AA connection LGA La Guardia & JFK Kennedy, what should I do?

Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

AA connection LGA La Guardia & JFK Kennedy, what should I do?

should I first get out my luggage from LGA and then take a taxi to JFK check in again?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:25 pm

Yes. There is no inter-airport luggage transfer service between JFK/LGA. You will have to reclaim your luggage at LGA and take a taxi to JFK. Public transport options between the two airports are limited and not worth the hassle.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:33 pm
LGJ

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, and Starwood Gold
I did an LGA to JFK transfer in September and I took a shuttle van. After claiming my luggage I went to the ground transportation counter and asked for the shuttle to JFK. About 5 minutes later I was picked up and we just made one additional stop to pick people up from the Delta terminal. Then straight to JFK and all for only $10.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP
just ask to standby at the same airport since lga/jfk are co-terminals
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:07 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by jammanxc
Though the OP doesn't specify it, I suspect this is a trip where connecting straight through LGA isn't possible (e.g., international).
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jammanxc
Voluntary standby is now only allowed for elites, full fare passengers and a few other exceptions. Something to keep in mind.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I live on Long Island and the shuttle bus option is the best advice. Taxi cab will be very very expensive if and when the Grand Central and Van Wyck Expwy back up (which it always does). LEAVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME TO MAKE THIS TRANSFER PARTICULARLY IN THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING. I cannot overemphasize the importance of this. On a rainy day from the time you depart the Delta terminal you need to give yourself a minimum of one hour. At a minimum.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
American - LGA and JFK departures (and arrivals)

Some of the award flights I'm looking at have me getting in at JFK and departing from LGA... (final destination ZRH)

A few questions concerning the logistics of that...

On an itinerary that uses both airports, does AA take care of getting your bags to each flight or do I pick up my bags at LGA and make my way to the other airport and "recheck-in"

And what's the typical method getting from one airport to the other?

Thanks
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: AA LTPlt,DL Silv,SPG Gld,HH Diamond,Mar Silv,IHG Gld
You are on your own. There is a shuttle which is the most cost effective way if you are alone. 2 or more cab is about the same cost. It can take anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours depending on traffic
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by SSheinfeld
You are on your own. There is a shuttle which is the most cost effective way if you are alone. 2 or more cab is about the same cost. It can take anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours depending on traffic
So I'm picking up check bags and heading over to the other airport and then starting from square one as it were in regards to check in, etc?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by pkerr
So I'm picking up check bags and heading over to the other airport and then starting from square one as it were in regards to check in, etc?
You may very well be issued all your boarding passes when you check in for the first flight you take, but you will have to check your bags at JFK.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:38 am

Thanks for the info...
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, you're starting over again. It's been a long time since I did the LGA-JFK shuffle with checked bags - with carryon it's no big deal. I would not schedule anything less than a 3 hour layover with checked bags to account for possible delays in checked bags reaching baggage claim, possible traffic and possible lines at JFK.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
The most cost effective way is public transportation, which will cost $2.50 but can take 60-120 minutes. A taxi will cost about $35 all in (at least until the Fall, when NYC taxi fares are expected to rise an average of 17%), and usually takes 30-45 minutes (accounting for traffic). Rarely does it take longer than 45 minutes.

To the OP: yes you are on your own. You collect your bags at one airport and check in at the other. As long as you have time to make the connection, it's not that big a deal.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:40 am

What would AA's take be on missing a flight out of LGA due to a delayed flight into JFK (their own planes)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.