Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on HNL to LHR (or other Europe) R/T with AA miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA
Help Wanted - HNL to Europe (Paris, London and Portugal)

now I have my reservation on hold:
i am going from HNL > DFW > CDG (20k AASaver)
on my return flight using 50k AA Biz/First: 11/6/12 LHR > LAX (AA137)
then 11/7/12 LAX > HNL (AA297)

I want to stay in LAX until 11/8/12 later afternoon or everning but AA has nothing available, so I tried Hawaiian Airlines which has coach and I don't mind doing that. However, I was told that it will cost me another 17.5k point. Does it sound right? I thought I can stop in a N. American gateway (which LAX is) without costing more points as long as I complete my trip within 1 year. The first AA rep said it is because of more than 24 hrs stop and the 2nd rep said it is because of different airlines even though AA and HA are partners. Now I don't know who is telling me the correct answer so I need to turn to all you experts out there for advise.

BTW, my total cost is $307 ($282 taxes + $25 phone booking fee). Does it sound right to you? (forgive me for sounding stupid caz this is my first time booking an award ticket)

For my reference, what is the normal fee for domestic award ticket? Can you put your reservation on hold via AA.com?

Please feel free to give me any suggestions (i.e. routing, etc....I am quite flexible with about 2 weeks to spend). I just want to see Paris, London and Portugal. Or should I signup for an European cruise to see these places?

Thanks a million for all of your help!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I responded to your inquiries in the thread where you originally posted this. Please go back and check.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by leeflyer

I want to stay in LAX until 11/8/12 later afternoon or everning but AA has nothing available, so I tried Hawaiian Airlines which has coach and I don't mind doing that. However, I was told that it will cost me another 17.5k point. Does it sound right? I thought I can stop in a N. American gateway (which LAX is) without costing more points as long as I complete my trip within 1 year. The first AA rep said it is because of more than 24 hrs stop and the 2nd rep said it is because of different airlines even though AA and HA are partners. Now I don't know who is telling me the correct answer so I need to turn to all you experts out there for advise.

BTW, my total cost is $307 ($282 taxes + $25 phone booking fee). Does it sound right to you? (forgive me for sounding stupid caz this is my first time booking an award ticket)

For my reference, what is the normal fee for domestic award ticket? Can you put your reservation on hold via AA.com?

Please feel free to give me any suggestions (i.e. routing, etc....I am quite flexible with about 2 weeks to spend). I just want to see Paris, London and Portugal. Or should I signup for an European cruise to see these places?

Your biggest screwup was departing LHR in J.
You should have went HNL LAX LHR on J, and do the return ex LIS in Y.
LHR CDG I would take the Chunnel.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by leeflyer

1. It is another award, because you have an AA award, not a partner award.
2. You pay a luxury tax if originatiing in UK, not on a connection.. So, I suspect the $282 for the roundtrip total makes sense.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

One other thought: AA partner Alaska Airlines is starting service between ONT and HNL in June. Since LAX and ONT are co-terminals, you might be able to fly LHR-LAX//ONT-HNL on a single award. Can you leave from ONT? I would suggest trying to price such an award on aa.com first, using the "multi-city" booking option.
Thanks so much for your help.....I am going to look at ONT as an alternative.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 7:45 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with previous thread by OP discussing same trip. Thanks! /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.