Claiming points for flights taken before becoming member

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Claiming points for flights taken before becoming member

Hi

I have a friend who is trying to claim some points for a RTW flight she took over the Xmas holiday. She only signed up to AAdvantage after she arrived back in SYD although the trip originated and ends in AKL. She still has one flight left on the ticket but was not intending to take it. She rung AA and they have said that she cannot claim for any of the flights she has taken until she completes the intinery. Considering I have used the ex-AKL trick plenty of times before and never had a problem requesting missing miles to post to my account I am wondering if the agent new what he/she was talking about. I don't see why it would be significantly different claiming for a new account v claiming for an existing account

Could someone please clarify?

Thanks

bensyd
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Essentially, AA may be treating the flight like a hidden city issue, and would only allow an active AA account to claim the miles retroactively upon completion of the itinerary. Your friend is asking AAdvantage reps to turn a blind eye to two significant rules.

You may accrue mileage only for purchased, eligible, published-fare tickets on qualifying routes used in accordance with all applicable conditions of carriage, tariffs, rules and terms of ticketing and travel. AAdvantage mileage accrual eligibility on airline participant routes is subject to change without notice.
Hidden city violates this rule.

and

You may request mileage credit for past, eligible transactions up to 12 months from the transaction date. Transactions prior to your enrollment date are not eligible for mileage credit.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As above expect she is too late for AA
IIRC QF allows claims for flights taken up to 30 days before joining the FFP
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the info guys. They said they'd allow her to claim if she completed the itin. So I guess she's off to AKL.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
From where I sit (cold, gray day) AKL doesn't sound so bad...

AA miles are warned on QF according to the fare classes used, shown here.

Originally Posted by bensyd
Thanks for the info guys. They said they'd allow her to claim if she completed the itin. So I guess she's off to AKL.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've only been to Sacramento in the summer, it was hot. I'm sure a few cold, grey days can't be too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.