Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

LA Times: The frequent fliers who flew too much [lifetime AAirpass withdrawn]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA Times: The frequent fliers who flew too much [lifetime AAirpass withdrawn]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed - a lawyer probably should have kept him from divulging half of that info, but it would have been to our detriment. Imagine how much more info there must be that we'd love . . .

Also like the fact that he still wants to flies AA, and pays and uses his middle name to do so.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by grahampros
Mr Vroom did himself no favors doing this interview and any good attorney would have advised him not to do it. He pretty much admitted in so many words that he violated terms he was aware existed in the "tariff". He also didn't deny he received payment for the companion tickets he used which is a clear violation.

On first glance of this story when it broke, i was in the clear camp that AA was being ridiculous in breaking a contract they agreed to, even if it was a bad deal on their part. After getting some more facts..esp those provided by the defendant himself, it's pretty clear to me there was abuse that AA was probably justified in cracking down on.

The good news for Vroom is AA likely has much bigger things to worry about these days and will let the case drop.
Not a lawyer, but it would seem that a judge might consider the pure volume of the tariff, whether AA ever notified Vroom about changes as they impacted his type of AAirpass (since they seem specifically aimed at him), did they give him the opportunity to comply with the changes in the tariff rules once if he was notified, did he then comply, and also AA's failure (according to Vroom) to answer specific examples.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:06 pm

AA needs a Herb Kelleher ...

Yeah, they offered a promo that ended up costing them money. Yes, it seems a few
exploited the program for personal enrichment ... but an alternative (creative) settlement
may have been possible. Sadly; there are no "Herb K's" at AA.

FWIW; I was once seated beside a Chicago-based(?) AirPass holder. He was treated like
royalty by the AC, GAs and FAs. His (retirement) schtik was collecting AAdvantage miles
for a Catholic charity. When I checked-in to the AC, the receptionist mentioned that I was
seated next to a "celebrity." I cringed. Actually, I think I swore ... and begged for another
seat. Then she explained the situation. He was a wonderful row-mate.

Last edited by dranz; Jun 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:13 pm

> ... the fact that he still wants to flies AA

Being DFW based, the alternatives are, um, burdensome.

> and pays and uses his middle name to do so.

Yet another possible "fraud" allegation by AA ...
and; yet another tip to those that wish to "game" the
DHS apparatchiks, who will likely over-react to those
of us who use their middle names.

Last edited by dranz; Jun 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Meanwhile back on topic (which does not include claims about the creation of the Internet from ARPANET or the like...) /Moderator
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by dranz
…an alternative (creative) settlement
may have been possible.
Agreed. AA could have spun this particular case into a great media story, putting themselves in a good light. A wasted opportunity, I think.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 8:29 am

Podcast on someone who flew 40 million miles

http://thestory.org/archive/The_Story_61412.mp3/view

I am curious why he would send a letter asking about various hypothetical situations where he got compensated for his airpass. To me, that is what must have led them on to him. Otherwise there is no easy to to find out about it.

Last edited by show_me_the_points; Jun 19, 2012 at 8:39 am
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:58 am

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm curious as to what happened to the other 50 or so AAirpass holders who did not "abuse" their passes? Are they continuing to fly it today? Were only individuals like Vroom targeted, and those who did not book under phony names or sell seats allowed to keep using the pass?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by CX HK
Sorry to bring back an old thread but I'm curious as to what happened to the other 50 or so AAirpass holders who did not "abuse" their passes? Are they continuing to fly it today? Were only individuals like Vroom targeted, and those who did not book under phony names or sell seats allowed to keep using the pass?
I cannot offer a citation, but I remember reading in one of the stories about the Aairpass that a number of pass holders are still using them today. Many have quit flying for various reasons (age, infirmity, retirement, death) and some have moved over to exclusive use of private jets.

I, personally, don't think anyone using the Aairpass judiciously for their own travel needs has anything to worry about.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
Any updates on this?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by NDtraveler
Any updates on this?
I read the LA Times every day. Haven't seen anything since this one article.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
http://thestory.org/archive/The_Story_61412.mp3/view

I am curious why he would send a letter asking about various hypothetical situations where he got compensated for his airpass. To me, that is what must have led them on to him. Otherwise there is no easy to to find out about it.
Presumably, because he wanted to be sure he couldn't be accused of violating the rules later. And, presumably, AA didn't answer because they didn't want to say that any possible scenario would be OK, to leave open all avenues of cancelation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.