Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hit 200K eqp mark----denied 4 EVIP's

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Hit 200K eqp mark----denied 4 EVIP's

In the past, when I hit 150 eqp, I called in and they added 4 evip's. They did it this year at 150 eqp when I called and asked. I thought after doing another 50K eqp, they'd add another 4 evip's (just hit 200K last nite).

So I called AAdvantage customer service---and they said no dice. They say something new is coming and I may be eligible for that. Anyway, if I knew, I'd have put 50K of flying back on UA and kept 1K status. First time ever I went overboard on AAdvantage like this. Anybody know what the reality for this is? tried looking through the AAdvantage earning miles web site and didn't find it.

Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
I believe that because Elite Rewards are currently in progress, AA has halted handing out 2 eVIPs per additional 25K points flown. FWIW, you will still get additional eVIPs under that promotion, if that is the award you choose.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FullFare
Anyway, if I knew, I'd have put 50K of flying back on UA and kept 1K status. First time ever I went overboard on AAdvantage like this. Anybody know what the reality for this is? tried looking through the AAdvantage earning miles web site and didn't find it.

Thanks
You did know that there is nothing in the programme terms that says that there is anything after the 100K earning of 4 systemwide upgrades. Anything that has been given after that is ex-gratia and shouldn't be expected/relied upon
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
You're right. You should have gone for 1K. You flew an extra 50K on AA just in the hope of snagging 4 more SWUs, even though AA officially offers no such benefit, and it didn't work out. Besides, with that much paid flying, when would you ever use the SWUs?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Did you call back and try another AAgent?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Stripe
Besides, with that much paid flying, when would you ever use the SWUs?
for family members or gifting out?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA

... They say something new is coming and I may be eligible for that.

Thanks
Did you get any other detail on what new was coming in 2012 for big revenue or high EQP members?

Cheers
Old Nov 19, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
Besides, with that much paid flying, when would you ever use the SWUs?
J (corporate standard for longhaul) to F (where we all belong )
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the replies. In response to the query as to about the amount of flying, the basic thing is that I and my spouse fly a lot and generate a lot of eqp and rdm's as well as evip's. Between my wife and me, we have 7 million miles combined on UA and AA. Mostly we give evip's and mileage awards to grandchildren and worthy employees.

I did know that there is no guarantee of receiving EVIP' (for over 100k flying) and that there was risk to their not being there, even if they had been there consistently in the past. So, I'm burned and can live with it. Definite regret that I didn't fly those miles on UA, which I could have. Would simply suggest that others be careful, as I will be in the future. No fuzzy feelings for AA, though.

I've often thought that airlines were all the same---just different paint on the planes. Not entirely true, but UA burned us million milers as well by devaluing their lifetime 1P (with the 100% mileage bonus) into a "gold" level with only a 50% mileage bonus. So no hugs over there, either.

We've even got a million DL miles and can't stand to use them because the redeeming values are the worst I've ever seen of any carrier. Don't really fly DL---we get them from using AMEX card.

Regards
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:33 pm

Not great to hear, another story, 200k EQM soon = 8 extra

I hope you should be getting more because 200k EQP is tough to reach, and these should be benefits of high paid flyers unless (well... ). I will finish up 200k soon but I was confirmed with many EXP agents that I will get 8 SWUs more if I reach 200k. I really hope they are correct about it.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
It's distressing to hear they may be locking down on additional SWUs for high EQPs. I'm at about 140k EQP right now and won't put another 10k on AA if I find out I won't get any more SWUs. I'd rather have the 75k RDM for my ELT11 award but for the next 25k I could use a couple more SWUs.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I had a very similar reaction when I got a ticket for driving the exact same speed I do every day.

I hate inconsistency.

I guess I could look at it as being lucky all the times it worked in my favor......
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM
In the past, when I hit 150 eqp, I called in and they added 4 evip's. They did it this year at 150 eqp when I called and asked. I thought after doing another 50K eqp, they'd add another 4 evip's (just hit 200K last nite).

So I called AAdvantage customer service---and they said no dice. They say something new is coming and I may be eligible for that.
I'm sitting at 165 EQP with a couple more long haul trips before year end ... do you think it worth me calling and trying for the 4 SWUs?
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by dnbglobal
I'm sitting at 165 EQP with a couple more long haul trips before year end ... do you think it worth me calling and trying for the 4 SWUs?
Try it and let us know what you hear.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sukn
I believe that because Elite Rewards are currently in progress, AA has halted handing out 2 eVIPs per additional 25K points flown. FWIW, you will still get additional eVIPs under that promotion, if that is the award you choose.
Do you know where they posted this? Sorry, don't mean to generate chores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.