Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by thetravelabstract
I can add my anecdote to support your claim.

I used Avios Points for international travel (JFK-EZE), used my BA card to pay for it, had my AA Citicards open and I got priority boarding.
You sure that's why? Any time I book an AA flight with Avios I get PriorityAAccess and I have absolutely no idea why No Citi AA cards until this past week, and I'm just a general member. Makes me smile though!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 9:40 pm

You get Priority Access when booking BA because it comes out of Prince Charles's own account(:
Old Aug 13, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sent
Not sure if this has been mentioned here.

My husband booked a Citi Reduced Mileage award for JFK-YUL in May and traveled in June. These are the awards that are 17,500 miles for roundtrip travel between North American cities that vary by quarter. I saw he received a "CITI 10% AWARD RDMPTION BONUS" of 1750 miles for this. That reduces the Reduced Mileage award even further. ^ The only downside to this is that these awards can't be booked online so you have to pay the $25 telephone booking fee.

Thanks, was wondering about this, but AA CSR gave me a shrug when I asked. It makes some of the RMA phone fee pain go away.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielonn
With regards to the AA Admirals Club Passes how does one get two free passes at signup? The Citi Agent noted my account to offer me any special signup bonuses such as miles etc.
I'm not sure what you're asking. First of all, are you sure you signed up for an offer than includes lounge passes? Some offers do, some don't. Most typically, IIRC, you get either companion passes or lounge passes, but not both with the same offer. (And some offers may include neither!)

Second, our experience (in this thread) on the timing of getting the passes varies greatly, but in general it's not superfast, and sometimes takes months. And it's Citi, not AA, who sends you the passes.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
So I was charged a bag fee this morning for my itinerary which was booked with miles, prior to having the Citi Platinum card. Also no priority access on the BPs. Agent politely explained that Citi's rules are you have to book the ticket/pay the fees (if booked with miles) with the card to get the benefits. I explained that it's not written that way in the T&C. Citi emailed me back saying that I should fight it with AA to get it credited. I think I'm just going to get the runaround and it probably won't be worth it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:56 pm

Programs: United, NW, Delta, AMERICAN
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
The Citibank AAdvantage card does not entitle the holder to use the priority lines at baggage check-in; the benefit it gives is with priority boarding. Priority baggage check-in lines are for first and business class passengers and AAdvantage elite members.
Well, the Priority Access notation on the BP's got us through priority baggage check-in, waived into the priority security line, and given priority boarding at ATL, JFK, LHR, and LGA, and we were flying coach, so......
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by cathammer
Well, the Priority Access notation on the BP's got us through priority baggage check-in, waived into the priority security line, and given priority boarding at ATL, JFK, LHR, and LGA, and we were flying coach, so......
+1 my experience too. Nobody looks. If it says Priority AAccess, you're golden
Old Aug 22, 2012, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
So I was charged a bag fee this morning for my itinerary which was booked with miles, prior to having the Citi Platinum card. Also no priority access on the BPs. Agent politely explained that Citi's rules are you have to book the ticket/pay the fees (if booked with miles) with the card to get the benefits. I explained that it's not written that way in the T&C.
The current T&Cs clearly state:
First checked bag free
For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi® / AAdvantage® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number.
[...]
Priority Boarding
For benefit to apply, at the time of booking, Citi® / AAdvantage® account must have been open at least 7 days and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number.
Given that in your post you say that you booked the itinerary before you opened the Citi card, then they applied these rules correctly; however, you seem to imply that your T&C are different (retroactive), so in any communications you need to make sure you refer to the specific language from the ones you got with your card (they typically have a date and/or a code).
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by cathammer
What a confusion. I give up on trying to explain it. Given what you are saying, tens of thousands of people can now circumvent bag check-in lines, security lines, etc.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: United, NW, Delta, AMERICAN
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
What a confusion. I give up on trying to explain it. Given what you are saying, tens of thousands of people can now circumvent bag check-in lines, security lines, etc.
I would guess, if you really consider it, it's not that much of an issue. Given the span of a year, the hours of operation over thousands of airports and millions of flights, the chances of any significant number of users at any one place and time must be fairly small. Since many of those who fly often on business probably already have some type of special status, the extra users might also be fairly infrequent travelers.

In return for this relatively low-cost consideration, American/Citi gets a boost in customer loyalty & card usage. Sounds like a decent deal for both sides.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:15 pm

My wife & I are seriously looking into this card. This may be a silly question, but if approved instantly, would we be able to book with AA using the card, or would we have to wait until receipt of the card via mail?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by VolFlyers
My wife & I are seriously looking into this card. This may be a silly question, but if approved instantly, would we be able to book with AA using the card, or would we have to wait until receipt of the card via mail?
You will need to wait for the card and activate it before you can use it.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 3:55 pm

Anyone have experience with this?

Have this card as the primary cardholder. I have one, and my wife is an authorized user on the account with her own card. She will be checking in for a flight in a week or so on her own. Will she be able to have her 1st bag checked for free?

Called Citibank, and they claim not to know. Anyone have experience with this?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phoenixstar
Have this card as the primary cardholder. I have one, and my wife is an authorized user on the account with her own card. She will be checking in for a flight in a week or so on her own. Will she be able to have her 1st bag checked for free?

Called Citibank, and they claim not to know. Anyone have experience with this?
The benefits apply to the AA account that the Citi AA card is linked to. (It has nothing to do with whether the card was used to buy the flight or not, though there seems to have been plenty of confusion about that early on.)

So the questions are:

1. Which AA account (yours or your wife's) is this AA card linked to? (Ie, which AA account do the miles earned on this card post to?) You cannot link one card to two AA accounts.

2. Which AA account is your wife flying under, yours or hers? If it's a paid flight, I presume it has to be hers. If it's an award flight, it may depend on whose miles were used?
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:50 am

Just got my card and activated it. Will be traveling in 2 weeks on AA from SJC-LAX-SJC and will let you know how it works. My card would have been open for 14 days. So just to reiterate the BPs will say Priority Access so this is great to be able to go to the premium security lanes. I think the annual fee after the fist year is justifiable since I'm not a Premiere AA member.

So does this mean that if my BP says Priority Access I can go to the Priority Access Ticket counter for checkin as well? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.