Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This thread is for discussing the announcement of MCE only, and not for the discussion of the practical impacts, seating, eligibility or rollout.

For the general discussion concerning the rollout, seat eligibility and the like, see this thread: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated).
Links to aircraft specific discussions surrounding seating strategies can also be found at that link and questions should not be posted here.
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE Announcement Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
I love it.

How will they get the 777s ready this spring?
If that's the timetable (dunno if it is), that would be easy. It takes a few mechanics just a few hours to remove a row of seats and adjust the seat pitch of several other rows (including adjusting the location of the overhead PSUs). Can easily be done overnight.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by swag

I really hope this isn't the beginning of a trend of devaluing GLD status, though.
This isn't a devaluation in GLD. After 12/31/13 you are in the same position as you are right now.

Just makes Plat better than GLD in terms of flying in Y....where as now they are basically the same...as you noted.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Science Goy
In this case it's a zero-sum game. The devaluation of GLD is a value enhancement to PLT/EXP (in that it gives higher-tier members a better shot at getting these seats).

Do you not consider 100% bonus RDM vs. 25% to be a significant differentiation between the two tiers?
Have they said how many rows of these seats there will be? I'd hope there would be enough for the elites, at least outside prime time business routes.

The exrta bonus RDMs are significant, but their value is post-flight, and it's quantifiable (no more than 37.5K/yr).

Originally Posted by nitrobass24
This isn't a devaluation in GLD. After 12/31/13 you are in the same position as you are right now.

Just makes Plat better than GLD in terms of flying in Y....where as now they are basically the same...as you noted.
Right, and possibly better, if the PLTs opt for these seats and if GLDs can still select exit rows. But almost every other change rolled out over the last few years, PLTs and GLDs were treated the same (bag fees, standby policy changes, expedite fee waivers), so that's the trend I'm afraid is beginning to change.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
I cannot complain about this.

Very nice to see this being rolled out, for those times the sticker upgrades fail me! ^
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econometrics

Very nice to see this being rolled out, for those times the sticker upgrades fail me! ^
Not only that, but for those times you really want to standby for an earlier flight and get home when the flights are fairly full. Previously, if you couldn't get an exit row, you were practically guaranteed a normal economy seat with no space. Now, better chance that you can standby into a seat with more space.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Citi AA Elite, HH GLD, Grand Wailea Elite
Yes! Unexpectedly good news. I'm just curious if there will be issues with window alignment between the seats. Personal peeve I like the windows closed and don't like to start a window territory war.

Originally Posted by econometrics

FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Press release:
http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3466
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nitrobass24

If AA doesn't alter existing E- seat pitch, then Golds are still ahead of where they are today even after 12/31/13. The likely rule then (assuming UA does not change) is that Golds can select E+ at checkin.

It's hard to complain too much about this news no matter what your level. By itself, it's a genuine enhancement for all elites. The downside (for us as fliers) is tougher to quantify...maybe there are some routes that operate at such a high load factor that pulling a row out of each airplane gives more pricing power to anyone flying those routes.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:00 am

While this has obvious advantages, I wonder which/how many seats will be held back. On every flight I have come across recently, 50% of what I consider to be the best seats in coach on the 738's and 763's (exit row that reclines), are available for sale to anyone and therefore are not available to me as often as they were before they were for sale. I guess if the aisle seats in the front of coach that are currently reserved for elites remain reserved for elites, then this is a win-win.

Presumably, AA expects this to generate more money, so it is a "win" for AA (and by extension, us) regardless.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This has real value to me and similarly tall and/or long legged individuals. Enough value to me that I'd pay for it, even as an EXP. But just like upgrades, it will be free to EXPs. I hope that there are enough seats that AA is able to sell some for upcharges to non-status tall passengers (after the elites, of course).
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
While this has obvious advantages, I wonder which/how many seats will be held back. On every flight I have come across recently, 50% of what I consider to be the best seats in coach on the 738's and 763's (exit row that reclines), are available for sale to anyone and therefore are not available to me as often as they were before they were for sale. I guess if the aisle seats in the front of coach that are currently reserved for elites remain reserved for elites, then this is a win-win.

Presumably, AA expects this to generate more money, so it is a "win" for AA (and by extension, us) regardless.
Of course AA does and will hold back "good" seats. There is no better way to lose high-value customers than to tell the guy paying full Y at T-24 that the best he can get is a middle seat somewhere near a restroom in the back of the bus. In the end, as at other carriers, AA has to prioritize spend over miles/segments.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:07 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by alhcfp
We need an OFFICIAL FT abbreviation.

I nominate "Y+"

After nominations are in, we may need a poll to decide.
All of the suggestions upthread have missed the obvious "MCX"

At any rate, I have added some keywords to the title for now for improved searchability. /Moderator
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
I love it.

How will they get the 777s ready this spring?
are the 777 going to be 3-4-3 seating?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:14 am

I am not at all saying that this is not a good thing; personally, I am looking forward to it for myself and my family. I am just saying that I expect that there will be minor, irritating aspects and that, until we see it in practice with real numbers, we don't really know their extent. I imagine that the high fare paying customer is not going to be too happy if he/she can't get one of these seats even by paying extra for it because too many were allotted for sale and they sold out.

Last edited by Ord Liza; Mar 1, 2012 at 10:15 am Reason: oops; meant to quote post 56
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:21 am

What about award tickets

Will EXP or Plat get access to these seats if they are booking award tickets? I know you don't get on the auto-upgrade list if you book an award ticket in coach, but would these seats be available for reservation if i booked an award seat in coach and wanted to sit here (and not spend the miles to upgrade to business or first)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.