Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW Arrivals Lounge Access - BA.com Can't Say!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
LGW Arrivals Lounge Access - BA.com Can't Say!

Given some reported problems with accessing BA arrivals lounges, I emailed BA.com to ask if I will have access to the BA LGW arrivals lounge as a Oneworld Emerald arriving on a BA flight from BGI in coach in a couple of weeks time. Their helpful reply was: "I am sorry we are unable to advise by email if you can access our lounge."
I wonder if that's can't or won't? Not much use when I was hoping for something definitive to show the lounge gatekeepers in case of push back. Am I right to think that I should be allowed in?
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: AA GLD 1MM DL PLT
Originally Posted by becket5
Am I right to think that I should be allowed in?
No. You are supposed to have a onward OW flight to use a lounge.

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/loung...nes-aadvantage

Also, more specifically: "Arrivals lounges are not included as a oneworld benefit. "
Old Oct 1, 2011, 9:56 am
Original Poster

I was under the impression that since the October 2010 BA/AA link up, this was a benefit for BA and AA Emeralds when flying TATL into LON on either airline. I guess I was wrong.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
I was under the impression that since the October 2010 BA/AA link up, this was a benefit for BA and AA Emeralds when flying TATL into LON on either airline. I guess I was wrong.
All of the press material I've seen and AA.com only mention the Heathrow Arrivals lounges. The official BA page about the T5 and Gatwick arrivals lounges still only lists BA GCH for status based access. If I were you I would try my luck and insist that you are allowed entry at T5 so should be allowed entry at LGW.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 10:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
BA customer service is hopeless (and the term is an oxymoron anyway), IMO.

But - arrivals lounges are generally operated for the airline's own passengers in Business or First, and are not oneworld stipulated perquisites. I'd not count on getting admitted arriving in Coach.

One example: (contact e-mail) 1) first attempt came back with answers that did not at all relate to my question; 2) second pretty much misquoted what I had said and gave me a definitive answer based on misinterpretation; 3) basically "Sorry we can't help you anymore". Trying to call is a massive joke - sometimes I get a busy number, and at other times I go through a voice menu only to arrive at a "that number is busy" message.

This does not make me want to fly BA, and certainly makes me wonder what they might do for me in case or irrops, etc.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Their helpful reply was: "I am sorry we are unable to advise by email if you can access our lounge."

Clearly, the BA rep didn't want to put any statement in writing in case you decided to bring a printout to the lounge, were denied, and then raised hell with BA, thereby potentially making trouble for the rep.

It is also unclear to me whether the lounge dragons (front desk gatekeepers) are actually BA agents or are third-party hospitality contractors controlling access to the lounges on behalf of BA. The last time I went to a BA lounge at LHR, the front desk rep had no training to deal with questions related to flight status, gates, reservations, etc....all the lady knew how to do was to check credentials and offer or deny admission. She admitted as such and apologized, but said I would have to speak to a BA agent to get answers to my questions.

I would not count on having Arrivals Lounge access when flying Coach. As noted, it is NOT a listed oneworld status benefit.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I would not count on having Arrivals Lounge access when flying Coach. As noted, it is NOT a listed oneworld status benefit.
True, but EXPs do get access to the T5 BA arrivals lounge when flying BA TATL in coach so there's a glimmer of hope. It's odd that one rule seems to apply to one London airport and another for another.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 6:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by ESpen36
True, but EXPs do get access to the T5 BA arrivals lounge when flying BA TATL in coach so there's a glimmer of hope. It's odd that one rule seems to apply to one London airport and another for another.
True.

However as far as I'm aware the LGW arrivals lounge is not a BA lounge. It's operated for BA in a hotel attached to LGW, ? Hilton

So this might well be part of the reason for slightly different rules, if you can't gain access

cs
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Amazing what a Google search can provide ...

It's at the Sofitel Hotel, which means exiting the terminal and going through the car park (not as dismal as it sounds).

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...l-arrivals-lou
Who can use it?
BA and Emirates business and first class passengers, and Delta Business Elite customers. There is a possibility that other airlines may be added to the list in the future, including Continental, which has recently moved all its Gatwick departures to the North terminal, although at present its arrivals continue to come into the South terminal (where Continental has its own lounge).
It's also available to Priority Pass cardholders.

About the sniffy comments on lounge dragons, the arrivals lounges I have used have been landside. Arrivals lounges deal with arriving passengers. There is a clue in the name. They do not offer the same airline services as at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.