Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIH-LAX: No food in coach

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
It seems rather unacceptable on AA's part to not offer much BOB on these long flights. I would email AA customer service and voice your displeasure.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 1:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO that's a good start. Maybe it could result in some miles, and who knows? Mirabile dictu, they might even pay attention.

Originally Posted by formeraa
It seems rather unacceptable on AA's part to not offer much BOB on these long flights. I would email AA customer service and voice your displeasure.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 2:56 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Flying HNL-SFO a couple of weeks ago with just carry-ons, there was no Ag inspection, just the GOLD line TSA.
The ag inspectors are at the TSA chekpoints and viewing the same scan images as the TSA clowns - just in a different spot.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I never assume there will be BOB on any flight. I also do not count on the food served in higher classes of service that economy/coach to be anything I can eat with my severe allergies.

I bring along a few granola bars and buy something fresh when past security in the airport.

I gave up on BOB when the only thing left was a bag of very, very salty nuts.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Heh, heh - one can not assume there will be FOOD on board, even if they offer BOB! With allergies, sodium restrictions, issues with sugar, gluten, seafood, nuts, etc. it's also safer to BYO.

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I never assume there will be BOB on any flight. I also do not count on the food served in higher classes of service that economy/coach to be anything I can eat with my severe allergies.

I bring along a few granola bars and buy something fresh when past security in the airport.

I gave up on BOB when the only thing left was a bag of very, very salty nuts.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNL
The ag inspectors are at the TSA chekpoints and viewing the same scan images as the TSA clowns - just in a different spot.
Ah, I get it now. thanks.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by JDiver
Heh, heh - one can not assume there will be FOOD on board, even if they offer BOB! With allergies, sodium restrictions, issues with sugar, gluten, seafood, nuts, etc. it's also safer to BYO.
You got that right, JDiver!

The BOB nuts have enough sodium to make a middle aged person very uncomfortable.

Or worse!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 4:14 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by schwarm
While we had the regular buy-on-board options on the way out, there was absolutely no food at all offered on the return, LIH-LAX, afternoon flight 266. No food for purchase, no snacks, no nuts, nothing.

Is this the usual?
Originally Posted by rearview
I believe this is the usual on all Hawaii flights now. Had the same thing on DFW-OGG.

Rationale I've heard around here is that they are very low margin or potentially loss-leading flights and customers are extremely price sensitive on this route. Thus AA cuts out the meals to make the flights a more profitable/less negative without jacking up the price. AA assumes that customers, since they really just want a cheap flight to get to Hawaii, won't mind too much.

See this thread for more info/speculation: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-more-ife.html
There should have been at least some nuts/cookies/chips, but no fresh BOB (i.e. no sandwiches or salads). There are no catering facilities at the LIH station, so the flights are double-catered from the mainland. I would think that there would be different BOB carts for the outbound and inbound flights so that the inbound flight doesn't buy/eat all the available BOB, but that could be too logical for AA.

The last time I was there, the LIH gate agent did indeed tell everybody in the gate area that there was very very limited BOB, so folks should buy food in the "terminal." FAs also mentioned that there would be no fresh items on-board, but they would have limited snacks for sale.

Originally Posted by HNL
The last time I was at LIH, the USDA inspectors had their own conveyor belt at the Gate 3/4 entrance, separate from TSA/security.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Remember that when departing Hawaii for the US Mainland, you are required to pass through US Dept of Agriculture inspection. If you have any fresh fruit items acquired in Hawaii (except pineapples), you will have to surrender them before you enter the secure area.

Last time I departed HNL I had an apple taken away from me. The irony? The sticker on the apple said "product of Chile" and was probably imported via the US Mainland in the first place!
There are different import requirements for certain foreign fruit to Hawaii from other countries that are less stringent than those to the US mainland. I don't know if apples are in that category, but even if they are not, just having a sticker on it doesn't really say much. The sticker on fruit is to inform the consumer as to where it came from - Customs and ag inspection use other paperwork from the original shipment.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
I think everyone who has been inconvenienced and/or caught off guard by this should write a polite letter to AA CS (requesting a forward to mgmt in charge of catering) asking them to consider that it would be great for inspiring repeat business to offer at least some unsalted nuts, (if possible) some dried fruit, and some grain-based complex carbs on these HI-mainland flights. They won't care (or possibly even know) unless pax complain to the people who can do something about it. (Never mind that it should be common sense for them to provide ample, appropriate offerings.)
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:54 pm

Oh please...Cry me a river.

AA has had BOB since early 2005...Anybody who flies with any regularity knows that the BOB offering can be inconsistent at times...either not stocked appropriately, or passenger demand outstrips supply.

Bring your own damn food next time and quit crying because today's airlines don't take care of your every need!
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by built
Bring your own damn food next time and quit crying because today's airlines don't take care of your every need!
That is such a sad statement; the OP was trying to buy food (i.e. give AA some sorely needed money), not complaining about the lack of a free meal.

Goes well with the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...epressing.html
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:47 pm
Suspended

AA has had BOB since early 2005...Anybody who flies with any regularity knows that the BOB offering can be inconsistent at times...either not stocked appropriately, or passenger demand outstrips supply.

More a 'river of bad planning' IMO that after 5 years AA can't provision flights correctly to maximize revenue opportunities from BOB.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.

In fact, we did just fine with no food. I wasn't born yesterday and know not to expect anything palatable, even for purchase.

I simply found it odd that there was not even a single scrap of any sort of food on offer.

Also, the galley looked as though a tornado had been through.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

While it's never a bad idea to plan ahead and bring one's own food, it's also very reasonable to expect that, after 6 years of offering this option, AA would have a clue about how to do it properly.

The sad part is AA's inability to make something as simple as this work properly and consistently.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.