Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

PHL / Philadelphia Admirals Club (temp location Sep 29, 2011) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond

The current Admiral's Club outside of security at PHL will be closing on September 28, 2011 and be co-located with the BA club in Terminal A - inside security.

This move will be temporary for 12-18 months until AA's operations at PHL move to Terminal E and the former Northwest Club is converted into the new PHL Admiral's Club.

This information comes from one of the PHL AA staff.

--------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR NOTE:

Formal announcement from AA here: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...nouncement.jsp

A More Convenient Location for the Philadelphia Admirals Club

Admirals Club and BA Galleries Co-Locate A Short Distance From A-East Security Checkpoint

The Philadelphia Admirals Club© is moving and will co-locate to the British Airways Galleries Lounge on September 29, 2011, further strengthening the joint business relationship between the two carriers. The jointly operated lounge offers customers access to a lounge inside the security checkpoint with the amenities and services synonymous with Admirals Club lounges. Located on the 2nd level of Terminal A West – a short three minute walk from the A-East Security checkpoint – the lounge is more conveniently located for departing passengers.

In addition to the updated décor with exclusively designed furnishings and more seating, enjoy the following amenities:

- A variety of complimentary light fare and snacks
- Complimentary, self service soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
- Business center with 3 work stations
- Public access computers
- Access to printer and fax services
- 8 tables designed to accommodate 2 laptop users each
- Bar area with TV
- Lounge is open daily from 5:00am-10:00pm with Admirals Club full suite of services available from 5:00am-7:00pm
- Familiar Admirals Club representatives to assist you
For a related thread on the PHL BA oneworld Lounge, see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

For the historical thread on the old PHL landside club, see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

JY1024, AA forum co-moderator

Last edited by dstan; Apr 25, 2012 at 2:40 pm Reason: updated mod note
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
That's great! The existing club is horrible and never should have been opened in that location.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 3:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
The BA club (business side) is fairly cramped and if I remember doesn't have any windows. Although its nice to be inside security, I'm not sure if this is a positive change (although is only temporary as noted below).

Edited to add: Is terminal E being renovated before AA moves? From what I can remember (its been a few years) terminal E is a dump. I couldn't find anything using a quick Google search about the planned move

Last edited by ScreenGuy; Sep 25, 2011 at 3:24 am Reason: Add move question
Old Sep 25, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Then I'll be visiting it one last time on Monday morning. It always seemed like a very temporary setup, and I'm glad to hear that it is moving inside security.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:04 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ScreenGuy
The BA club (business side) is fairly cramped and if I remember doesn't have any windows. Although its nice to be inside security, I'm not sure if this is a positive change (although is only temporary as noted below).

Edited to add: Is terminal E being renovated before AA moves? From what I can remember (its been a few years) terminal E is a dump. I couldn't find anything using a quick Google search about the planned move
Yes, in recent years Terminals D and E have been renovated/expanded - in part due to the large growth of WN and AirTran. Now that they are pulling back in PHL - it appears to be freeing up more space for other carriers.

D&E now have a consolidated check-point and a food court/shopping set up much like the area that connects B&C in the US domestic mainline concourses.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
I always like the Philly AC because I could always get a boarding pass done before security. The "fast" lane in security usually went fast enough. Now I'll have to be sure that I have my boarding passes printed before I leave home.

AA used to be in terminal E before terminal A opened. They only had 6 gates then. As stated above, E has been updated quite a bit recently.

Last edited by phillyjoe; Sep 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm Reason: Forgot to add info
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Will Amex Platinum Cards be honored for entrance? Or, will this be considered a BA lounge where they let AC members in?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by ScreenGuy
The BA club (business side) is fairly cramped and if I remember doesn't have any windows. Although its nice to be inside security, I'm not sure if this is a positive change (although is only temporary as noted below).........
Are you referring to the old BA Club in A-East or the relatively new BA (First/Club World) Galleries Club in A-West?
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by perseus11
Are you referring to the old BA Club in A-East or the relatively new BA (First/Club World) Galleries Club in A-West?
I would assume the move to "E" is being coordinated with the opening of the new club, else it's a Looong haul (or Bus Ride) from the A-West BA Club to E.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I wonder if they'll grant access to both, but with EXP members having access to the First/Club World club much like how EXP's have access to the Flagship lounges.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by nishantmurarka
I wonder if they'll grant access to both, but with EXP members having access to the First/Club World club much like how EXP's have access to the Flagship lounges.
My guess is the F section will remain available to EXPs only flying on same-day international itineraries. That said, given the likely expanded hours of the BA lounge to accomodate AA access - having F lounge access at an AA outstation will be quite the odd (and nice) perk for an outstation as small (from an AA perspective) as PHL.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
That is great news. That club has the worst location I can imagine. Recently I had a 3 hour delay at PHL and I waited in the terminal rather than go back outside security.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Yes, in recent years Terminals D and E have been renovated/expanded - in part due to the large growth of WN and AirTran. Now that they are pulling back in PHL - it appears to be freeing up more space for other carriers.

D&E now have a consolidated check-point and a food court/shopping set up much like the area that connects B&C in the US domestic mainline concourses.
Although E used to be awful, it is now more pleasant than A-East, and the Vino Volo in the D-E connector is a better place to eat than anything in A-East (there is also a Chickie's and Pete's in E for those needing a cheesesteak fix). Security is much, much easier at A-East than at the D-E connector, however, and the move will make AA less attractive in this respect.

Originally Posted by nishantmurarka
The old BA club in A-East is no more (I think it's now a USO, but I'm not sure about that).

I have been extremely impressed by the AAdmiral's Club staff on the few occasions I have visited the PHL club and hope that they will remain in the new club.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Will Amex Platinum Cards be honored for entrance? Or, will this be considered a BA lounge where they let AC members in?
I can't imagine why they wouldn't let in Amex Plat cards if they're co-branding as an AC.

That said, I'm flying in to PHL on 9/30 and use Amex to get in, so I'll post an update!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 3:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
While the staff was great, I always found the PHL AC to be the worst AC in the system. I believe this means the last outside security Admirals Club is now closed. Funny to think that a few years ago, both JFK locations were outside security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.