both significantly increasing the operating costs and reducing revenues from canceled flights and loss of business customers. This situation has a long tail, since AA is handing out miles/vouchers to customers to retain loyalty.

The pilots should calculate how much they want to be under USAir management vs. have a reduced compensation system under AA management.

I don't have an idea of if AA mgmt feels they can afford the current situation for 2 weeks or for months. I'm sure AA finance team, and maybe some large bondholders, have analysts that are running the numbers and sharing calculations on trade-offs, and how much of these short-term costs need to be brought into pilot union negotiations, versus sunk and written-off. Only so much can be written-off.

Overall, AA pilots are a significant stakeholder that will position AA to acquire, or resign the airline to a position where they will be acquired.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 60K "old miles"

Realistically, the answer is probably "no." The unsecured creditors will probably want a consensual agreement before voting in favor of AA's Plan of Reorganization. Additionally, equity investors (be they TPG and/or IAG or others) will also likely want to see a consensual agreement in place.
The UCC wants a consensual agreement but has said it is not necessary. They have drawn a line in the sand with the LBO, AA doesn't have the option to exceed that. I suspect that is more important.

Read Tom Maxon DMN.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by bernardd
I still think the question everyone ought to be asking is who would the various labor groups trust enough to accept the majority of the cost savings / productivity improvements? If they can figure that out, get the new leader in place as soon as possible and get back to business.
I think this might be the best route to go but with that being said MOST of the AA Union Leadership is unreasonable and I don't know how that would work.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Depends. If you're an idiot, you keep pulling that cart up the hill as hard as you possibly can. There's a good slave, now. ^

If you're smart, you fulfill your obligations to the fullest extent of the contract or other governing regulations--and no further. @:-)
That's a nice Maxim you got going there, except, if you stop pulling the cart you get to start over from the bottom, so have fun with that one.

No matter how much everyone explains to the pilots that the cheese in a new location, and it's still pretty good, they are starving for the old cheese and demanding it back. It's like wishing for Unicorns. If this continues, AA looks to be Chapter 7, and then everyone can go find their new cheese on another airline, albeit with a slightly lower rank.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, the point is not who is taking action - the point is ALL the labor groups have to buy into the plan to make it work. Unless it wants to flounder on again and risk going back into Chapter 11 a few years from now, AA needs to concentrate on getting the business right with a solid team pulling in the same direction.
I disagree. ALL AA labor groups have bought into the plan by voting to accept their concessionary agreements except for one group: the pilots. The other groups are irrelevant at this stage - they've all signed six year concessionary agreements.

IMO, that makes the pilots the outliers. If all or even a majority of the workgroups had not consented to the concessions, then I'd see some evidence that it's management's job to evaluate why so many workgroups had not bought in.

With everyone except the pilots (and over 2900 of them voted "yes" on the concessions) on board, I don't see management failure as clearly as I see some pilots who are in denial and acting a bit childish.

The pilot vote was 4,600 no to 2,935 yes. By my count, the pilot concessions would have been ratified if 833 or more had voted yes instead of no.

This is no unanimous indictment of or rejection of Tom Horton by the pilots union. It's some disgruntled employees apparently engaged in an illegal work action. To AA's credit, it has held off seeking injunctive relief so far, which makes sense given how explosive that might be. Think some of them are angry now - just wait until AA files the motion for the TRO.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by lobo411

I don't feel like an idiot because I give my job 110% every day. That's what made America great...in the past, but not now.

I also respectfully disagree with the definition of "smart" and am unable (having worked on commission since 1967 when I got my 1st job) to comprehend-"you fulfill your obligations to the fullest extent of the contract or other governing regulations--and no further."

If I (AA PILOT)am mad at my wife (AA management) because she has/is treating me badly, there is NOTHING POSITIVE to be gained by me yelling and screaming at my golf partners (AA Passengers), who are a truly disinterested 3rd party. And to top it all off, just to really piss her off, I get into bed with my 1st wife (Doug Parker).

Last edited by Dallas49er; Sep 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."

They didn't renegotiate labor contracts as you so charmingly put it - they forced change with the assistance of a judge. They don't have the trust and respect of even 50% of the pilots, and they don't look like they're going to earn it any time soon.
People generally dont like to make less and have less benefits - so that isnt a surprise that 50% of the pilots dont agree. (isnt that the problem of the entire US government - everyone else things others should tighten their belts but not them?) Good thing about the US is that the pilots are more than capable of turning in their letters of resignation and let their feet do the talking if the pastures are so much greener elsewhere.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 4:52 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by 4aks
This pilot work slowdown is putting pressure on the airline to quickly renegotiate the terms. They'll either get it done, or operate a smaller airline that gets merged, and the management gets buyouts. AA pilots are both significantly increasing the operating costs and reducing revenues from canceled flights and loss of business customers. This situation has a long tail, since AA is handing out miles/vouchers to customers to retain loyalty.

I wonder if firing a couple pilots who are pulling this stunt would result in the rest of them fall in line quickly.... In any other industry not protected by an overzealous union would this be acceptable. People would be fired on the spot for the types stuff they're pulling.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:24 pm

Not sure if this has been posted but....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...7bd_story.html

DALLAS — American Airlines officials say they want to resume contract negotiations with pilots, but the union wants a written invitation.

The Allied Pilots Association said late Sunday night that it hasn’t met with management, no talks are scheduled, and no deal is imminent.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn

Journalists are often behind, and this appears to be no exception. This was posted to the member-only part of the APA website late today:

posted on September 24, 2012 18:00

Fellow Pilots,
This afternoon I received a letter from Denise Lynn, American Airlines’ Senior Vice President-People, expressing the desire to re-engage in negotiations with APA. In response, I have scheduled a special meeting of the APA Board of Directors that will begin on Wednesday, Sept. 26 at 1 p.m. Central at APA headquarters to discuss management’s invitation and determine APA’s next steps.

Thank you for your support. We will continue to update you as developments warrant.

In unity,

Keith Wilson
APA President
From Capt Wilson's statement, sounds like the pilots got their written invitation.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:45 pm

Journalists are often behind, and this appears to be no exception. This was posted to the member-only part of the APA website late today:

From Capt Wilson's statement, sounds like the pilots got their written invitation.
Thanks! Sounds like maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by CubsFanJohn

Supposedly the APA is having a board meeting Wednesday to decide whether to restart talks.

Edit:Nevermind, FWAA beat me to it.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:26 pm

Interesting read...

http://riskreportonline.com/2012/09/...ican-airlines/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.