Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple payment methods on aa.com

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Multiple payment methods on aa.com

I'm trying to pay for a flight on aa.com, TUL-YYC, $532. Problem is, I want to use a $500 Visa gift card I just got and put the rest of on my credit, and I can't find a way to use multiple forms of payment.

Last edited by kevinjrwagner; Apr 11, 2012 at 10:27 am
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:38 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Hi kevinjrwagner - Can you clarify if you're trying to book with United or American? (Your thread title says AA.com and you've posted in the AAdvantage forum; however, your post only indicates United.)

(Also see that you've already posted the exact same question in UA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nited-com.html)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
could you buy a 500$ aa gift card with that and then use that?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
As this seems clearly related to UA, it is scheduled to move to the UA Forum if the OP lets us know this post is misplaced. /Moderator
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:13 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
call ua & ask them...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:28 am
Original Poster

sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm actually looking at booking upcoming flights both on AA and UA, so the question applies here too. Where do I buy AA gift cards? On aa.com?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm actually looking at booking upcoming flights both on AA and UA, so the question applies here too. Where do I buy AA gift cards? On aa.com?
Yes. aa.com/giftcard

Or better yet, if you have Costco membership, at a Costco (not in Texas) and you'll get 10% off the face value.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
A note, you can only use gift cards for your UA flight if and only if it includes an AA flight segment on the purchase. This is also true for oneworld partners. Even though they are bookable on AA.com there must be a segment with one AA flight number to be able to use the gift cards.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all your help. It looks like I can use up to 8 different AA GCs on a single transaction. But can I use a combo of GC plus CC? I'd like to use a $500 GC (purchased by my $500 Visa GC) and then use my Citi AA card to pay the rest to get the $150 statement credit. Do any of you know if aa.com is set up to do that? Thanks again!
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by kevinjrwagner
Thanks guys for all your help. It looks like I can use up to 8 different AA GCs on a single transaction. But can I use a combo of GC plus CC? I'd like to use a $500 GC (purchased by my $500 Visa GC) and then use my Citi AA card to pay the rest to get the $150 statement credit. Do any of you know if aa.com is set up to do that? Thanks again!
Yes, you could do that. The limit is 8 GCs + one of the other transactions to pay for your the flight.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pucnit
Yes, you could do that. The limit is 8 GCs + one of the other transactions to pay for your the flight.
I gather this can only be done over the phone?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: QFF
Why does aa.com have such a limited range of billing addresses able to pay with a credit card?

Every time I've needed to book something via the website, I've had to route payment via a friend in the US because the site refuses to accept my AU card.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
Why does aa.com have such a limited range of billing addresses able to pay with a credit card?

Every time I've needed to book something via the website, I've had to route payment via a friend in the US because the site refuses to accept my AU card.
www.americanairlines.com.au/

?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Happy
Nope. It can be done online. As the GCs are added, you can "Apply" them and reduce the balance. At any time you can pay the remaining balance with another form such as a CC.

Cheers.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You should be able to do it yourself online. The key step is that you have to "Apply the gift cards" first and then go to the credit / debit card tab at the top and enter your credit card information to pay the left over amount by credit card.

One note about this is that it takes 1-3 days for ticketing to confirm the gift cards/eVouchers and ticket with other airlines. If you are booking on carriers other than AA.

Beaten by 1 minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.