Wiki Posts
Search

Reading here what's happening to AA is Just Depressing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, AA Platinum
Reading here what's happening to AA is Just Depressing

The AA forum is simply depressing to read - route cancellations and the like. I have to admit I am only PLT on AA and Diamond on DL so I don't pay close attention to everything AA but the stories I am hearing about their reduced market share out of NYC airports, route cancellations and the much stronger presence at LAX by Delta and the "new United" just has me wondering what happened to the once largest airline? I know for me it was a horrific experience on a DFW bound 757 in Feb 2010 that lost cabin pressure, oxygen masks dropped - the whole drill. Hence Diamond on Delta in less than a year.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:35 pm

Reality can sometimes be depressing
Old Sep 17, 2011, 1:50 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

While a mishap while flying is stressful and unpleasant, I wouldn't switch loyalty because of such an event unless they didn't act professionally during the event or treat you right (apology) afterwards. Bad stuff can and does happen to all airlines.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
While a mishap while flying is stressful and unpleasant, I wouldn't switch loyalty because of such an event unless they didn't act professionally during the event or treat you right (apology) afterwards. Bad stuff can and does happen to all airlines.
True, but from a psychological standpoint, switching airlines after a traumatic event can be very helpful. Not only that, but depending on what kind of traveling the OP does, he might be better of with Delta.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by nypdLieu
True, but from a psychological standpoint, switching airlines after a traumatic event can be very helpful. Not only that, but depending on what kind of traveling the OP does, he might be better of with Delta.
There is no travel profile that is better on DL.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
There is no travel profile that is better on DL.
True for an EXP like you....
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
AA has a much larger presence at LAX than DL--but I can see someone from LAX picking any of the "Big 3" based on where they go
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by demkr
AA has a much larger presence at LAX than DL--but I can see someone from LAX picking any of the "Big 3" based on where they go
How do you figure? Care to state some facts regarding 'much bigger'? Plus, bigger doesnt mean, better!
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Different Experience

I read daily but rarely comment. Just in one of those moods today.

5 + years of heavy travel, 500 + flights and thankfully never an incident. Only one rought take off. Wait that was US Air!

Always above average to outstanding service by the associates. Only three missed upgrades in 5 years!. Gets me all around the country and world. Met outstanding club associates! Always have a celeberty run in at LAX! FL lounge! Club upgrades!

I know some people experience the opposite but I try to make the best of everything. Life is too short to be ticked off and dwell on a bad day, experience, associate, etc... YMMV.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:51 pm

AA has good enough presence at LAX for me, and I've never really had problems with getting where I needed to be. I suppose it can be depressing if you don't get exactly what you want. Flexibility is key here.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 2:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
I just had two really nice rides on American Eagle. I was not the least bit depressed. In fact I was highly entertained at CVG on the way back.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by dickinson
True for an EXP like you....
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
AA could have cared less even though I was PLT. I got no explanation and the "forgive us" amounted to 25,000 bonus miles. Meanwhile I was on my way to my best friend's funeral (NO JOKE!) and for about 40 minutes until we made an emergency landing with full emergency crews lining our landing runway, I thought I was going to die. I still fly AA but DL has greatly benefitted from this experience. Regardless, AA's market share is on the decline. DL and the "new United" seem to be eating them up. For example, AA's NYC airport numbers are on a horrible decline. Something is going on (or not going on as the case may be) at AA.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Know what I'd find really depressing?

Achieving the top status at DL only to find out that DL doesn't permit international upgrades except on expensive coach fares (Y, B or M).

THAT would be really depressing.

Route cancellations? Couldn't care less.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by Flyingdevil
AA could have cared less even though I was PLT.
Are you saying that, as PLT, AA should have treated you worse than they did?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.