Wiki Posts
Search

first trip as EXP, not so happy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by FWAAA
As vasantn has pointed out, call again and ask that your PNRs be refreshed to reflect your new status.
is EXP desk the right number to call? counting today I've called three times. I hope that the airport system indeed is updated once a week and my future trips would be good then.

Originally Posted by vasantn
Sometimes you do get EXP agents who are less knowledgeable than others. Ask the agent to take your FF number out of your PNR and update the record, then re-input it. This may affect your upgrade request timestamp, though.
thanks. will do. certainly I would rather be EXP than an early timestamp as PLT!

Last edited by JY1024; Nov 27, 2011 at 9:23 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old Nov 27, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mingw
is EXP desk the right number to call? counting today I've called three times. I hope that the airport system indeed is updated once a week and my future trips would be good then.
Anyone can call 800-843-6200 and then be routed to the correct "desk" to match the status AA thinks you hold at that moment (if you aren't EXP, then you get routed to general reservations). When you called on Thursday, did the agent answer "Executive Desk"? Same question Saturday and today. Did aa.com show your status as EXP on Thursday, Saturday and/or today?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
I booked the flight and requested upgrade about 8 weeks ago. I became EXP on outbound and I called to make sure I'm EXP on the upgrade list for return. First seg seems okay, upgrade is only at T-4 but email says I'm EXP so no sticker is deducted. Now I arrived at DFW and saw my name is #1 on the list. 5 minutes later I dropped to #3.

As EXP through pax this is not possible, so I approached gate agent and asked what's going on there. He said you are platinum and they are EXP. I showed him my BP and he said: I can't do anything. Computer says you are platinum. I didn't argue and called EXP desk. Agent was nice and said the computer showed me as EXP. She said she can talk to the gate agent. Gate agent tried to ignore me but I asked him anyway. he doesn't talk to any one on cell phone. And he processed the upgrade for the two ahead of me.

Now its a really short flight so I don't care much, but I have 5 more trips booked when I was platinum. how can I make sure I get listed as EXP?
OP, check your AAdvantage account and confirm if indeed stickers were deducted from your account. If they were, then it was obviously a PLT upgrade.

If not, then indeed it was an EXP upgrade and the GA at DFW lied to you when he/she said you were listed as a PLT.

As to why you dropped to #3 on the list, that is not particularly unusual. F passengers who have mis-connected could simply trump you because they would be listed as DSRs on th upgrade list.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
OP, check your AAdvantage account and confirm if indeed stickers were deducted from your account. If they were, then it was obviously a PLT upgrade.

If not, then indeed it was an EXP upgrade and the GA at DFW lied to you when he/she said you were listed as a PLT.
I don't profess to be truly knowledgeable about this subject other than being conversant with what has been posted here over the last 10 years. AFAIK, it is entirely possible that the subsystem that deducts stickers views the OP as EXP, while the subsystem that prioritizes upgrades views the OP as PLT.

However, I'm a bit confused by the OP's statement in the OP that "upgrade is only at T-4 but email says I'm EXP so no sticker is deducted". IME, the standard language is "The appropriate number of 500-mile upgrades will be deducted from your Electronic Upgrade bank for each segment upgraded at departure time" regardless of one's status. Indeed, status is not even noted on the standard upgrade notification email.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:35 pm

I don't profess to be truly knowledgeable about this subject other than being conversant with what has been posted here over the last 10 years. AFAIK, it is entirely possible that the subsystem that deducts stickers views the OP as EXP, while the subsystem that prioritizes upgrades views the OP as PLT.

However, I'm a bit confused by the OP's statement in the OP that "upgrade is only at T-4 but email says I'm EXP so no sticker is deducted". IME, the standard language is "The appropriate number of 500-mile upgrades will be deducted from your Electronic Upgrade bank for each segment upgraded at departure time" regardless of one's status. Indeed, status is not even noted on the standard upgrade notification email.
I too am confused by the OP, and that's why I suggested the AAdvantage account be checked.

As to your first point, I had not thought of that, and certainly wouldn't put it past AA's antiquated system.

Last edited by sukn; Nov 27, 2011 at 11:02 pm
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K

As to why you dropped to #3 on the list, that is not particularly unusual. F passengers who have mis-connected could simply trump you because they would be listed as DSRs on th upgrade list.
DSRs appear on the PALL list but not the electronic upgrade board.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:44 am
Original Poster

I miss read the email as I didn't have much time and I saw "executive members and Y/B blah blah therefore no upgrades will be taken from your account".

Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:51 am
Original Poster

it's interesting that when I printed my BP at home (T-7), there's "EXP" after my aadvantage account number, but then below it has the big "PLATINUM/PriorityAAcess/SAPPHIRE".

since my first leg was upgraded, I got a new BP at the gate and water mark showed "EXECUTIVE PLATINUM" and EMERALD printed below seat.

my account doesn't have stickers deducted for the first leg.

I understand under certain conditions people can trump EXP, but why would the GA to me...
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
OP- you got snagged in a condition that only happens at time of initial qualification. Get your PNRs updated as advised above, and relax. The EXP upgrade process is generally seamless- not guaranteed success- but not usually requiring any intervention.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:14 am

Programs: IHG About to Be Demoted, AA Demoted to Nothingness
Now its a really short flight so I don't care much, but I have 5 more trips booked when I was platinum. how can I make sure I get listed as EXP?
I called AA while between segments as soon as I went over the 10000 EQP mark, and was initially told it would "take a couple of weeks" for the new status to up updated. I asked if it sounded right for me to have paid the money and jumped through the required hoops and still need to wait a couple of weeks. Damned if he didn't update my PNRs, including the one for the segment I was waiting for. It took a few minutes for the change to propagate to the system accessible to the GA at MIA, but she was able to reprint my BP with platinumy goodness.

If they're willing to do that for a plat challenge, one would hope they'd be willing to do it for a new EXP.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
it's interesting that when I printed my BP at home (T-7), there's "EXP" after my aadvantage account number, but then below it has the big "PLATINUM/PriorityAAcess/SAPPHIRE".
That is seriously bizarre, and lends credence to my hypothesis about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:47 am

That is seriously bizarre, and lends credence to my hypothesis about the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.
It would be interesting to hear from folks who fly during the first few days of March after losing or having their status downgraded.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
A few clarifications on the upgrade list

(1) SWU/Mileage+co-pay upgrades do show up on the gate monitor once the person has checked in and been added to the list. They are looking for A/C inventory rather than X/R inventory. In advance, A/C will potentially be available before the T-100 window. And during the T-100 to T-3 time frame, A/C almost always will open before X/R. There are exceptions and its not something an A/C upgrader is technically entitled to.

(2) At the gate X/R/A/C upgrades are prioritized as if they were all the same. A originating PLAT who requested 60 days out will be ahead of a PLAT requesting a SWU upgrade who requested 10 days out. There is a completely legal workaround, however. Here's the scenario: was waiting on JFK-SFO as an EXP. #2 on the list for 0 seats. I switch my request to a VIP. This is when I found out about (1) above - it didn't change my priority. Supervisors were called, etc. and we verified that the above is in fact the case once its at airport control. So I go sit down in the AC and keep hitting refresh. Flight switches to F1 A1, I call the EXP desk (as I had harrassed the AC agents enough), they clear me into the A seat and I ask the AAgents just to print me my new boarding pass.

(3) EXPs can be bumped down the gate list as more EXPs check in (you are not added to the list at the gate until you check in) and such EXPs are thru-EXPs and/or Y-fare EXPs.

(4) IRROPs do not play into upgrade requests, just standby.

Last edited by sts603; Nov 28, 2011 at 8:27 am
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by sts603

(4) B fare doesn't trump like Y fares. Only Y gets priority over all other EXPs within the originating/thru classifications. An O fare advance-requesting EXP who is a thru passenger will trump the Y passenger who bought their ticket yesterday.
What makes you say that? Per AA.com and my EXP benefits guide:

Within each elite level, full-fare Economy Class tickets booked in Y or B are confirmed first, followed by all other fares, in the order in which the upgrade request was received.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 8:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
What makes you say that? Per AA.com and my EXP benefits guide:
Interesting. You are absolutely right about that. I believe I have seen otherwise in practice. Let me go check some priority lists and see if I can find a B fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.