Search

AA 88/89 ORD-BRU-ORD Going Away

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:35 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA 88/89 ORD-BRU-ORD Going Away

It looks like AA will exit the ORD-BRU-ORD market. AA 88/89 are zeroed out. Last flight that is bookable departing Chicago is Sunday 6 November. It does not appear the flight will return next summer either.

A tip of the hat to brp for asking a question that prompted me to look.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM
Originally Posted by HNL
It looks like AA will exit the ORD-BRU-ORD market. AA 88/89 are zeroed out. Last flight that is bookable departing Chicago is Sunday 6 November. It does not appear the flight will return next summer either.
That would be a shame. For me that seems to only leave JFK-BRU-JFK on AA 172/171 which are the much less comfortable 757s, whereas the ORD service was 767.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I guess it's more cost effective for them to keep 172/171 using a 757 out of JFK?

If I need to go BOS-BRU-BOS again I will almost certainly come back through LHR, since a 4 hour 10 minute connection in JFK is unacceptable.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Given that jet fuel has averaged just over $3/gal so far in 2011 and doesn't look to be dropping (unlike crude prices, which have collapsed), it shouldn't surprise anyone to see marginal routes eliminated. Fuel will likely cost AMR more this year than in 2008 when it last spiked, and the economy is certainly weaker this year with no improvements on the horizon. Unless things begin to improve, look for more downsizing and route cancellations/suspensions.

During the peak season, AA and BA run 51 daily flights to London from the States; BRU is an easy short connection away from LHR. It's not unlike a London-originating traveler being forced to connect if their ultimate destination in the USA is not among the AA/BA LHR gateway cities. There are quite a few USA metro areas with a million people that don't have nonstop AA/BA service to LHR, and there will be plenty of large, important cities in Europe that AA/BA can't economically serve with nonstop flights.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
They need to get their house in order, or maybe they will try something like pre-merger UA did, and hire Aer Lingus to operate their flights.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL

A tip of the hat to brp for asking a question that prompted me to look.
Of course, since it's not canceled yet, I can't rebook onto something else without change fees as there are "any number of reasons" that there's no inventory after Nov. 6"

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:29 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
A demonstration of why AA needs new management fast.

When one of your traditionally stronger trans-Atlantic routes is dropped not longer after a healthier competitor comes into the market, its obvious you're in trouble.

I would hope that JFKBRU at least becomes a 763.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I'm not at all surprised by this. Remember this used to be a 777 route. When SN went over to Star Alliance and AA lost the code-shares, I figured that it would only be a matter of time when this went away. It's kind of like when DFW-ZRH existed when AA had code-shares with SR (now LX). When those went away, so did the flight. I'd much rather have ORD-HEL and the connection possibilities there, than have that go away and BRU kept. Although BRU was usually a good city to find award space out of. Now, probably not. Hopefully in June, this bird will start ORD-BER.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA
I wonder how long it will take before AA171/2 is being dropped... SN will be starting ops to JFK in the spring of 2012 with an A330...

It's a shame to see a carrier go from our airport

BRU-ORD was flewn since 1989 AFAIK...

Last edited by Bralo20; Sep 16, 2011 at 3:01 pm
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It's actually kind of weird, now AA and 9W both have flights JFK-BRU and there will be no nonstop AA or partner flights from any other US city to BRU.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
It's actually kind of weird, now AA and 9W both have flights JFK-BRU and there will be no nonstop AA or partner flights from any other US city to BRU.
It's a shame AA wasn't getting more connecting traffic to/from 9W's mini-hub out of BRU. Not to mention the noticeable lapses in service and amenities connecting from 9W to an AA flight.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 3:20 pm

No

NEw Management would not change this outcome. What has happened in the 20+ years since AA started this route is the rise in the power of the Alliance.

Beforehand, there werent alliances or whatnot - airlines fed traffic and interlined pretty much at will on both sides of the pond. That's how 20 years ago Sabena could fly to Atlanta, Swissair could fly to Atlanta - they worked with whoever to on either end to feed traffic. For many years AA simply worked with Sabena then SN Brussels on that end to feed traffic, and AA had a lock on the corporate business between the two (and there is quite a bit) due to having the nonstop flight.

Now with alliances, airlines have an incentive to work with their partner exclusively. When Brussels Airlines joined Star, the writing was on the wall for AA to lose the flight. Brussels now had every incentive to work better with UA, especially when they started their nonstop ORD-BRU flight. UA now had better leverage to take the corporate traffic from AA as well, and apparently they got it.

Just because things worked a certain way for a long time does not mean they will work that way forever. The flights may be full, but I bet they're full of low yield tourist and VFR traffic just looking for the cheapest way from Belguim to California, certainly not the high yield business traveler from Baxter going to their European HQ from Chicago,or the diamond trader heading to the diamond mines in Africa on SN.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
A demonstration of why AA needs new management fast.

When one of your traditionally stronger trans-Atlantic routes is dropped not longer after a healthier competitor comes into the market, its obvious you're in trouble.

I would hope that JFKBRU at least becomes a 763.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Three words for Mr. Arpey: Flat bed seats.

Some background, I believe ORD-BRU has operated on AA for over 20 years.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
Hopefully we can see Berlin soon from ORD.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:31 pm

Well as all of you can see my profiles you may send condolences over. I will accept EVIPS ;-)

If they cancel 88/89 believe me that the next one to go out will be the BUD run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.