Wiki Posts
Search

AA34 LAX-JFK incident 11 Sep 2011

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I watched the Bush interview last night, and he stated that made the decision to do just that and was prepared to give that order to the ANG.
Per the ATC tapes, Cheney had already given the order, which was passed on to the fighter jets in the air.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:13 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So we had a case of a couple joining the Mile High club and panic ensued. I guess you could call this a truly anticlimactic incident - at least for a while.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by JDiver
So we had a case of a couple joining the Mile High club ... I guess you could call this a truly anticlimactic incident ..
Oh, the irony.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:52 am

Hahahaha.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Per the ATC tapes, Cheney had already given the order, which was passed on to the fighter jets in the air.
Uhh. Not to end up too far off topic, but that doesn't seem to be the case:

In its 2004 report, the commission praised front-line aviation officials. But it then thoroughly dismantled the accounts of senior government officials, who in the weeks after Sept. 11, and for more than a year afterward, assured the public that fighter pilots had been in hot pursuit of the suicidal hijackers. During these chases, according to accounts from Vice President Dick Cheney, the F.A.A. and the Defense Department, the pilots were described as ready to carry out a wrenching order from President George W. Bush to shoot down airliners.

The commission discovered that little of that was true: of the four flights, military commanders had nine minutes’ notice on one before it flew into the World Trade Center, and did not learn the other three had been hijacked until after they had crashed. Military commanders, given an order outside the chain of command to shoot down hijacked airliners, did not pass it along to the fighter pilots, but instructed them instead to identify the tail numbers of any suspected rogue planes. That turned out to be a prudent call because by then, there were no longer hijackers in the air for them to shoot.

The newly published multimedia document spells out precisely how the recordings contradicted the accounts of the senior officials.
Looking at actual transcript details, an order does eventually get conveyed authorizing a general shoot-down of planes that don't respond, but not until about 25 minutes after UA 93 crashed.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:54 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lobo411
The details are out on this one:

It was a man and a woman making out in the lav.

CALL THE FBI! CALL THE MARINES! CALL SUPER-CHICKEN!!!

Seriously...this paranoia is absolutely out of hand. We've become a nation of cowards.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...12/detail.html
I completely agree.

Although we went to NYC for the 9/11 events, and flew back LGA-DFW-SJC last night (on 9/11) and we did see strange events - each of the flights actually departed and arrived early. And this was AA. Seems suspicious to me.

Cheers.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by jordyn
Uhh. Not to end up too far off topic, but that doesn't seem to be the case
I was responding to the post that asked if "Bush or someone else in "authority" would have given the order to shoot down a plane with passengers on board?"

The answer, per your links, is clearly yes.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
I was responding to the post that asked if "Bush or someone else in "authority" would have given the order to shoot down a plane with passengers on board?"

The answer, per your links, is clearly yes.
I think, according to this article that the more precise answer is "bring down", as the F-16s from Andrews were not equipped with live weapons.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:22 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Another stupid overreaction to a non-event.

People use the lav. Sometimes more than once. Get over it or get counseling.

The Boogeyman strikes again!

Last edited by Spiff; Sep 12, 2011 at 11:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.