Advice on HNL to LHR (or other Europe) R/T with AA miles

Old Feb 25, 12, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, BA
Advice on HNL to LHR (or other Europe) R/T with AA miles

I am planning on a trip to europe. I have 150k AA pts and planning to go in Oct 2012 when it is off peak. I want to use the least AA points (i.e. 20K Economy MileSAAver Off Peak) so I can explore more parts of the world. AA search is routing me with multiple long stops or get in at 10p then out at 8am crazy hours….Thanks so much for your help.
Old Feb 25, 12, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Since this is airline specific I'll move it to the AA forum. Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 12, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
1. Search for optimally timed routings, perhaps as looking for a purchased ticket.

2. Set alerts in ExpertFlyer for preferred flights on all acceptable dates, then move fast when award inventory opens.

3. Don't expect too much for just 20K miles HNL-LHR - it's a screaming deal.
Old Feb 25, 12, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you considered making use of your free gateway stopover? You can spend some time in LAX, NYC, BOS, MIA, etc., on such an award before continuing on to Europe. And you can do the same on the return.

You can also use AA partner carriers on the award, depending on your European destination. But you must call AA to book an award that uses any AA partner other than AS.
Old Feb 25, 12, 9:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Look at HA50 HNL-JFK which gets in early enough that you may have time to connect to LHR on AA or BA on the morning flight. Only two hops and a long overnight flight from HNL to sleep. You can use AA miles to book the whole thing although I am not sure how many.
Old Feb 25, 12, 9:38 am

Programs: EK Skywards Blue, 9W Blue, LH
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you considered making use of your free gateway stopover? You can spend some time in LAX, NYC, BOS, MIA, etc., on such an award before continuing on to Europe. And you can do the same on the return.

You can also use AA partner carriers on the award, depending on your European destination. But you must call AA to book an award that uses any AA partner other than AS.
I found 1 stop flights in DFW and LAX, going on to a codeshared BA or another AA flight from there.
There is the option of spending some times in those cities, which is pretty good, but I also found 2-4h connections in LAX, from AA270 onto various evening departures of British Airways and American Airlines, namely BA282, AA136 and BA268.
Old Feb 25, 12, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Be aware that you will be assessed hefty fuel surcharges if you fly BA on the TATL leg.

In order to have a stopover (as opposed to a mere connection) in a North American city, you must fly on a direct flight (single flight number) from that city to Europe.
Old Feb 25, 12, 9:51 am

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
HNL-ORD-LHR is a good option. You get a long enough flight at night to sleep, and then a 3hour layover before you continue on to LHR.

I checked 10/29
Old Feb 25, 12, 10:10 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by leeflyer View Post
I am planning on a trip to europe. I have 150k AA pts and planning to go in Oct 2012 when it is off peak. I want to use the least AA points (i.e. 20K Economy MileSAAver Off Peak) so I can explore more parts of the world. AA search is routing me with multiple long stops or get in at 10p then out at 8am crazy hours….Thanks so much for your help.
I think the only way to avoid crazy hours is to pick another destination...

Other than HNL-LAX-LHR leaving HNL in the early morning and HNL-ORD-LHR arriving LHR late evening you are not going to find one-stop options without a looong layover.
Old Feb 25, 12, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
I would say any routing that doesn't involve two nights in a row on airplanes is reasonable. On your return, I don't think you will be able fly LHR-HNL in one day. It will require an overnight somewhere.
Old Feb 25, 12, 12:19 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by gemac View Post
I would say any routing that doesn't involve two nights in a row on airplanes is reasonable. On your return, I don't think you will be able fly LHR-HNL in one day. It will require an overnight somewhere.
You can actually make it back in a single day - I do it frequently. AA137 LHR-LAX and then AA297 or AA267 LAX-HNL. You depart LHR just before noon and arrive in HNL around 8pm or 9pm (depending on which connection you take). Works out pretty well, actually.
Old Feb 25, 12, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Be aware that you will be assessed hefty fuel surcharges if you fly BA on the TATL leg.
Effective March 1, IB is assessing fuel surcharges also, albeit at a much lower rate.
Old Feb 25, 12, 3:21 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nitrobass24 View Post
HNL-ORD-LHR is a good option. You get a long enough flight at night to sleep, and then a 3hour layover before you continue on to LHR.

I checked 10/29
AA no longer operates HNL-ORD non-stop.
Old Feb 25, 12, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
AA no longer operates HNL-ORD non-stop.
ExpertFlyer shows AA 72 HNL-ORD as a daily flight in October, which is when the OP wants to travel.
Old Feb 25, 12, 4:03 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking View Post
ExpertFlyer shows AA 72 HNL-ORD as a daily flight in October, which is when the OP wants to travel.
You're correct. I forgot it's reverted to seasonal service. I had it in my head the route was permanently (again).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: