Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 88/89 ORD-BRU-ORD Going Away

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by demkr
You hit the nail on the hand. They refuse to compete, but it's because they simply can't compete. They don't even have individual IFE in Y on the 763s. What kettle in their right mind, unless there was a sizable difference in fare, would choose AA over UA or that other carrier on this longhaul route?
I'd guess that most kettles have no idea what aircraft or IFE experience they're booking through travelocity. Most kettles I know only see the fare, and sometimes the amount of connections.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
They don't even have individual IFE in Y on the 763s. What kettle in their right mind, unless there was a sizable difference in fare, would choose AA over UA or that other carrier on this longhaul route?
I would have back in my kettle days... (which ended early this year)

The seats on AA were fine, the "food" seemed marginally better and the IFE I encountered on competitor flights wasn't worth using.

What set AA apart was customer service when things went wrong combined with relatively generous policies. I would still fly UA, DL, US, B6 and AC when their fares were noticeably lower or they had a much better schedule, but I picked AA every time the fares were about the same.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by FreequentFlier
Why do you think this decision is so significant? Once SN dropped the codeshare and UA picked it up, it seemed like the writing was on the wall, no?
Exactly, since SN joined *A, UA done nothing but increase the amount of seats to BRU and ORD-BRU has nice margins for UA.

Originally Posted by millsdale
Yeah I donor see BUD staying for long, DLhashada hard time with it. Also I donor buy the argument that BRU is a star city that AA can not compete. DLhas a good presence in Germany, good London coverage. UA has decent London coverage several flights to HKG. Do people only want AA to fly to locked in OW cities, I would hope not.
UA only has 2 flights to HKG from the US; one continues on to SIN and on to SGN. Thy can support SFO-HKG from connecting traffic, but ORD-HKG has worked well since UA has had a monopoly on ORD to SE asia with the corporate traffic; however, with the presence of CX on that route now, it will be interested to see how UA does now that they have a vastly superior competitor.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
You hit the nail on the hand. They refuse to compete, but it's because they simply can't compete. They don't even have individual IFE in Y on the 763s. What kettle in their right mind, unless there was a sizable difference in fare, would choose AA over UA or that other carrier on this longhaul route?

AA refuses to advance to the 21st century, and that's one of the reasons they are losing biz on routes they should do very well on.
I agree with your first statement and disagree with your second. While I do disagree with lots of choices the company has made. I view what's going on as belt tightening to an extreme to purge marginal routes for a medium term 3-5 years.

The question is how much is the hurt going to pay off?

In 5-7 years, if Aprey's bet pays off. You have one of the youngest fuel effecicent fleets in the works. Then with this brand new fleet you are announcing huge expansions to all these cool cities around the world. Lots of buzz for the airline.

While I have no data to support this I would guess that this is an opportunity cost decision Rev Mgt probably sees a higher yielding flight plan for the bird. I betcha that ORD-BRU isn't a difficult route to secure again if they wanted it back in a few years with shiny new planes.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum, AA million miler, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by HNL
It looks like AA will exit the ORD-BRU-ORD market. AA 88/89 are zeroed out. Last flight that is bookable departing Chicago is Sunday 6 November. It does not appear the flight will return next summer either.

A tip of the hat to brp for asking a question that prompted me to look.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
It looks like AA will exit the ORD-BRU-ORD market. AA 88/89 are zeroed out. Last flight that is bookable departing Chicago is Sunday 6 November. It does not appear the flight will return next summer either.

A tip of the hat to brp for asking a question that prompted me to look.

I am currently booked on flight 89 from BRU - ORD on January 6, 2012. No notification from AA that the flight was cancelled.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I was just flabbergasted that the removal of SFO-HNL, ORD-FRA, and all those routes from BOS didn't bring them back to profitability.
I almost fell out of my chair, granted I don't fly a lot, but when did ORD-FRA go away?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:30 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by go4bal
I am currently booked on flight 89 from BRU - ORD on January 6, 2012. No notification from AA that the flight was cancelled.
Because it's not yet. It will still show in your reservation. Ours (for 1/12 & 1/16) are still there. Even after it goes away, you'll likely just be rerouted on JFK-BRU with no notification, but it will have an indication when you look at it. Probably happen soon.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Because it's not yet. It will still show in your reservation. Ours (for 1/12 & 1/16) are still there. Even after it goes away, you'll likely just be rerouted on JFK-BRU with no notification, but it will have an indication when you look at it. Probably happen soon.

Cheers.
Does it matter that I am in T class on an award? I would rather not take the BRU - JFK - LAX routing.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:19 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by go4bal
Does it matter that I am in T class on an award? I would rather not take the BRU - JFK - LAX routing.
You can ask for a reroute via MAD or LHR but it will be easier - much easier with reroutes on AA metal.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I almost fell out of my chair, granted I don't fly a lot, but when did ORD-FRA go away?
I'm curious on this too.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
S'been a while, folks:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:28 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ande777emt
Exactly, since SN joined *A, UA done nothing but increase the amount of seats to BRU and ORD-BRU has nice margins for UA.
Not exactly... They went from daily to 6x/week on the ORDBRU route. On EWRBRU they added a few seats (but most important a lot of premiumseats) with the introduction of the PMUA plane instead of the PMCO plane...
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:25 am

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I guess it's more cost effective for them to keep 172/171 using a 757 out of JFK?

If I need to go BOS-BRU-BOS again I will almost certainly come back through LHR, since a 4 hour 10 minute connection in JFK is unacceptable.
Actually going from an ORD connection to a JFK connection is a huge downgrade. Any connecition in that hellhole JFK is unacceptable in my book.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:29 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

AA is really dumping Europe

This is a really a big ! These days there are hardly any good direct flights from the US to continental Europe. Again, AA seems to be really dumping us continental Europe travellers and forcing us to fly via MAD or LHR which means arriving into most major cities late in the morning or after midday.

For us AAdvantage members especially EXP's, we are getting the impact of this with hardly any possibility to use them on codeshare partner flights and only on AA metal. Are they indirectly trying to eliminate the program here on continental Europe?

A bad move..

What happens now to their connections with Jet Airways? I know quite a lot of them do connect in Brussels to/from India and beyond?

Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.