Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA and OpenSkies / EC codeshare (now part of TATL JBV; joining oneworld Dec 1 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

American Airlines and OpenSkies began a codeshare agreement in late 2011.

OpenSkies became part of the AA/BA/IB joint business venture on January 1, 2012.

OpenSkies became an affiliate oneworld airline on December 1, 2012.

Some additional details can be found on the AA website here and here.

-AAdvantage Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

AA and OpenSkies / EC codeshare (now part of TATL JBV; joining oneworld Dec 1 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:57 pm

A big ^!!! Very much looking forward to flying EC and earning AAdvantage miles!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just for reference, OpenSkies Bed and Seat Class seating:

Old Dec 7, 2011, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 7Continents
Originally Posted by ijgordon
In any event, when they join the JBA, shouldn't the fares in theory be the same?
Was checking flights yesterday and the flights I saw for mid Feb. 2012 were in line with J fares to EWR which lately are a good bit less then JFK.
I wouldn't expect fares ex-EWR to be the same as ex-JFK; that's seldom the case. But I would expect the AA fare on EWR-ORY to be the same as the OpenSkies fare to be the same as the BA fare for the same flight once the JBA goes into effect.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:14 am
Suspended

A couple words of warning

- At EWR EC uses the Jet Airways lounge. When I was in it it was overcrowded and comes across more as a temporary lounge. It is also pre-security. Food is same as the BA J lounge and free drinks.

- The Biz Seat recliners are tight when the person in front of you reclines. There are also two types of 757s - ex-Avion and original-EC - they have different configurations. The emergency exit rows are by far the best, but on both of my flights they switched planes between online check-in and airport check-in.

- The lounge at ORY makes ACs look plush and generous in food selection

- FAs are inconsistent and not like BA. One flight it was WN style joking and over the top "I am blessed to be with you today, and I am blessed to be working with the best colleagues anyone could want" to not willing to collect used newspapers and instead instructing me to go to the lav and pitch them.

- Check-in was swift at both EWR and ORY and ORY has a great fast track

- Food was very good both ways, however, it took 45 minutes to get a drink both ways after takeoff. Refills were sporadic, and after meal service FAs disappeared on both flights.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
How will classes/fares be determined on this? J = BizSeat, F = BizBed?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
- At EWR EC uses the Jet Airways lounge. When I was in it it was overcrowded and comes across more as a temporary lounge. It is also pre-security. Food is same as the BA J lounge and free drinks.

- The Biz Seat recliners are tight when the person in front of you reclines. There are also two types of 757s - ex-Avion and original-EC - they have different configurations. The emergency exit rows are by far the best, but on both of my flights they switched planes between online check-in and airport check-in.

- FAs are inconsistent and not like BA. One flight it was WN style joking and over the top "I am blessed to be with you today, and I am blessed to be working with the best colleagues anyone could want" to not willing to collect used newspapers and instead instructing me to go to the lav and pitch them.

- Food was very good both ways, however, it took 45 minutes to get a drink both ways after takeoff. Refills were sporadic, and after meal service FAs disappeared on both flights.

I'd agree with much of this assessment, except that I found ORY checkin excrutiatingly slow, and while EWR was definitely better, it was not "swift."

I'd add that I prefer the ex-EC planes to the ex-Avion ones.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rfrost
I'd agree with much of this assessment, except that I found ORY checkin excrutiatingly slow, and while EWR was definitely better, it was not "swift."

I'd add that I prefer the ex-EC planes to the ex-Avion ones.
PS - On my flight back I asked to have my jacket hung up and the FA who wouldn't take old newspapers told me, "We only hang jackets in First Class."

I felt like asking "which of your planes have First Class or are your referring to Biz Bed?" I didn't bother as I could see it would be a non-starter and I was going to be w this chap for the next 8 hours.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by elitetraveler

hmmm, sounds more like Air France than BA... could it be Paris?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Openskies EQM

Anyone know if one can earn EQM from Openskies flights?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:28 pm

You can not at this time (unless on an AA codeshare)); you can see all the airlines you can earn EQ and RD miles here on aa.com.

Originally Posted by jmr50
Anyone know if one can earn EQM from Openskies flights?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:59 pm

Sale on Open Skies

I bought tix on Open Skies in the beginning of January and just found out they've reduced prices by $500 or more. I called but they said they cannot do refunds--any thoughts?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 2:54 pm

Is there a secret trick for booking tickets on these codeshares? I see the flights listed on EF, but I can't find any evidence of them on aa.com. Do I need to book through a third party site?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:12 am

To answer my own question, these flights suddenly started to show up in flight searches from NYC to PAR. I guess aa.com finally caught up with the rest of the world.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 1:18 pm

BTW, Joe Brancatelli indicates the BizSeat section is sold as "W" fare class by AA - meaning it would earn 1 Base Mile EQM, but only 1, not 1.5, EQPs.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:23 pm

Hi everyone. I'm new at this (first post), so please have patience. I read this thread and I am still confused. I hope someone will help me out.

I booked AA flight 6243 ORY to EWR. It says "operated by Openskies as British Airways". I called American last week, as I was trying to figure out if I'll make EXP this year. They told me that this flight doesn't count for EQM. I called again today, and they told me that it DOES qualify.

So, instead of calling AA a third time and spending another half hour + on the phone with them, I decided to register here and ask you guys--whom know all!

Can anyone tell me for sure if I'll get EQM and AATHX for this flight? Thank you!!!!

I found on another thread that as of Dec 1, 2012 it does count. Posting the answer in case anyone else is looking for this info. <redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Nov 28, 2012 at 6:11 am Reason: Merged adjacent posts; redacted reference to cross-post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.