Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why would AA initiate a $49 SFO/LAX-DFW fare sale?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
And you SFO people thought that AA didn't love you any more.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by econometrics
Wow, AA, a WHOLE 20 day window of $49.50 fares, how extremely generous, HA!
Wouldn't that be 22 days? Oct 6-27 (inclusive)?
Old Sep 16, 2011, 6:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
well there still advertising it on the front page of the website but i cant find any of the $49 o/w fares except for 1 DFW-SFO flight on 10/12 in the afternoon, everything else is 99 and higher.

This deal is dead, glad i got mine as that will finish my plat qualification for the year, unless i decide to go for broke and push for EXP that would also get me to LT Gold.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
Now another question: Why $49 SFO-IAH? Available through end of schedule.
Interesting but it only seems to be for one particular evening flight AE 3711 most of the time, except on weekneds on a CR7 that gets in at 0145 in the morning. Nice but thats alot of time in a barbie jet.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Wouldn't that be 22 days? Oct 6-27 (inclusive)?
Yes, you are right. I was blindly rounding, and not including the 6th and 27th, though they should be rightfully included. ^
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks AA. Just booked three consecutive SFO-DFW-SFO 688/1309 RTs on 10/25, 26 and 27. What the heck, gets me away from the office phones for a few days and home for dinner. ^ Anyone else on those dates, let me know.
I'm flying the earlier dates. Too bad really. Would have been fun to fly/sit/chat with some other FlyerTalker...
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
This is essentially like a double EQM promotion for a period of three weeks (between the 6 and 27), because you can fly two trips for the price of one; the trips are about half the price they normally are. I snagged one for one of the weeks.
It's a great fare but let's not go overboard here.

Recall the $69 one-way fares between Boston and the west coast in the spring of 2009 during a double EQM promotion plus a triple RDM promo that meant each round trip was good for more than 10k EQM plus more than 20k RDM (for EXPs and Platinum members). And that bonanza lasted for something like 10-12 weeks with lots of availability.

THOSE were good times.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It's a great fare but let's not go overboard here.

Recall the $69 one-way fares between Boston and the west coast in the spring of 2009 during a double EQM promotion plus a triple RDM promo that meant each round trip was good for more than 10k EQM plus more than 20k RDM (for EXPs and Platinum members). And that bonanza lasted for something like 10-12 weeks with lots of availability.

THOSE were good times.
12k EQM LAX-SFO-BOS. I know. I was on those.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am sure AA's intent is to go after VX, especially after their "you deserve better than your stodgy old airline" ads in the metroplex. VX, or any other competitors, is not biting and isn't matching the fare for one passenger (they're just running their free companion 2-for-1 offer).

Click for full size

Incidentally, VX fares are valid one way; AA's require roundtrip.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Seems like a VX scare (and not the kind involving highly toxic gas a la "The Rock"). I think there's a bit more to it than many think, though: my initial reaction was that the FF base on these routes is so entrenched and the non-FF flyers minimal enough that it really doesnt matter, but there's a huge "but" (and not the kind requiring a free companion ticker of its own)...

And that is corp travel departments too small to have contracted fares. The employees may prefer AA for the benefits since it's become their defacto carrier (out of DFW at least) but they are required to book the cheapest fares. In that case, preserving that exclusive patronage is worth taking a hit on these tickets for now. Last thing you want is to create divided loyalty among those forced to try another product that end up preferring it.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: SPG HH AA PLT AS MVPG
Originally Posted by hillrider
Incidentally, VX fares are valid one way; AA's require roundtrip.
I've been watching the DFW/LAX route for a few months now ... It's interesting to note that American has consistently put a roundtrip restriction on ALL of the discount and deep discount fares in that market -- through the end of schedule.

VX is consistently beating them on the one-way fare by hundreds of dollars. I'm not sure what American's logic is with this pricing strategy.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
I can't figure out why AA would initiate a $49 fare sale between SFO/LAX to DFW. I saw the deal on the Mileage Run forum the other day and assumed it was a typical price mistake and wouldn't last long. Now they're proactively advertising it. Any theories on why they're doing this?
This is at least the second time in the last couple of months AA has done this. This first time I noticed was one evening early August when double EQM was still active for this route. Sadly I moved too slowly and couldn't get a return leg when I wanted it.

I think AA is definitely sending a message to VX. They have been very protective of their DFW hub over the years.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by bruinfan90
I've been watching the DFW/LAX route for a few months now ... It's interesting to note that American has consistently put a roundtrip restriction on ALL of the discount and deep discount fares in that market -- through the end of schedule.

VX is consistently beating them on the one-way fare by hundreds of dollars. I'm not sure what American's logic is with this pricing strategy.
See my other post in this thread. Most of the business trips I'm referring to will clearly be R/T.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bruinfan90
Does seem a little strange on first glance. Perhaps AA feels that between its cadre of AAdvantage members and the fact that most LAX-DFW traffic is feeding connections, it doesn't need to match VX for O&D. Who knows what goes on in mysterious RM dept., but the limited $99 RT offer may actually help boost revenues by reducing the supply and pushing connect fares higher.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SFO777
Does seem a little strange on first glance. Perhaps AA feels that between its cadre of AAdvantage members and the fact that most LAX-DFW traffic is feeding connections, it doesn't need to match VX for O&D. Who knows what goes on in mysterious RM dept., but the limited $99 RT offer may actually help boost revenues by reducing the supply and pushing connect fares higher.
Actually, there is very good reason why its RT only. I cannot say without giving out too much information publicly so I wont divulge that. (Sorry!) But the speculation is interesting! SFO777 is sort of on the right track and not at the same time... LOL!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.