Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Holiday milesAAver Award Travel Inventory - limits, releases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Embargo vs limited saaver awards
Has AAdvantage instituted an embargo for saaver awards
34.67%
Has AAdvantage limited saaver awards more than past years
65.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

AA Holiday milesAAver Award Travel Inventory - limits, releases

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:01 pm

It doesn't really matter to me whether you believe the agent or not but she was very helpful with the information she gave me. The seven tickets were COACH saaver awards and 5 of them were puchased using points, while 2 of them were just reserved and not yet purchsed. She did not tell me how many first class were released but she said there was one milesaaver still available for the day I wanted so I reserved that.

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yes, I am 100% certain the agent was not telling the truth. Perhaps he or she was confused. Being charitable, it's theoretically possible that there were 7 First Class award seats allocated.

Again, just find me one domestic coach saver award seat after December 12on AA. Any market. I think that gives you tens of thousands of possibilities. Find one, and they we talk about whether these seats were actually loaded and booked.

(BTW, I hope somebody does find one -- logic would say there's some market that's been exempted from the script, but I haven't found one. Don't be confused by the occasional AS flight that pops up as available).
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by denCSA
Just booked my Xmas 2012 travel. Of course, half the entire month is blocked out on AA, so booked AS no issues, on AA.com this time.

Whatever, if AA doesn't want to release the space almost a year out, they can just pay AS for it.
Yeah, as has been noted, you can book AS award seats on AA.com for the Holidays. From what I've observed, there isn't always a lot of inventory, but there's some -- even transcons out of EWR. AS has a multi-tiered award structure and only their lowest tier is made available to AAdvantage members at any price. I suspect this tier won't be replenished in most markets, so it may be now or never to snag these AS seats. And the longer AA holds off releasing any of their own inventory, the faster the AS inventory will go because there's no other good option.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Froog
It doesn't really matter to me whether you believe the agent or not but she was very helpful with the information she gave me. The seven tickets were COACH saaver awards and 5 of them were puchased using points, while 2 of them were just reserved and not yet purchsed. She did not tell me how many first class were released but she said there was one milesaaver still available for the day I wanted so I reserved that.
Other than agent misinformation, there is one other possibility (albeit remote): you CAN book embargoed domestic saver award seats if they're in conjunction with int'l award travel (it's the weird "married segments" thing -- read the threads if you're interested). So, in theory, HNL-Europe is available for the Holidays, but not HNL-LAX. I did this trick last year and I assume it's doable this year as well -- but it's not exactly easy to find seats. Like I don't see any of these out of Hawaii after December 10. If anyone wants to try to get any of these seats from Hawaii, staying up to Midnight might (or might not) be worthwhile.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Somewhat related expertflyer question

So I subscribed to expertflyer to take a look at holiday flights/set alerts/etc.

I noticed that some flights show T0 and others don't even show T. What does that mean (or does it not mean anything)?

I also noticed that F,Y,and Z show 7 (which I understand is the max). I also see by the seat map, that none are assigned (and the front 2/back 1 or 2 are blocked out or assigned). Does having no seats assigned and T0 "prove" that no Coach SAAver was loaded for these flights?

Thanks,
Dan

Last edited by danorum; Jan 31, 2012 at 11:42 am Reason: added Coach in front of SAAver to avoid confusion.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by danorum
So I subscribed to expertflyer to take a look at holiday flights/set alerts/etc.

I noticed that some flights show T0 and others don't even show T. What does that mean (or does it not mean anything)?

Thanks,
Dan
EF will display the requested inventory (T in your case) until it gets two flights where that inventory is 0 and no subsequent flights for that day with inventory. It's a quirk of the GDSs. As for the "others that don't even show T", are you sure those are AA metal flights and not other airlines or AA codeshares where T may be a non-existent inventory bucket?

As an aside, but related to this thread, my own observation is that during the 2012 late December holiday season AA seems to be offering the usual Z inventory on flights to Hawaii. YMMV.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inlanikai
As an aside, but related to this thread, my own observation is that during the 2012 late December holiday season AA seems to be offering the usual Z inventory on flights to Hawaii. YMMV.
"Z" is the saver first class award bucket, right? If so, that's definitely what I've seen, too. It's not exactly plentiful, but it seems like the standard allocations are being made as the dates roll on to the calendar. The same as all the other domestic first class seats. The "embargo" dates don't affect FC availability.

In the case of Hawaii, of course, this means that it can be cheaper to book first class than coach!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by inlanikai
EF will display the requested inventory (T in your case) until it gets two flights where that inventory is 0 and no subsequent flights for that day with inventory. It's a quirk of the GDSs. As for the "others that don't even show T", are you sure those are AA metal flights and not other airlines or AA codeshares where T may be a non-existent inventory bucket?

These were all AA. It showed T0 for the first two and then no T line even for the remaining. If I am only requesting to show T, then I only see those 2 flights.

There is lots of Z as far as I could tell. I have been thinking that for ORD-MCO, even Y isn't too bad and I will gamble on waiting for T to open up, or later on booking Z if I can, and Y if I have to.

Lastly, I also saw that if I wanted to buy now, I could get Z and if T opens up trade $225 in reinstatement fees for getting half the files back.

Dan
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, United Mileage Plus silver, Marriott Platinum Elite
I see the same thing for Hawaii. Looking around Christmas, I notice that the Z saver awards do open up on the designated day BUT nothing opens up for Coach Saver. I guess the difference in the price in December (22K one way in coach saver vs 37.5 in First saver) makes this not a big deal.

I am a bit bummed that the prices to Hawaii have been much higher this year. I noticed that ORD - Hawaii has been pricing around $1300 around the December dates. Last year I was able to book Hawaii for around $625 r/t .... though that was in July for December travel. Wonder if the prices would actually drop?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Awards don't "disappear" at the 330-day mark. That is the earliest date they could be made available. They can be made available then or at any future date.

And if you'll review your own post, you will see the claim that the inventory was "never loaded." The easily found facts have proven the claim to be wrong.
You can book flights at 331 days out.(47 weeks + 2 days) I did so on Sunday Jan 22 for two first class saver rewards for travel lga-ogg on Tuesday Dec 18. The website notes 331 days if you try to book 332 days out. Why do so many people say 330 days out?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before booking my BusinessFirst Saver award flight for Christmas, I checked the paid fare. Only $860ish! No wonder they don't want to make 25k Economy Saver awards available when they're demanding that much for a paid seat! (Those are prices I expect for flights to Europe on sale, which of course are 40k to 60k for Economy Saver.)

Anyone remember if prices also started out this high last year? Last year I remember only checking around August and getting over $600 round trip, but not way over $800 round trip. (This is LAX-HSV both years. Btw, as I noted elsewhere, HSV is losing AirTran service this summer, so I dunno if it's priced higher because of that or not.)
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:06 pm

It looks like on the route I was looking at (ORD-MCO) even all the business/First SAAver tickets have been pulled or sold starting 12/12.

Dan
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danorum
It looks like on the route I was looking at (ORD-MCO) even all the business/First SAAver tickets have been pulled or sold starting 12/12.

Dan
Yeah, that's a bad break. It doesn't seem like they're loading any coach saver inventory for any domestic destinations after 12/12, which I presume is an unsustainable policy. Since they did go back and revise the Thanksgiving embargo days, there's certainly some value in checking back.

The first class situation is interesting. I'll let somebody else do the legwork, but it almost seems like there's now a domestic first class saver embargo during that time as well. I thought they had loaded FC saver seats for Xmas. Does anyone see any domestic market where you can book at FC saver seat after Dec 12?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Why not do the legwork yourself instead of trying to delegate? It's your thread.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:33 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by iahphx
The first class situation is interesting. I'll let somebody else do the legwork, but it almost seems like there's now a domestic first class saver embargo during that time as well. I thought they had loaded FC saver seats for Xmas. Does anyone see any domestic market where you can book at FC saver seat after Dec 12?
I just did a quick check and found multiple domestic FC saver seats after Dec 12 on my first city pair (and that's just what other people haven't already booked up), so I recommend that you not declare an embargo (or almost embargo) without at least looking.

If one poster's report that he/she was not able to find a saver seat in one market showed that there was an embargo in effect that day, then every day would be an embargo day.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
If one poster's report that he/she was not able to find a saver seat in one market showed that there was an embargo in effect that day, then every day would be an embargo day.
That would be true for every zone-based FF program in the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.