Why would AA initiate a $49 SFO/LAX-DFW fare sale?

Old Sep 15, 11, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Why would AA initiate a $49 SFO/LAX-DFW fare sale?

I can't figure out why AA would initiate a $49 fare sale between SFO/LAX to DFW. I saw the deal on the Mileage Run forum the other day and assumed it was a typical price mistake and wouldn't last long. Now they're proactively advertising it. Any theories on why they're doing this?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/dfw-...ryId=undefined
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:11 am

VX is offering $99 each way with "friend flys free" offer. You can thank Virgin for the price war.
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:13 am

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Who cares, I've booked enough flights for myself to make it back to Platinum for next year...
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Just got the email from AA with this offer. Most definitely a shot at Virgin's $99 fares - which they have been advertising with a full page ad in the Dallas Morning News lately. I guess AA thinks it's finally time to get agressive. Good for them. Price wars are always fun to be a part of!
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:33 am

Also, I just noticed there's a 21 day advanced purchase requirement, which means you cannot fly until October 6 (if purchased today), and then must complete travel by October 27. Wow, AA, a WHOLE 20 day window of $49.50 fares, how extremely generous, HA!
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Nice. And instead of AA trying to figure out how to match the "friends fly free" offer with their antiquated IT systems, they just chopped the fare in half. Thank you Virgin!
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Platinum/LT Gold(1.3MM current method/1.51MM old method)/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
Also, I just noticed there's a 21 day advanced purchase requirement, which means you cannot fly until October 6 (if purchased today), and then must complete travel by October 27. Wow, AA, a WHOLE 20 day window of $49.50 fares, how extremely generous, HA!
Looking at seating (or course not the most accurate), it seems seats for a number of flights are full or close to full.
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mmjaysee View Post
Nice. And instead of AA trying to figure out how to match the "friends fly free" offer with their antiquated IT systems, they just chopped the fare in half. Thank you Virgin!
Now here you assume that we couldnt match a friends fly free offer with our systems. Always someone who assumes that AA can't do something another carrier can. Maybe we wanted to respond to their offer with an actual fare??? This is more aggressive than the Virgin offer as you do not need to buy a companion ticket to benefit from the offer. Its definitely a price war folks... have fun!
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would much rather have the option to buy a single ticket at 50 than two tickets at 100!!!
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Jacobin777 View Post
Looking at seating (or course not the most accurate), it seems seats for a number of flights are full or close to full.
Probably AA blocking off seats more aggressively until the 21-day advance purchase window lapses on those particular flights.

I really do commend AA for offering these sale fares to compete for consumer's dollars vs Virgin... but how many consumers really benefit through all the restrictions, etc? A couple hundred? A thousand? I would love to see those numbers.
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by truthknown View Post
Now here you assume that we couldnt match a friends fly free offer with our systems. Always someone who assumes that AA can't do something another carrier can. Maybe we wanted to respond to their offer with an actual fare??? This is more aggressive than the Virgin offer as you do not need to buy a companion ticket to benefit from the offer. Its definitely a price war folks... have fun!
Apologies, I stand corrected! It seemed unusually aggressive for AA to one-up Virgin, so I assumed it was an IT thing. Kudos to AA for responding with a better offer!
Old Sep 15, 11, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
Probably AA blocking off seats more aggressively until the 21-day advance purchase window lapses on those particular flights.

I really do commend AA for offering these sale fares to compete for consumer's dollars vs Virgin... but how many consumers really benefit through all the restrictions, etc? A couple hundred? A thousand? I would love to see those numbers.
You might be right, AA might be blocking those seats - I really don't know.

Regarding how many consumers benefit? Probably not a lot...but there are people like me who jump all over it...
Old Sep 15, 11, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Exit row full on my DFW-SFO leg
Old Sep 15, 11, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver
Who cares, I've booked enough flights for myself to make it back to Platinum for next year...
^
+1

This just made my "what will I do for my Q4 mileage run" decision very easy. Looks like I'm spending my Friday nights and Sundays in October bouncing back and forth to SFO and LAX.
Old Sep 15, 11, 11:31 am

Programs: AA ExPlat
I have two reservations for the 6-8 and 21-23 and no problem getting exit rows. They were about half full, but still got them. I didn't think there was a chance I could get to EXP, but a few of these and couple of business trips and it is doable!

I appreciate AA doing this so I can visit all my family and friends in Dallas and make a run at EXP.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: