Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA connection LGA La Guardia & JFK Kennedy, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by pkerr
What would AA's take be on missing a flight out of LGA due to a delayed flight into JFK (their own planes)
If its all one ticket I assume it would be treated as any ordinary misconnect. Two tickets both on AA, AA would likely reaccomodate but for example if the flight into JFK was late AA because of a mechnical situation AA would not be responsible for lodging if an overnight occurs.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:56 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pkerr
What would AA's take be on missing a flight out of LGA due to a delayed flight into JFK (their own planes)
This is tougher but, depending on the amount of the inbound delay, you could make a case that this was a missed connection due to them. I don't know if they have a formal cross-airport MCT. If so, any arrival that leaves less than that would be easy. If not, it's more grey, but AA are (generally) pretty good about this sort of thing.

Also, this is no different than the LHR-LGW transfer even if all AA flight numbers (even though the onward is likely BA-operated). On your/our own.

Cheers.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
if the flight into JFK was late AA because of a mechnical situation AA would not be responsible for lodging if an overnight occurs.
What's your basis for this claim?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
I thought I saw within the past week on this website someone quoting from aa.com that if there are two separate tickets connecting to an AA or Oneworld flight, it's to be treated as one ticket, however, if it's connecting to another airline not in Oneworld, thats when the issues begin.

Edit: Here's the link
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp

Last edited by umaa83; Jul 10, 2012 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Blumie
What's your basis for this claim?
If I purchased say LHR/JFK on one flight (PNR) and and then a separate ticket (PNR) say same day LGA/BNA (likely because it might be cheaper than LHR/XXX/BNA) I would have doubts about AA providing overnight accomodations if my LHR/JFK was delayed for a mechnical. Now I see AA fully protecting me and not charging a change fee/reprice if I miss the LGA/BNA flight.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
If I purchased say LHR/JFK on one flight (PNR) and and then a separate ticket (PNR) say same day LGA/BNA (likely because it might be cheaper than LHR/XXX/BNA) I would have doubts about AA providing overnight accomodations if my LHR/JFK was delayed for a mechnical. Now I see AA fully protecting me and not charging a change fee/reprice if I miss the LGA/BNA flight.
Sorry, I misread your post. I think that we're in agreement that if we're talking about a single PNR, which seems to be the OP's case, he would be protected, but that he very well might not be in the case of two separate PNRs.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the link posted by umaa83 above:

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier

If a customer is holding separate tickets on AA or another oneworld carrier, customers holding separate tickets where travel is on oneworld airlines should be treated as through ticketed passengers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.
I think this modifies the old rule (separate ticket = you're screwed) that existed for what seemed like forever. I haven't run into this since long before 2010 (when this page was modified). It was during a big mileage promo with ORD and PHX several years ago and separate tickets were required. Of course, one of my PHX-ORD flights was delayed and the agent refused to protect me on other ORD-LAX AA flights, claiming no duty to do so (and they were correct). Fortunately, standby was easier then (lower load factors) so I got home OK. Now, on the other hand, it looks like AA would treat separate tickets as a "through ticketed passenger." So I think a room would be provided as long as both tickets were AA/Oneworld.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
MCT
English please.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:12 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
English please.
Seriously? I'm surprised that someone who has been a member here for almost three years hasn't bothered to take the time to look at the Wiki and learn the relevant acronyms

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...Times_%28AA%29

Cheers.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:05 pm

I would just print that webpage and take it with you in case you get a clueless agent (they are out there). I'd also make sure the date printed is on the paper in case AA decides to change policies you can say you booked your ticket when this current policy was in effect.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
From the link posted by umaa83 above:

I think this modifies the old rule (separate ticket = you're screwed) that existed for what seemed like forever. I haven't run into this since long before 2010 (when this page was modified). It was during a big mileage promo with ORD and PHX several years ago and separate tickets were required. Of course, one of my PHX-ORD flights was delayed and the agent refused to protect me on other ORD-LAX AA flights, claiming no duty to do so (and they were correct). Fortunately, standby was easier then (lower load factors) so I got home OK. Now, on the other hand, it looks like AA would treat separate tickets as a "through ticketed passenger." So I think a room would be provided as long as both tickets were AA/Oneworld.
That appears to be correct and a new policy change effective relatively recently. Like you, I had always thought that if you had two separate tickets you were at the mercy of the airline. Now it appears as long as both tickets relate to a OW carrier, you should be protected. The only reason I became aware of this change was someone posted this same link in another thread a few days ago.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL
My last itinerary from ATL-BRU goes like this: ATL-LGA on AA, JFK-BRU on IB, and then reverse it for the return.

I had 3 hrs between landing at LGA to flying out at at JFK. This was in the middle of the afternoon with rush hour traffic. Make sure you can get to JFK 2 hours before your flight. If my I didn't have a friend who's a TSA pulling some strings, I'd have missed that flight completely. They will issue you the boarding pass for the second leg at JFK, not your original airport. All I had was a carry on and it was still pushing it close, I'd make sure your connecting time is at least 4 hrs. I got a ride from a friend from LGA to JFK, and on the return trip I took a shuttle, costs me $12. Good luck!

Last edited by DevilsX; Jul 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold , Priority Club , AAdvantage , Delta SkyMiles
Yes, separate airports = different cities, I have flown from JFK to my destination & returned from my destination to lga, & started at lga & returned to JFK, I do this under the multi city option when booking. I always check this because a lot of the time it will result in a cheaper fare as opposed to a normal round trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.