Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Odd FA LAX-ORD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Odd FA LAX-ORD

Boarding early morning, LAX-ORD, the FA asked me to reposition our carry on length wise for extra space. I knew it wouldn't fit and after trying and being asked to try harder, the FA relented, allowing me to fit the roll on in sideways.

Our FA was surprised and commented the overheads were the old style - Not hard to notice that. Anyway, no big deal but later, the FA grabbed my worn jacket from the the from the mini overhead bin above our row 3, hoping to hang it up. No thank you, I get cold, but was told "We'll have to do something with it if we need the space.".

The baby bin was empty, I normally don't use it because it's often filled with FA bags, but no problem, do what you have to do. Soon after the other FA pulled the coat out of the overhead as if it was a rag and loudly asked the cabin, "Who's is this?" as if the coat was left over from the last flight. OK. I can't really read into what she was thinking, but I got grumpy. "It's my coat, I want it THERE, thank you.". Ops. I gave her an opening: "Is something the matter sir?". "Are you alright?". Then insert foot on mouth: "No, I'm feeling picked on." As soon as the words were out of my mouth I regretted it, and quickly follow up with, "No, sorry, everything's OK. It's OK, I'm tired, thank you." But it was not to be, they had me on my heels, knowing anything out of my mouth would hang me. Then is started. After some laughing in the galley and odd comments on the, "... already, angry passenger in first." "... he's so grumpy and probably got up on the wrong side of the bed.' All made within easy ear shot and intended for my hearing, I began to take notes for Flyertalk or just as a retort to the heckling. With my head buried in the notes and wife reading, the FA slid into the seat next to us and enthusiastically demonstrated on her smart phone how I could go online, "quickly, before we take off." and log my complaint with AA. My wife said no thank you, I kept my head in the notes and it was over. But not for long. The FA, believing I was running out of space for my notes, returned offering sheets of paper. Then the laughter in the galley really took off. "Should we write him up?" "No, not worth it." It was pretty strange. Then again, and honestly, I'm not joking. The FA returned with more paper. I still did not make eye contact and she went away. Later, from her comments on the PA and confusing service, we came to the conclusion she was "unique." Bottom line: OK, he said she said and I did offer up the comment about being picked on, but the smart phone, the paper and the extended comments and laughter in the galley. How stupid can people be? How would the FA explain that behavior if I had complained?

We're thinking I initially got her attention after boarding first then quickly and confidently loading 2 carry ons inside the bins behind our seats on both sides of the plane. Always have to because the overhead bin above seat 3 is the mini, so I spread them out on either side to be fair. Then, not knowing the plane configuration might have embarrassed the FA (she was insistent, from a distance, it would fit). 15 years ago out of HNL another FA got possessive about her "plane". And in that case as well as here, the F class bins were wide open, staying that way throughout the flight and the FA did not hesitate to "engage" me.

Anyway, the FA really started kissing our ... after discovering the EXP next to my name during service (or maybe it was the three pages of notes I had tucked on my lap) Hey, I kept writing 'cause she was providing so much material. But it was a moment at the beginning of service: Mr. XXX... long, long. long pause.. yeah. that's right, EXP. OK. I do dress more for a cozy MRs than proper "First Class attire" and my airplane coat has seen better days, so the "intimidating", watch and suit were not available to shield me from her believing I was an easy "mark".

Last edited by zznoname; Apr 12, 2012 at 12:05 pm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
wow... just wow.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm almost ready to reconsider my comment here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18377343-post8.html

Cheers.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I find most FAs to be pretty even.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by zznoname
Boarding early morning, LAX-ORD, the FA asked me to reposition our carry on length wise for extra space. I knew it wouldn't fit and after trying and being asked to try harder, the FA relented, allowing me to fit the roll on in sideways.

Our FA was surprised and commented the overheads were the old style - Not hard to notice that. Anyway, no big deal but later, the FA grabbed my worn jacket from the the from the mini overhead bin above our row 3, hoping to hang it up. No thank you, I get cold, but was told "We'll have to do something with it if we need the space.".

The baby bin was empty, I normally don't use it because it's often filled with FA bags, but no problem, do what you have to do. Soon after the other FA pulled the coat out of the overhead as if it was a rag and loudly asked the cabin, "Who's is this?" as if the coat was left over from the last flight. OK. I can't really read into what she was thinking, but I got grumpy. "It's my coat, I want it THERE, thank you.". Ops. I gave her an opening: "Is something the matter sir?". "Are you alright?". Then insert foot on mouth: "No, I'm feeling picked on." As soon as the words were out of my mouth I regretted it, and quickly follow up with, "No, sorry, everything's OK. It's OK, I'm tired, thank you." But it was not to be, they had me on my heels, knowing anything out of my mouth would hang me. Then is started. After some laughing in the galley and odd comments on the, "... already, angry passenger in first." "... he's so grumpy and probably got up on the wrong side of the bed.' All made within easy ear shot and intended for my hearing, I began to take notes for Flyertalk or just as a retort to the heckling. With my head buried in the notes and wife reading, the FA slid into the seat next to us and enthusiastically demonstrated on her smart phone how I could go online, "quickly, before we take off." and log my complaint with AA. My wife said no thank you, I kept my head in the notes and it was over. But not for long. The FA, believing I was running out of space for my notes, returned offering sheets of paper. Then the laughter in the galley really took off. "Should we write him up?" "No, not worth it." It was pretty strange. Then again, and honestly, I'm not joking. The FA returned with more paper. I still did not make eye contact and she went away. Later, from her comments on the PA and confusing service, we came to the conclusion she was "unique." Bottom line: OK, he said she said and I did offer up the comment about being picked on, but the smart phone, the paper and the extended comments and laughter in the galley. How stupid can people be? How would the FA explain that behavior if I had complained?

We're thinking I initially got her attention after boarding first then quickly and confidently loading 2 carry ons inside the bins behind our seats on both sides of the plane. Always have to because the overhead bin above seat 3 is the mini, so I spread them out on either side to be fair. Then, not knowing the plane configuration might have embarrassed the FA (she was insistent, from a distance, it would fit). 15 years ago out of HNL another FA got possessive about her "plane". And in that case as well as here, the F class bins were wide open, staying that way throughout the flight and the FA did not hesitate to "engage" me.

Anyway, the FA really started kissing our ... after discovering the EXP next to my name during service (or maybe it was the three pages of notes I had tucked on my lap) Hey, I kept writing 'cause she was providing so much material. But it was a moment at the beginning of service: Mr. XXX... long, long. long pause.. yeah. that's right, EXP. OK. I do dress more for a cozy MRs than proper "First Class attire" and my airplane coat has seen better days, so the "intimidating", watch and suit were not available to shield me from her believing I was an easy "mark".

I don't fully understand what prompted you to say "I'm feeling picked on".

Were you upset because they wanted to move your coat from the overhead bin? And your logic is that the overhead bin where your coat was is too small for carry-ons, therefore you were entitled to leave your coat there because you were not depriving other passengers from overhead bin space?

If that is the case, I can see that the FA was just trying to do her job (get everybody sit and ready to go) by removing your coat from the OH bin.

As a courtesy to other passengers, regardless of the size of the overhead bins, I always wait until everybody is on and then I can usually squeeze in my coat somewhere or the FA will graciously do it for me (If I am not in F or if despite being in F, FAs did not collect coats)

Now, regardless of the issue, the attitude of bringing you papers to take notes, offering a smartphone to file a complaint, or talking loudly about you in the galley was totally unprofessional. I would write her off.

Last edited by carlosdca; Apr 12, 2012 at 12:42 pm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly. You and your wife brought on two rollaboards (one each) that you knew were oversized and did not fit in the overheads wheels first. The FA asked you to turn them wheels first, and you did so to prove that they were oversized and wouldn't fit that way (in fact, you knew before boarding that they wouldn't fit in the bins wheels first). After demonstrating that, the FA allowed you to turn them sideways in the bins, taking up more than your share of bin space. The FA then told you that you might have to move your coat, which was also occupying bin space. When this happened, it was another FA who had to move the coat, and she asked whose coat it was. You got grumpy and jumped down her throat with your statement "It's my coat, I want it THERE, thank you." You said this, despite having been warned that they might need the bin space.

They thought you were grumpy, and this surprised you? They thought you might have gotten up on the wrong side of bed, and this offended you? I'm not sure how you were expecting them to react. Yes, it would have been more professional for them not to let you know that they had noticed your grumpiness, but human nature being what it is, that didn't happen. The best way to avoid other people noting your grumpiness is not to be grumpy.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by gemac
You and your wife brought on two rollaboards (one each) that you knew were oversized and did not fit in the overheads wheels first.
Just because they wouldn't fit wheels first does not mean they were "oversized".
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Unreal. Just as I am getting used to going to LAX instead of using up Y seats on DFW-SNA.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by farrish11
I find most FAs to be pretty even.
Some are obviously more complex than others, though

The OP's story seems to have been massaged somewhat ("loudly asked the cabin" - how else was she supposed to do it, in a soft whisper?), but the FA passive-aggressively handing out more sheets of paper is uncalled for.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Some are obviously more complex than others, though

The OP's story seems to have been massaged somewhat ("loudly asked the cabin" - how else was she supposed to do it, in a soft whisper?), but the FA passive-aggressively handing out more sheets of paper is uncalled for.
I'd say there's a fair amount of artistic license going on with this story.
Definitely more than the usual FT massaging.

Last edited by izzik; Apr 12, 2012 at 1:10 pm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Fly enough you'll see it all.

Years ago (97 or so), I was flying UA SFO->SEA when security machines serviced only a couple of gates. In-bound very delayed (3+ hours) and they switched gates so everyone had to egress security and go back in to get to new gate. Before boarding, they asked everyone to be quick in boarding so they could get the plane out quickly.

Wife and I in 3A&B, boarded first. Rollers in overhead but purse/briefcase not (saving space for others who were boarding). I wanted to ask FA to put in closet but people were quickly streaming in and I didn't want to disrupt flow. FA announces full flight, please put personal items under seat. By the time passengers stopped boarding, I go to flight attendant with briefcase and purse asking to put them in the closet. She goes off on me with the didn't you hear my announcement, overheads are full, will have to check those items... Also said closet was full and she couldn't put anything more in without risking a write up... I pointed out we were bulkhead first and had boarded first and could have just been selfish and put all of our items in the overhead. Long and short of it was a lot of back and forth and she finally relented and put the (relatively small) items into the closet.

Now things get strange, she comes by when we're airborne to take drink orders. Wife and I both ask for vodka rocks and she looks at me and with a straight face says "I am not sure I should serve you, you seem intoxicated to me." My blood began to boil but before I could say anything, my lovely wife put a hand on my arm and replied in a friendly and stern fashion that was absurd. So, she goes away and comes back with DOUBLE VODKAs on the rocks for both of us. Later, I overhear her talking to another FA that she's bummed she's on the trip as she just had a child and would rather be home than working. So, I understand her reasoning but I gotta say it was pretty crappy behavior.

Finally, I was in a UA Seatac special services customer (kind of like CK, came by to say hello when I flew out, tracked me when I flew, made sure I was upgraded, re-routed me automatically when there was an ops problem...) so I stopped into the special services office to complain just so I didn't get any crap thrown at me. Also, best way to get the last word.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Hilton Gold, Lindy Award Winner (2013)
I would be interested to see the OPs reaction if another passenger decided to jam their carry-on into the bin without removing the "worn jacket".

Not saying I have ever done this but... I could understand SOMEONE ELSE not necessarily taking the time to remove a jacket that probably shouldn't be there in the first place.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:52 pm

tl;dr

Cliff notes anyone?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Sounds to me like the perfect nexus of two incompatible people at a moment of flux and instability.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by elduderino
Just because they wouldn't fit wheels first does not mean they were "oversized".
I guess you're right, it could be compliant. I assumed that since the OP didn't even try it wheels first, but put it sideways automatically, that he was used to it not fitting wheels first (on any aircraft) and that would mean it was oversized. But perhaps it would fit most aircraft wheels first, and the OP is simply the kind of guy who doesn't care, and puts his bag in sideways even if it would fit wheels first. I thought I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.