Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA and OpenSkies / EC codeshare (now part of TATL JBV; joining oneworld Dec 1 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

American Airlines and OpenSkies began a codeshare agreement in late 2011.

OpenSkies became part of the AA/BA/IB joint business venture on January 1, 2012.

OpenSkies became an affiliate oneworld airline on December 1, 2012.

Some additional details can be found on the AA website here and here.

-AAdvantage Moderator Team
Print Wikipost

AA and OpenSkies / EC codeshare (now part of TATL JBV; joining oneworld Dec 1 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:57 pm
SK
Original Poster

American Airlines and OpenSkies sign new codeshare agreement, according to a news release by AA, also carried by PRNewswire et al. Excerpts:

The agreement allows American to place its code on OpenSkies flights between Newark Liberty International Airport and Paris Orly Airport. The codeshare also extends connecting opportunities via Newark Liberty to Dallas/Fort Worth, Chicago O'Hare, Los Angeles and Miami.

This codeshare agreement will further develop into OpenSkies joining the joint business agreement between American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia effective Jan. 1, 2012, bringing added benefits for transatlantic travel.

--------------------

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 22, 2013 at 2:25 pm Reason: move mod note to wikipost
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good news! Thanks for posting - (the post has been moved to its own thread because of the importance of this announcement).
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
About time
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Good for travel to PAR
Old Dec 6, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
I've looked into Open Skies a few times myself but have avoided them due to lack of FF relationship and earning EQM's/EQP's with AA. Once that happens I think I'll be giving Open Skies a try.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
do I gather EQPs if it's a codeshare?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On an AA codeshare, it is as if flying AA for EQP/EQM/MMM.

Originally Posted by phil_flyer
do I gather EQPs if it's a codeshare?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
This sounds like very good news, but I'm waiting to see how the fares play out.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 3:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
What'll be nice is being able to redeem miles for OpenSkies flights! Any news on if/when that'll happen?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 5:57 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
While I will in general agree that this is good news, the final analysis will require a look at the actual fares that AA will be charging for the code share seats. If the same or a (very) small premium, good and well.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wandering_fred
While I will in general agree that this is good news, the final analysis will require a look at the actual fares that AA will be charging for the code share seats. If the same or a (very) small premium, good and well.
Agreed on the code share part. I remember 3-4 years ago trying to get an EVA flight in J on the AA code share but it was like twice the price and corp TA said no... Used my CO # instead and that one flight had an important impact in steering more of my travel toward CO over the next couple of years.

In any event, when they join the JBA, shouldn't the fares in theory be the same?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Agreed on the code share part. But when they join the JBA, shouldn't the fares in theory be the same?
Well yes and no. The JBA would make the flight metal-neutral, so the lowest fare available would carry the same benefit conditions regardless of the airline code that sells it. With the actual codeshare prices though, AA can make those fluctuate.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Agreed on the code share part. I remember 3-4 years ago trying to get an EVA flight in J on the AA code share but it was like twice the price and corp TA said no... Used my CO # instead and that one flight had an important impact in steering more of my travel toward CO over the next couple of years.

In any event, when they join the JBA, shouldn't the fares in theory be the same?
Was checking flights yesterday and the flights I saw for mid Feb. 2012 were in line with J fares to EWR which lately are a good bit less then JFK.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
If only they'd gotten their acts together to make this happen before EC canned the IAD-ORY route.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond
I'm a little upset it took so long to do this. This time last year my better two-thirds and I were close to clicking "buy" on two tickets to Paris from Dulles on openskies, only for me to realize that I wouldn't earn AAdvantage miles.

Oh well, I guess better late than never.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.