Wiki Posts
Search

first trip as EXP, not so happy

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
first trip as EXP, not so happy

I booked the flight and requested upgrade about 8 weeks ago. I became EXP on outbound and I called to make sure I'm EXP on the upgrade list for return. First seg seems okay, upgrade is only at T-4 but email says I'm EXP so no sticker is deducted. Now I arrived at DFW and saw my name is #1 on the list. 5 minutes later I dropped to #3.

As EXP through pax this is not possible, so I approached gate agent and asked what's going on there. He said you are platinum and they are EXP. I showed him my BP and he said: I can't do anything. Computer says you are platinum. I didn't argue and called EXP desk. Agent was nice and said the computer showed me as EXP. She said she can talk to the gate agent. Gate agent tried to ignore me but I asked him anyway. he doesn't talk to any one on cell phone. And he processed the upgrade for the two ahead of me.

Now its a really short flight so I don't care much, but I have 5 more trips booked when I was platinum. how can I make sure I get listed as EXP?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by mingw
I booked the flight and requested upgrade about 8 weeks ago. I became EXP on outbound and I called to make sure I'm EXP on the upgrade list for return. First seg seems okay, upgrade is only at T-4 but email says I'm EXP so no sticker is deducted. Now I arrived at DFW and saw my name is #1 on the list. 5 minutes later I dropped to #3.

As EXP through pax this is not possible, so I approached gate agent and asked what's going on there. He said you are platinum and they are EXP. I showed him my BP and he said: I can't do anything. Computer says you are platinum. I didn't argue and called EXP desk. Agent was nice and said the computer showed me as EXP. She said she can talk to the gate agent. Gate agent tried to ignore me but I asked him anyway. he doesn't talk to any one on cell phone. And he processed the upgrade for the two ahead of me.

Now its a really short flight so I don't care much, but I have 5 more trips booked when I was platinum. how can I make sure I get listed as EXP?
There are a few dozen posts on FT advising that when you achieve a higher status, you should call and have your PNRs refreshed. Some of AA's subsystems don't talk to one another. You may show up as EXP in one place but still be PLT in another place.

An emailed complaint to CS is certainly warranted.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked the flight and requested upgrade about 8 weeks ago. I became EXP on outbound and I called to make sure I'm EXP on the upgrade list for return.
How many days between the outbound and the return? IIRC, higher status isn't reflected immediately - it takes a couple of days at the least.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Outbound Wednesday, inbound Sunday. I called Thursday and Saturday for other topics but each time I asked about those trips and EXP desk assumed me I'm getting listed as EXP.

My concern is the other 5 trips. EXP desk can say I'm okay but gate agents don't then I have nothing can do?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Outbound Wednesday, inbound Sunday. I called Thursday and Saturday for other topics but each time I asked about those trips and EXP desk assumed me I'm getting listed as EXP.

My concern is the other 5 trips. EXP desk can say I'm okay but gate agents don't then I have nothing can do?
Did you read post #2?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1 MM/ LTG, CX GO, US CP, SPG Platinum Ambassador, National EE
Now I arrived at DFW and saw my name is #1 on the list. 5 minutes later I dropped to #3.

As EXP through pax this is not possible, so I approached gate agent and asked what's going on there.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but EXP pax on SWUs can bump you down the list, as can EXP pax that requested an upgrade earlier than you did.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GullwingSL
Sorry to burst your bubble, but EXP pax on SWUs can bump you down the list.
Not necessarily so at all. And if A inventory were made available, the SWU holders would clear into it immediately and not show up on the display.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I think you expectations were a big high. Not helped by the EXP desk but at that point I think they were placating you. As said before have the PNRs on your already booked flights refreshed to reflect your proper status.

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by GullwingSL
Sorry to burst your bubble, but EXP pax on SWUs can bump you down the list, as can EXP pax that requested an upgrade earlier than you did.
But their names would not appear on the monitor.

From what I understand, status on reservations is updated only once a week. Since the OP traveled on Wed and then on Sun, there in may have been the problem. The remaining reservations should be updated in the coming few days.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I may be mistaken, but I doubt that a flight on Wednesday that pushes you over the EXP requirements is reflected in the various computers on Thursday (Thanksgiving). So calling on Thursday wouldn't do any good, since you were still Platinum (in the computers). Saturday? Perhaps, but I wouldn't count on it. My latest WAG? The computers showed your new status today, but too late to do anything about it.

As vasantn has pointed out, call again and ask that your PNRs be refreshed to reflect your new status.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
OP doesn't say what his routing is, but they did depart from DFW. Some routes ex DFW, an EXP-heavy hub are hard for even EXP to clear, so I hear.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by vasantn
Did you read post #2?
Horse...water...etc.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vasantn
Did you read post #2?
yes. and I answered that I did call to make sure my status get refreshed for the coming trips. twice EXP desk said I'm good. and today the agent assumed me one more time that computer said I was EXP for tonight's trip.

maybe the airport system isn't updated at same time as the other systems, as apparently the first leg I was upgraded as EXP before it went to airport control.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dfwmusicman
OP doesn't say what his routing is, but they did depart from DFW. Some routes ex DFW, an EXP-heavy hub are hard for even EXP to clear, so I hear.
the point is I was #1 then got bumped to #3 (two people with same last name).

theoretically I think EXP with Y/B fare may trump me. but I would rather believe the gate agent that computer did show me as PLT.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes. and I answered that I did call to make sure my status get refreshed for the coming trips. twice EXP desk said I'm good. and today the agent assumed me one more time that computer said I was EXP for tonight's trip.
Sometimes you do get EXP agents who are less knowledgeable than others. Ask the agent to take your FF number out of your PNR and update the record, then re-input it. This may affect your upgrade request timestamp, though.

I just found the comprehensive thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.