Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Service and Kosher Meal / KSML Questions for Domestic/ International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

How is the KSML out of Barcelona in Coach class? Do they use Hermolis out of Barcelona? I know they use Hermolis out of LHR and other European ports. Since its a lunch flight do we get a hot lunch and a hot snack since the other passengers usually get a hot pizza?

On the 767-300 I was able to get 10A in the mini cabin. For me I don't feel the limited legroom at the bulkead. But beiwng in the smaller cabin will make it easier to sleep. I will see if I can get Row 17 on the JFK-SFO flight. Do the 767 have Personal TV's or is it still the Shared TV as Seatguru states.

An agent said the 767s should have PTVs in all seats.

For the outbound to San Juan we are on a 757-200 and 737-800.

For the complimentary Wine/Beer in Coach do I go by what is displayed on AA.com.It lists premium wines without it designating whether its for Business or First Class.

We arrive at Miami at 5:20 AM and leave at 7:30AM. I would like to use the Club America Lounge in either concourse F or J(South). Can we get there without clearing/reclearing security? Do we have enough time to take a shower and have breakfast there before the flight?

At JFK how far is Terminal 8 to Terminal 4(International Terminal) to use the Oaisis lounge in between flights. After clearing customs at Terminal 8 how does one walk/take the train to Terminal 4 in the quickest way possible.

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2012, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn
How is the KSML out of Barcelona in Coach class? Do they use Hermolis out of Barcelona? I know they use Hermolis out of LHR and other European ports. Since its a lunch flight do we get a hot lunch and a hot snack since the other passengers usually get a hot pizza?
Yes, westbound TATL flights get a hot International Flagship Lunch/Dinner service, and then a follow-on Snack service about 90 minutes before landing (usually pizza and salad).

On the 767-300 I was able to get 10A in the mini cabin. For me I don't feel the limited legroom at the bulkead. But beiwng in the smaller cabin will make it easier to sleep.
The mini-cabin MIGHT be quieter, BUT it includes many bulkhead seats, and bulkheads=babies!

Note that the mini-cabin has slightly reduced legroom over the main Y cabin.

I will see if I can get Row 17 on the JFK-SFO flight.
Go for it! Domestically, these seats are available, but ONLY the gate agent working the flight is able to assign them. The agents try to keep these seats unoccupied so that the FAs can use them between drink services. But, domestically, these seats are NOT technically crewrest seats, because the FAs are not entitled to formal crewrest on flights under 8 hours.

Do the 767 have Personal TV's or is it still the Shared TV as Seatguru states.
Just the main screen.

An agent said the 767s should have PTVs in all seats.
Nope. The agent was misinformed. None of AA's 767s have installed PTVs.

For the outbound to San Juan we are on a 757-200 and 737-800.

For the complimentary Wine/Beer in Coach do I go by what is displayed on AA.com.It lists premium wines without it designating whether its for Business or First Class.
I'll let someone else handle these. I don't drink, so I'm not sure.

We arrive at Miami at 5:20 AM and leave at 7:30AM. I would like to use the Club America Lounge in either concourse F or J(South). Can we get there without clearing/reclearing security? Do we have enough time to take a shower and have breakfast there before the flight?
Nope, you will not be able to access F or J from AA flights, unless you are connecting to a flight that departs from F or J concourses. Those areas are a different secured area.

At JFK how far is Terminal 8 to Terminal 4(International Terminal) to use the Oaisis lounge in between flights. After clearing customs at Terminal 8 how does one walk/take the train to Terminal 4 in the quickest way possible.
It is easy to get from T8 to T4 and back again. After the customs exit, look straight ahead for the elevators to the AirTrain. Take the "All Terminals" train to T4. It is not possible to walk because of the roadway configuration. Allow about 5 minutes for the ride each way on the AirTrain.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
ESpen36had great & accurate info. Wish I could add more but I think it's all already there.

I believe AA.com is the most accurate source for wine and drink options on board.

Definitely no individual in-seat entertainment on the AA 767s, just the main screen. Pack your own tablet/iPad and you'll be fine (I even recommend this on 767 flights with the Samsung Galaxy Tab due to its outdated entertainment options)
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Nope, you will not be able to access F or J from AA flights, unless you are connecting to a flight that departs from F or J concourses. Those areas are a different secured area.
You can access the Club America lounge, just exit the secure area in the AA terminal, then walk to F or J concourse and enter security (just tell the dragon checking the boarding passes that you just want to use the Club America lounge showing your same day boarding pass) . You will then be let in to the security line and TSA will check ur ID and boarding pass

I DO THIS ALL THE TIME b/c Continental/United does not have a lounge and I use the Club America lounge.... btw there are showers at the CLub America lounge, but they charge like $25 or $50, i forget.... free wifi , booze, and soft drinks tho
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Which is the better Club America

Thanks for your tips. I was wondering which is the better Club America Lounge at Miami Airport F or J? How far is the walk from the AA Domestic to the Club America lounge? If our flight arrives at 5:20 AM and departs MIA at 7:20 AM will there be enough time to visit the lounge? I have Priority Pass.

BTW $25 for showers you have to be joking. In Europe I could shower for $5? I can see paying $5-$10 but $25 thats a ripoff.

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The MIA airport site has information on both Club Americas. You can see the J terminal page here, and it has contacts (phone and e-mail) for personnel, for shower information, etc. (The F lounge does not have showers.)

Originally Posted by danielonn
Thanks for your tips. I was wondering which is the better Club America Lounge at Miami Airport F or J? How far is the walk from the AA Domestic to the Club America lounge? If our flight arrives at 5:20 AM and departs MIA at 7:20 AM will there be enough time to visit the lounge? I have Priority Pass.

BTW $25 for showers you have to be joking. In Europe I could shower for $5? I can see paying $5-$10 but $25 thats a ripoff.

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Kosher meal out of Barcelona?

I was wondering who caters the Kosher Meals out of Barcelona? Is it the same meal for Coach/Business Class? I know on BA they use Hermolis so I was wondering who AA would use?

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:20 pm

I hope someone will come along who can reply definitively. In the meantime, since BA and IB are both owned by IAG... you can realistically hope IB also uses Hermolis. But the Hermolis website, though it says IB is one of the many airlines they serve, also says "Hermolis supplies meals to nearly all airlines flying from the United Kingdom, and it delivers to Gatwick and Luton once a day and to Heathrow twice a day."

And since you asked the same question February 6, we will merge the queries.

Safe travels!

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:51 pm

When one orders a Kosher meal, one does not get to choose the caterer.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by skylady
When one orders a Kosher meal, one does not get to choose the caterer.
You are correct! However, knowing who the caterer is, might give the OP a heads up as to the quality or quantity of food.

Furthermore, some observant people make eating decisions based on who the organization or Rabbi is, that certified the meal as kosher.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: United, NW, Delta, AMERICAN
Kosher on AA overseas?

Have flights to & from Italy in July using AAdvantage miles (return is the itinerary from hell, but that's another story). Both have our seats more towards the back of economy cabin, & in similar situations previously on AA, we've been stuck with no meal choice (the pasta nobody else wanted) by the time service got back to us.

I'm thinking of requesting maybe kosher meals to avoid this possibility. Anybody have any experience with these on AA overseas flights, or have other suggestions?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:46 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As your best and/or most detailed/frequent info will come from readers of the AA forum, I'll move this thread there. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Special meals are in principle available to/from Europe; see here:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ecialMeals.jsp

In practice they're not guaranteed and there have been complaints on this board about people not getting their requested meal, so if you're really worried about not getting your choice it's always a good idea to pack some snacks. If you do request a kosher meal, be sure to do so with an AA phone agent (i.e. don't trust the website or any third-party travel agent), and call a day before departure to verify that they still have your request.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:50 am

Welcome to the AA Forum. As you can see, this question has been asked before, so we have merged your query into this thread to keep it easy for members to find the information about KSML / Kosher Meal and American Airlines. (Note the link provided by Science Goy leads to the general SPML / Special Meal page on aa.com. including KSML. MOML, VGML, etc.) You may want to bring your own to assure you are satisfied with the meal service.

We do try to keep information for one airline on a single forum, and we do try to keep information somewhat consolidated so members do not have to search through many short threads.

For more on AA, be sure to read out FAQ and the Wiki linked to. You may find some better seats may be available if others cancel or are upgraded, though these flights to / from FCO tend to run pretty full. And don't forget - again, FAQ and Wiki are your friends - there is generally no charge for changing your award return routing or airline partners as long as the origin and destination remain the same.

JDiver, Moderator / Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by cathammer
OK, although I'm not sure I agree with you, as this isn't really a FF question (or even a kosher question, per se) and might be answered by anyone who happens to have had a meal flight on AA. I'd guess exposure would be better on the general forum, but I'll bow to your judgement.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: United, NW, Delta, AMERICAN
Just to clarify,

we don't need a kosher meal (not Jewish), just thinking that might be a likely option to help avoid the "meal nobody else wants"...if anybody's had a Hindu meal or any other alternate that they have an opinion on, we'd be glad to hear about that as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.