Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage Allowance Question AA-JL-CX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 5:47 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by chanp
no, yes and yes. did sfo-hnd on one ticket and nrt-del-hkg-hnd on another.
and why would JAL be your MSC in this case on your inbound?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by chanp
I just flew DEL-HKG-HND-SFO today. CX on first two legs and JL on last leg. I printed out the MSC rules and baggage allowance for JL and just had a few min wait for a supv to show up in DEL to approve. All bags arrive in SFO today.
OP here

I am leaving in a few days and there is an open question. JALPak asked why is JL the MSC? So far no reply.

If anyone has any more experiences to add, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by alhcfp
OP here

I am leaving in a few days and there is an open question. JALPak asked why is JL the MSC? So far no reply.

If anyone has any more experiences to add, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
On the journey from NRT-BKK-KHI, the MSC is covered by rule

For travel between IATA Tariff sub-areas, the carrier performing carriage on the first sector that crosses from one sub-area to another.

The journey goes from the sub-area Japan to the sub-area South East Asia and then to sub-area India

Since the 1st sub-area crossing is performed by JL on the outbound, the JL allowances should apply

My understanding is, though may be incorrect, that the allowances that apply on the outbound now apply to the whole itinerary with the new rules. If this is incorrect, then the CX rules would apply for the inbound

IATA's factsheet http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/stb/Doc..._Factsheet.pdf does describe the resolution as having benefit of "A clear and transparent total fare for the entire journey during purchase" which would be lost if the inbound allowances of a r/t journey were different

What does the booking show the baggage allowance to be?

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 3, 2012 at 3:57 pm
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:22 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
On the journey from NRT-BKK-KHI, the MSC is covered by rule

For travel between IATA Tariff sub-areas, the carrier performing carriage on the first sector that crosses from one sub-area to another.

The journey goes from the sub-area Japan to the sub-area South East Asia and then to sub-area India

Since the 1st sub-area crossing is performed by JL on the outbound, the JL allowances should apply

My understanding is, though may be incorrect, that the allowances that apply on the outbound now apply to the whole itinerary with the new rules. If this is incorrect, then the CX rules would apply for the inbound

IATA's factsheet http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/stb/Doc..._Factsheet.pdf does describe the resolution as having benefit of "A clear and transparent total fare for the entire journey during purchase" which would be lost if the inbound allowances of a r/t journey were different

Dave
I am using 2 one way J awards using AA miles.

Should I combine to 1 ticket?

As long as NRT-BKK-KHI has the JAL allowance, I will be OK, since I am taking more stuff then I will be bringing back.

I just don't want to cut my margin of error too closely, so a little extra leeway helps.

Does CX take being Emerald into account?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 5:28 pm

I am using 2 one way J awards using AA miles.

Should I combine to 1 ticket?
Oh; in which case, the CX allowance definitely applies to the return journey since , as a separate booking, CX will be the 1st carrier for travel between sub continents

As far as should you combine ..

is there award availability to create a r/t award itinerary and are you exempt miles re-deposit fees and , the key thing, does it matter? are you planning to take more than 30Kg?

Does CX take being Emerald into account?
There is no additional allowances for being emerald. You will be gambling on the kind favours of staff at KHI not to charge. If you were a cpl of Kg over, I would expect that in business class you will be ok, but it is a potentially expensive gamble given the USD20 per Kg excess baggage fees for Pakistan to Japan

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 3, 2012 at 5:34 pm
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:35 pm

Dave
I am not sure about that. For itineraries not involving US as the furthest point, if you check out your baggage, i.e. have a stopover, sounds like to me you will have to determine your MSC again with the next portion of the flights. CX's example specifically mentions no stopover.

I believe the only case where the entire journey is taken into account is when the US exception applies.

I could be wrong too. So it would be nice if chanp can explain why JAL is the MSC on his inbound flight and which rule he cited to convince the CX check-in agent who originally believed CX is the MSC in this case.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
I am not sure about that. For itineraries not involving US as the furthest point, if you check out your baggage, i.e. have a stopover, sounds like to me you will have to determine your MSC again with the next portion of the flights. CX's example specifically mentions no stopover.
I am pretty sure that that is not the case and the whole aim behind the resolution was to give a consistent allowance for a journey
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:08 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Oh; in which case, the CX allowance definitely applies to the return journey since , as a separate booking, CX will be the 1st carrier for travel between sub continents

As far as should you combine ..

is there award availability to create a r/t award itinerary and are you exempt miles re-deposit fees and , the key thing, does it matter? are you planning to take more than 30Kg?
AA was able to combine into ONE ticket. No Fees

Thanks for the advice.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:17 pm

I am pretty sure that that is not the case and the whole aim behind the resolution was to give a consistent allowance for a journey
it is consistent in the sense that whose allowance should apply when you check in the baggage and you will have to determine the MSC using the flights between your check-in and the next check-out. And if the entire journey's allowance should be considered all the time, why put No. 2 under the US exception?

http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ficant_carrier

If the exception applies:

1. The MSC must be the Marketing Carrier for codeshare flights.
Example: Los Angeles - Hong Kong travel with tickets bought from American Airlines but the flight is operated by Cathay Pacific.
American Airlines is the Most Significant Carrier.

2. The whole journey should be taken into account when determining the MSC even if the traveller checks out their baggage at one point during the journey.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by JALPak
it is consistent in the sense that whose allowance should apply when you check in the baggage. And if the entire journey's allowance should be considered all the time, why put No. 2 under the US exception?
prior to the change, the allowance of the airline at check in applied; the aim of resolution was to provide a consistent allowance across the itinerary.

I haven't seen anything to show that this is not how it works and without something to support the alternative view will maintain that belief

Checking the itinerary with the airline should show the baggage allowance in effect
Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:32 pm

prior to the change, the allowance of the airline at check in applied; the aim of resolution was to provide a consistent allowance across the itinerary.

I haven't seen anything to show that this is not how it works and without something to support the alternative view will maintain that belief

Checking the itinerary with the airline should show the baggage allowance in effect
And after this change, the allowance of the airline at check in does not always apply. The resolution is to provide a transparent and consistent way to determine whose allowance would apply when you have to interline your checked baggages.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:11 pm

And here are some examples of which carrier is the MSC given by BR

http://www.evaair.com/NR/rdonlyres/F...lution_302.pdf

(or you can read the entire pdf provided by ATCPO which has the same examples http://www.atpco.net/atpco/products/...ementation.pdf)

Example 2 is the one with a stopover. MAX-BDA and BDA-LON legs have different MSC because of the stopover

But in Example 3 and 4, the first step is to check if the published rules permit application of through charges via a stopover point, if it does then you don't have to reassess at each check-in point.

I have no idea what through charges are but in terms of determining MSC, stopover does matter.

But sounds the check-in agents just simply have to press a button to get your allowance displayed. So I have no idea why chanp had to prove JAL's allowance should apply to a supervisor. Unless there's a bug in the system, it sounds more like to me that CX's should be applied instead. And also, as Dave Noble has mentioned, the allowance should be displayed on your ticket too according to ATPCO
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

A soon as I receive the re-issued ticket, I will report back the luggage allowance shown.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:45 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The re-issued ticket (from AA) has no luggage info, except the boilerplate AA baggage info.

Do I have to go onto JAL website with JAL res number to get complete baggage rules?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 9:35 pm

The re-issued ticket (from AA) has no luggage info, except the boilerplate AA baggage info.

Do I have to go onto JAL website with JAL res number to get complete baggage rules?
no. you won't be able to download the e-ticket from JAL website as it is issued by AA. The reservation info page on JAL has no baggage info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.