Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

PHL / Philadelphia Admirals Club (temp location Sep 29, 2011) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHL / Philadelphia Admirals Club (temp location Sep 29, 2011) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:56 am
DKM

PHL club moves

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...nouncement.jsp

It's behind security and staff is moving over, but it looks pretty small.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:09 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DKM

Thanks for sharing the link! I've merged your thread with the existing discussion on the PHL AC club relocation and also added a mod note to the first post. /Moderator
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by DKM

it is small
its full when there are 2 BA flights waiting to depart, so goodness knows where the AC members are going to go ,It does make sense to use it during the day for AC members as the BA flights are both evening departures.
I am not sure how they will arrange the drinks service, the BA lounges have self service alcohol but I believe AC has pay service for all but a few drinks.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by pinkcat
it is small
its full when there are 2 BA flights waiting to depart, so goodness knows where the AC members are going to go ,It does make sense to use it during the day for AC members as the BA flights are both evening departures.
I am not sure how they will arrange the drinks service, the BA lounges have self service alcohol but I believe AC has pay service for all but a few drinks.
I don't think it will be that big of a problem. First, most AA departures depart before BA pax are going to start to arrive. Also, the PHL AC is probably the least-visited AC in the system. I cannot remember a time when I've seen more than say like 7 or 8 people in there at once.

My guess is that the free liqour selection here will remain closer to or at BA standards. A nice little perk for AA elites in an underserved outstation.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: 2,894,211 AA miles and counting
"complimentary" wine....

Not in PHL. The state of PA does not really belive that prohibition is over and has some of the stupidist and most obsolete liquor laws around. The club must chage (1$) for alcohol.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 1:10 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Not in PHL. The state of PA does not really belive that prohibition is over and has some of the stupidist and most obsolete liquor laws around. The club must chage (1$) for alcohol.
Ahh yes - almost forgot about that! I remember seeing all the disclaimers on the Admirals Club website and emails.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp

*Honolulu lounge offers complimentary house beer and wine only. State law requires the Philadelphia lounge to collect a minimum of $1.00 for each alcoholic beverage served.
(underlining is mine)
Old Sep 29, 2011, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JY1024
Ahh yes - almost forgot about that! I remember seeing all the disclaimers on the Admirals Club website and emails.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...miralsClub.jsp

(underlining is mine)
I believe this is an issue with the type of license they have. Or could be a prohibition on distributing free drinks and selling drinks in the same establishment. Regardless, the US Envory lounge certainly has a wide array of free booze. I'm sure the BA lounge is the same way.
Old Sep 29, 2011, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by sts603
could be a prohibition on distributing free drinks and selling drinks in the same establishment
That's the reason, possibly made moot by...

This text: "Complimentary, self service soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits."

and this picture:

Suggesting that all booze may be gratis in the joint Club. If so, I wonder when BA puts out the good stuff. Early enough for those on AA's 6:15 pm flight to DFW to imbibe?

Last edited by dayone; Sep 29, 2011 at 6:03 pm Reason: Clarity.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:04 am

Yuengling! Can't wait to visit the different AC in November
Old Sep 30, 2011, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by ScreenGuy
The BA club (business side) is fairly cramped and if I remember doesn't have any windows.
Kinda describes PHL in its entirety, lol.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by dayone
That's the reason, possibly made moot by...

This text: "Complimentary, self service soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits."

and this picture:

Suggesting that all booze may be gratis in the joint Club. If so, I wonder when BA puts out the good stuff. Early enough for those on AA's 6:15 pm flight to DFW to imbibe?
Behind the trays of snacks, there is usually a row of bottles of spirits, dont know if they have been removed or photoshopped out!
All beverages of any type are free and self service in the BA lounge,no $1 charge. There is a separate area with juices and wine and another wine basket near the coffee machine. I use this lounge around every 8 weeks and will report back at the end of October
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:50 am
DKM

I'll be there 10/8 and will report back, as well.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinkcat
Behind the trays of snacks, there is usually a row of bottles of spirits, dont know if they have been removed or photoshopped out!
All beverages of any type are free and self service in the BA lounge,no $1 charge. There is a separate area with juices and wine and another wine basket near the coffee machine. I use this lounge around every 8 weeks and will report back at the end of October
I think its photoshop to enhance the picture. Note the presence of rocks glasses and tobasco mix (a signature BA lounge item for the Bloody Mary station).
Old Oct 1, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
I had the pleasure of visiting the Admiral's Club in the new BA location the morning it "opened" on September 29. As I recall, they had a full BA-esque breakfast spread, including yogurt, some baked goods, bananas, granola bars, etc., along with a selection of juices and some good coffee in the automatic coffee/espresso machine. Certainly enough to have a good continental breakfast, although perhaps it was only set up for the opening morning? A selection of self-service liquors was available along with a couple bottles of wine.

At about 10:15 am, the breakfast items were removed and replaced with cut vegetables, chips, hummus, and a few other items (I was just leaving).

There is free wifi and there are a few (3?) computers available towards the back. The bathroom facilities appeared quite limited--I think there is one unisex bathroom on the non-F side of the lounge.

They had three (or maybe 4?) newspapers available--the New York Times, Philadelphia Inquirer, and Wall Street Journal. USA Today may also have been there.

The lounge has plenty of windows, but is modestly sized, and it's easy to imagine it feeling crowded prior to a BA departure, or even on a busy day for AA. Still, quite a pleasant experience, and all of the AA flyers there seemed excited at the change of scene.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 10:38 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Visited this AM and can confirm, if there was any doubt, there is no problem at all for Amex Plat entrance.

Definitely small, but a massive step up from the old club in terms of decor and food selection. Although I always had a soft spot for the old club, and the staff was wonderful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.