FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Odd FA LAX-ORD
Thread: Odd FA LAX-ORD
View Single Post
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:32 pm
carlosdca

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by zznoname
Boarding early morning, LAX-ORD, the FA asked me to reposition our carry on length wise for extra space. I knew it wouldn't fit and after trying and being asked to try harder, the FA relented, allowing me to fit the roll on in sideways.

Our FA was surprised and commented the overheads were the old style - Not hard to notice that. Anyway, no big deal but later, the FA grabbed my worn jacket from the the from the mini overhead bin above our row 3, hoping to hang it up. No thank you, I get cold, but was told "We'll have to do something with it if we need the space.".

The baby bin was empty, I normally don't use it because it's often filled with FA bags, but no problem, do what you have to do. Soon after the other FA pulled the coat out of the overhead as if it was a rag and loudly asked the cabin, "Who's is this?" as if the coat was left over from the last flight. OK. I can't really read into what she was thinking, but I got grumpy. "It's my coat, I want it THERE, thank you.". Ops. I gave her an opening: "Is something the matter sir?". "Are you alright?". Then insert foot on mouth: "No, I'm feeling picked on." As soon as the words were out of my mouth I regretted it, and quickly follow up with, "No, sorry, everything's OK. It's OK, I'm tired, thank you." But it was not to be, they had me on my heels, knowing anything out of my mouth would hang me. Then is started. After some laughing in the galley and odd comments on the, "... already, angry passenger in first." "... he's so grumpy and probably got up on the wrong side of the bed.' All made within easy ear shot and intended for my hearing, I began to take notes for Flyertalk or just as a retort to the heckling. With my head buried in the notes and wife reading, the FA slid into the seat next to us and enthusiastically demonstrated on her smart phone how I could go online, "quickly, before we take off." and log my complaint with AA. My wife said no thank you, I kept my head in the notes and it was over. But not for long. The FA, believing I was running out of space for my notes, returned offering sheets of paper. Then the laughter in the galley really took off. "Should we write him up?" "No, not worth it." It was pretty strange. Then again, and honestly, I'm not joking. The FA returned with more paper. I still did not make eye contact and she went away. Later, from her comments on the PA and confusing service, we came to the conclusion she was "unique." Bottom line: OK, he said she said and I did offer up the comment about being picked on, but the smart phone, the paper and the extended comments and laughter in the galley. How stupid can people be? How would the FA explain that behavior if I had complained?

We're thinking I initially got her attention after boarding first then quickly and confidently loading 2 carry ons inside the bins behind our seats on both sides of the plane. Always have to because the overhead bin above seat 3 is the mini, so I spread them out on either side to be fair. Then, not knowing the plane configuration might have embarrassed the FA (she was insistent, from a distance, it would fit). 15 years ago out of HNL another FA got possessive about her "plane". And in that case as well as here, the F class bins were wide open, staying that way throughout the flight and the FA did not hesitate to "engage" me.

Anyway, the FA really started kissing our ... after discovering the EXP next to my name during service (or maybe it was the three pages of notes I had tucked on my lap) Hey, I kept writing 'cause she was providing so much material. But it was a moment at the beginning of service: Mr. XXX... long, long. long pause.. yeah. that's right, EXP. OK. I do dress more for a cozy MRs than proper "First Class attire" and my airplane coat has seen better days, so the "intimidating", watch and suit were not available to shield me from her believing I was an easy "mark".

I don't fully understand what prompted you to say "I'm feeling picked on".

Were you upset because they wanted to move your coat from the overhead bin? And your logic is that the overhead bin where your coat was is too small for carry-ons, therefore you were entitled to leave your coat there because you were not depriving other passengers from overhead bin space?

If that is the case, I can see that the FA was just trying to do her job (get everybody sit and ready to go) by removing your coat from the OH bin.

As a courtesy to other passengers, regardless of the size of the overhead bins, I always wait until everybody is on and then I can usually squeeze in my coat somewhere or the FA will graciously do it for me (If I am not in F or if despite being in F, FAs did not collect coats)

Now, regardless of the issue, the attitude of bringing you papers to take notes, offering a smartphone to file a complaint, or talking loudly about you in the galley was totally unprofessional. I would write her off.

Last edited by carlosdca; Apr 12, 2012 at 12:42 pm