Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"For any legs of an Explorer award that are on AA flights, must there be Saaver availability with AA or can you book those AA legs as long as a standard award seat is available?"

All legs on an Explorer award -- including those on AA metal -- must come from SAAver award inventory.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by meecal
Hi all,

Planning a RTW trip for my honeymoon next July/Aug. Looking for thoughts/advice from the experts here.

First question: For any legs of an Explorer award that are on AA flights, must there be Saaver availability with AA or can you book those AA legs as long as a standard award seat is available?

Here's my notional itinerary, in business class. Any thoughts are welcome!

BWI-LAX (might use Southwest points for this)
LAX-HNL [Stop] (American Airlines)
HNL-NRT [Stop] (Japan Airlines)
NRT-MNL [Stop] (Japan Airlines)
MNL-HKG (Cathay Pacific)
HKG-JNB [Stop] (Cathay Pacific)
JNB-CPT [Stop] (British Airways)
CPT-JNB (British Airways)
JNB-JFK (South African....not part of Explorer award)
You may want to check the R/T airfare for JNB-CPT. It may be cheaper to buy a ticket than paying YQ on BA. You can save the flown miles and segments for something else. Try Kukula airlines for airfare.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"HKG-JNB (Cathay Pacific)
JNB-CPT (British Airways)
CPT-JNB (British Airways)"

If the Explorer award itinerary is going to end in JNB, then you will not be able to pass through JNB earlier in the itinerary. (No connections or stopovers are permitted at the first or last city on an Explorer award.)

Try pricing the trip home on South African from CPT, rather than JNB.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by guv1976

"For any legs of an Explorer award that are on AA flights, must there be Saaver availability with AA or can you book those AA legs as long as a standard award seat is available?"

All legs on an Explorer award -- including those on AA metal -- must come from SAAver award inventory.
Thank you for confirming!
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by ilovetofly
You may want to check the R/T airfare for JNB-CPT. It may be cheaper to buy a ticket than paying YQ on BA. You can save the flown miles and segments for something else. Try Kukula airlines for airfare.
OK, thanks, I'll check it out. Since this Explorer award is going to be in business class I thought it might be worth paying the BA fees for the intra South Africa flights.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by guv1976

"HKG-JNB (Cathay Pacific)
CPT-JNB (British Airways)"

If the Explorer award itinerary is going to end in JNB, then you will not be able to pass through JNB earlier in the itinerary. (No connections or stopovers are permitted at the first or last city on an Explorer award.)

Try pricing the trip home on South African from CPT, rather than JNB.
Good catch! Thank you! I'll check that out.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP
OK, thanks, I'll check it out. Since this Explorer award is going to be in business class I thought it might be worth paying the BA fees for the intra South Africa flights.
You are welcome. I am pretty sure that intra SA flight on BA business class is nothing to write home about.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:07 am

AA changed my Explorer award from LHR-DFW-LAS-LAX to LHR-DFW-XNA-LAX.

3hrs on the CRJ7 (in first)? I hope they are able to change this without mucking it all up. I'm wondering if it's even worth it at this point.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:56 pm

The latest version of my plan is 18,844 air miles:

BWI-DFW (American Airlines)
DFW-HNL [Stop] (American Airlines)
HNL-NRT [Stop] (Japan Airlines)
NRT-MNL [Stop] (Japan Airlines)
MNL-HKG (Cathay Pacific)
HKG-JNB [Stop] (Cathay Pacific)

I don't actually want to go to HNL (Oahu) though. Want to go to Maui and Kauai.

Am I stuck flying into/out of HNL if I want to use an Explorer award in that there are no reasonable OneWorld flights from either OGG (Maui) or LIH (Kauai) on to NRT (Tokyo)?

In other words, I could fly on American Airlines to OGG or LIH from the continental US but flying out would require an open jaw because my flight would have to depart from HNL. And that's a no go because I already have an open jaw because trip start and end are different. Is that correct?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:13 pm
Suspended

That is correct.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
That is correct.
Darn...this was one of the rare times I was hoping I was wrong. Thanks for confirming.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by sellouts
AA changed my Explorer award from LHR-DFW-LAS-LAX to LHR-DFW-XNA-LAX.

3hrs on the CRJ7 (in first)? I hope they are able to change this without mucking it all up. I'm wondering if it's even worth it at this point.
To follow up on this they allowed me to book into DFW-LAX direct despite being ticketed due to the schedule change that forced them to change routes. I lucked into it but it's a far better option than what was available when I initially ticketed the award to begin with!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Darn...this was one of the rare times I was hoping I was wrong. Thanks for confirming.
I suspect your best bet is to purchase a separate side trip from HNL to OGG/LIH.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), QF GOLD
Around the world

Is it possible to do a one world around the world award with 160,000AA miles?
Old Aug 15, 2013, 3:45 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Yes

Easy if you're thinking of flying Economy

The chart for Partner Awards is here
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp
You could stitch together a RTW trip out of individual 1-way awards

Or you could use your miles to get an Explorer Award - chart here
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/oneworld_awards.jsp

There are individual threads on each in the AA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.