Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Great AA Mileage Race to "D-Day" (MM change day) - 12/1/11

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by codybear
If there wasn't a 50,000 mile limit, I would be tempted to donate for the cause (the solders and LTP). But looking at the terms:

Mileage cap for a 12-month period is 50,000 for U.S. members; 60,000 for international members
Bonus miles do not count toward elite-status qualification

I'm not sure if the miles will count towards status. From what I have seen on FT, I always thought they did, but this would suggest otherwise.

It should count toward LT status if the posting is prior to 12/1 but not current year elite status.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Maui Time
It should count toward LT status if the posting is prior to 12/1 but not current year elite status.
Oops, my mistake. I keep forgetting about EQM as I'm only concerned about the LT. But I'm so far away from LTP at this point, I don't know why I even think about it.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The plan I'm doing is to get as many AA miles as I can get prior to 12/01/2011 and then fly it in the rest of the way.

The miles will still have value to me after 12/01/2011 (flying husband on my Hubby Share plan) but the non-flying miles won't get me to LT status.

This offer for donationation via AA.com to the USO is a good one and has benefits for all concerned. I'm going to donate in various family member's accounts to keep their accummulated AA miles alive and well.

I'm the only person in my family who cares enough about AA miles to keep an eye on them! Donating via AA.com extends the life of AA miles by 18 months.

Please donate to the USO.

Thank you!

Last edited by oldpenny16; Nov 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Oops, my mistake. I keep forgetting about EQM as I'm only concerned about the LT. But I'm so far away from LTP at this point, I don't know why I even think about it.
Suggested plan: No need to stress. Take Platinum challenge in the second 1/2 of the year every two years, so you'll remain elite all the time and Platinum more than 1/2 the time. Keep flying and one day you'll be lifetime something.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Suggested plan: No need to stress. Take Platinum challenge in the second 1/2 of the year every two years, so you'll remain elite all the time and Platinum more than 1/2 the time. Keep flying and one day you'll be lifetime something.
you'll never be allowed to 'Take Platinum challenge in the second 1/2 of the year every two years'- it's not possible to do that anymore
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
you'll never be allowed to 'Take Platinum challenge in the second 1/2 of the year every two years'- it's not possible to do that anymore
I know people who claim to have done just that, and recently, as in a few months ago. While I have qualified in normal fashion and thus lack true 1st hand knowledge, the feedback I get is that you can indeed do the Plat challenge after dropping to Gold. At recent Chicago seminar, a couple of AA employees said the same thing. (To be clear, this does not work well with Gold as you have to live without status for 1 year.)

As always, "hang up and call again" if necessary.

If you can confirm a policy against such repetition, please let me know, for then I would treat this post on equal footing with mistakes/tricks and edit accordingly.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 11:09 pm

duplicate posting

Last edited by EaglesOhThree; Nov 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:10 am

Programs: aa delta
Challenge?

Morning,
I keep hearing and reading about these challenges to get Elite Status, but when I call AA it sounds foreign to the Reps. Can you provide detailed info on how to actually sign up for a challenge and what it involves? Thanks.

W
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: aa delta
Challenge?

Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
duplicate posting
Morning, please read above post. Thanks.

W
Old Nov 8, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: 2.4mm++ AA Plat, Hlt Diam, Hyt Globaist, Mrrt Gold, Gold Pts, MilesForDreams.com, etc.. etal..
Originally Posted by FORNWEST
Morning,
I keep hearing and reading about these challenges to get Elite Status, but when I call AA it sounds foreign to the Reps. Can you provide detailed info on how to actually sign up for a challenge and what it involves? Thanks.

W
Call AAdvantage Customer Service (NOT reservation line) and they can connect you to the challenge desk.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:02 am

Programs: AA
Unfortunately, I do not really fly. The status is to help me when my wife (EXP) and I go standby on the way home from vacation, if we can catch the earlier flight. It may not be a problem for her to get on the plane, but if I don't get on, then she is not going to go without me. So my lack of status can drag us down. Fortunately, I did get LTG this year, with all of the citi promotions, and I'm currently sitting at 1.45M with the option of 150K from my wife's SPG. This still leaves me way short, so I'll let my wife's SPG sit and not waste money on the Exec MC. It just feels hard to give up the chase even though all logic says it's impossible. On the positive side, it's going to be a big relief after Dec 1st, when I will no longer be fixated on miles. At least, not until my wife and I burn through our 3M miles.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
after Dec 1st, when I will no longer be fixated on miles. At least, not until my wife and I burn through our 3M miles.
You're not alone on this thought, I bet many here could go a couple years without paying for a leisure flight.... which is why I fully expect AA to come up with new ways to keep us spending. I highly doubt many people will actually burn all their miles, stop trying to earn miles, etc.

I think less mile-saver availability is already here and will inhibit a lot of redemptions. Furthermore, the "Dynamic" awards are the wave of the future in how FF programs devalue miles by pegging them to actual ticket prices.

On the positive side, big mile hogs may not be as affected. OW alliance is getting better and I don't see Dynamic awards being applied to J/F classes. Also, AA might keep adding value to elite AND million-miler status. When I cross over 1MM in 2-3 years, I bet I will get more perks than just 35,000 miles, and I may get it sooner through various MM promotions. The Executive Mastercard might need to up benefits and keep MM earning power to attract new users, so I'm waiting to sign up for that...
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP , SPG PLT, AMEX PLAT, HERTZ PC,
Need Help from you guys on Lifetime Gold

Hi was wondering if some of you can help me out here.

i am currently an exec plat with aa and currently have have 970,385 lifetime miles. i read through all the threads and still a little confused wanted to make sure i was getting all the fact straight.

if i transfer 24,615 spg points it will equal the 29,615 miles i missing to get to the 1 million mile mark. i would recive 8 domestic upgrades. (will not be traveling this month so would need to transer to get it) originaly i thought i would recive 4 evip but that is only for poeple outside the US (is that correct???)

and if i wait till after dec 1 i would get 35,000 miles which i can transfer to 8 domestic sticker upgrades anyway.

the only thing would be that i would have to fly the actual 29,615 miles.

am i getting this right???
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
If you are EXP and your flying patterns aren't going to change in the coming months, trying to achieve lifetime GLD prior to Dec 1st is a moot point for you since you will get there eventually by flying the 29,615 miles.

AA has made an exception so that if you make lifetime GLD prior to Dec 1st, you will have a choice of the 35K miles or the 8 stickers. And yes, the 4 eVIPs are only for "foreign" addresses.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with sukn; I wouldn't transfer SPG points to accelerate crossing the 1 million milepoint unless you don't see a better use for the SPG points. You'll get there soon enough by flying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.