Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred plus vs preferred seating on MD80

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
As a very frequent denizen of the MD80 exit rows, I can confirm:
  • Row 20 has greater pitch than 21.
  • 20A does not recline, 20B does.
  • 19A cannot recline into row 20, but 19B can.
  • Row 21 has normal recline.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Originally Posted by swag
As a very frequent denizen of the MD80 exit rows, I can confirm:
  • Row 20 has greater pitch than 21.
  • 20A does not recline, 20B does.
  • 19A cannot recline into row 20, but 19B can.
  • Row 21 has normal recline.
Great....shouldn't someone update seatguru with this info...don't think it's reflected that way. Might be moot once they retire all the mad dogs!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 1:32 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I have noticed more exit rows being available for sale as preferred seats throughout the system. I hope that this does not make it harder to snag an exit row as an EXP.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:06 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Xero
I have noticed more exit rows being available for sale as preferred seats throughout the system. I hope that this does not make it harder to snag an exit row as an EXP.
Harder for all elites, not just EXPs. I view this as a huge devaluation of AA's FF program.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
Harder for all elites, not just EXPs. I view this as a huge devaluation of AA's FF program.
But non elites who want to pay for these seats have to wait til the 24hr period to upgrade. This leaves the window open to claim a preferred plusnexit row seat when booking your flight.

The T&Cs read as if all passengers, including elites would have to wait until the 24hr window to book a preferred seat, but that isn't the case AFAIK since I claimed a preferred only exit row seat 21A when I booked a Jan flight three days ago.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
But non elites who want to pay for these seats have to wait til the 24hr period to upgrade. This leaves the window open to claim a preferred plusnexit row seat when booking your flight.

The T&Cs read as if all passengers, including elites would have to wait until the 24hr window to book a preferred seat, but that isn't the case AFAIK since I claimed a preferred only exit row seat 21A when I booked a Jan flight three days ago.
I can confirm this is not true. I am not an AA elite and can book an exit row in May from DAY to DWF for $14 and DFW to SNA for $24. $76 round trip for extra leg room is on par with Frontier/Jetblue. This is great news for me!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Incorrect. This has recently changed.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Unfortunately, one can inform SeatGuru (TripAdvisor) as often as one likes, but that doe snot mean they will be responsive and modify their (mis)information.

Great....shouldn't someone update seatguru with this info...don't think it's reflected that way. Might be moot once they retire all the mad dogs!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Incorrect. This has recently changed.
Right, haven't been paying attention to all of the email traffic from AA...is this why only two exit row seats 21ab are preferred seats rather than preferred plus? Reserves the other exit row seats for elites only rather than a free for all paid upgrade.

Question is: what does the preferred vs. Preferred plus map look like for other aircraft configurations? How many exit row seats are preferred plus?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Right, haven't been paying attention to all of the email traffic from AA...is this why only two exit row seats 21ab are preferred seats rather than preferred plus? Reserves the other exit row seats for elites only rather than a free for all paid upgrade.

Question is: what does the preferred vs. Preferred plus map look like for other aircraft configurations? How many exit row seats are preferred plus?
It seems to vary by routes. AA 4 LAX-JFK is a 762. There are only 4 seats in the exit row on this aircraft. Of those, 2 are "Preferred" meaning non-elites can buy them. You can check which are preferred by looking at the seat maps under Reservations --> View Available Seats on AA.com.

A dummy booking indicates that AA charges $34 for a preferred seat on LAX-JFK. And for such a long flight, I can bet there will be novelties willing to pay the $34 for the extra legroom.

I "protest" this policy by picking the green preferred seats in the exit row, saving the purple preferred plus seats for other elites.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP

I "protest" this policy by picking the green preferred seats in the exit row, saving the purple preferred plus seats for other elites.
^
I will do the same, every opportunity I have... I hope all FT AA elites will join us in this "protest" against the devaluation of our benefits!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canyonleo
^
I will do the same, every opportunity I have... I hope all FT AA elites will join us in this "protest" against the devaluation of our benefits!
Yes, I thought the same thing...Occupy AA!

Question is: who gets preference for open exit row seats on the day of flight? Elite or paid upgrade at kiosk?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:15 pm

It seems to vary by routes. AA 4 LAX-JFK is a 762. There are only 4 seats in the exit row on this aircraft. Of those, 2 are "Preferred" meaning non-elites can buy them. You can check which are preferred by looking at the seat maps under Reservations --> View Available Seats on AA.com.

A dummy booking indicates that AA charges $34 for a preferred seat on LAX-JFK. And for such a long flight, I can bet there will be novelties willing to pay the $34 for the extra legroom.

I shall do the same
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:14 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by canyonleo
In the comparison of 20 and 21 on the MD80, I'm ignoring recline (again, I think it's rude to recline back into someone if the seat in front of me isn't reclining - there just isn't enough pitch... I'm not over 6' tall though). But, 20 does have 6" more pitch than 21 I'm pretty sure - I used to always take row 21 and about a year or two ago switched to always taking row 20 for that reason.
+1
I don't recline in coach as I too find it rude due to leaving the person behind you not even enough space to read a newspaper. I always choose 20A if it is available.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Unfortunately, one can inform SeatGuru (TripAdvisor) as often as one likes, but that doe snot mean they will be responsive and modify their (mis)information.
What about SeatExpert? Are they more responsive (given that they are a FlyerTalk partner)?

But before we get too excited, SeatExpert says there are three different configurations of the MD80 that AA uses (often subsituted for each other).

So unless the people who report that 20 has more pitch than 21 know which of the three configurations they were on (as actually flown, not just as shown on their seat map ahead of time), I don't know that we have enough information yet to document this precisely.

And figuring out the difference between two of them -- the ones SeatExpert calls Version 1 and Version 2 -- may require measuring seats in the front cabin! Only version 3 actually differs in which seat numbers exist. Version 1 and Version 2 differ from each other in more subtle ways, mostly left vs right pitch in First, but who knows what else they might differ in that hasn't been documented?

http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/76/Ame...0_(Version_1)/

http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/77/Ame...0_(Version_2)/

http://seatexpert.com/seatmap/78/Ame...0_(Version_3)/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.