Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Turndown service & Pyjamas / Pajamas in F/J began 1 Sep and 1 Oct 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turndown service & Pyjamas / Pajamas in F/J began 1 Sep and 1 Oct 2011

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

No slippers in J on the DEL flight yesterday.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.0MM
Flew NRT - JFK Oct 1 - new kit and slippers. The kit is improved but the moist towel has been shrunk to a smaller and thinner material. The slippers are minimalist but do the job.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:15 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
New Duvet

How much thinner, lighter is the new duvet? I never liked the old one as I thought it was too bulky and usually tossed it behind the back of the J seat (rarely fly Int'l F).
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
How much thinner, lighter is the new duvet? I never liked the old one as I thought it was too bulky and usually tossed it behind the back of the J seat (rarely fly Int'l F).
I was flying J out of NRT. The duvet is maybe half the weight or less than the old one and much thinner too. However it was nylon and it seemed to run hotter than the old one. Not germane but for the record it was made in China.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by dnbglobal
I was flying J out of NRT. The duvet is maybe half the weight or less than the old one and much thinner too. However it was nylon and it seemed to run hotter than the old one. Not germane but for the record it was made in China.
Thanks for reporting back. That's interesting that you felt it was warmer than the older, thicker duvet. I had a feeling this would be the case.

This is why I always enjoyed the old, thick duvet. It was a little bulky, but that was the nice part about it as well - extra pAAding. Now the new one is less padded and warmer. Homer Simpson would rate it a "DOH!"
Old Oct 9, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dnbglobal
Thanks for the response. Just as a follow up question, is it about the same size (L x W) as the old one? I always thought the old one was a tad short to really cover everything.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Thanks for the response. Just as a follow up question, is it about the same size (L x W) as the old one? I always thought the old one was a tad short to really cover everything.
Good question. If there was a difference it wasn't appreciable. It certainly seemed no smaller. Like econometrics I think I prefer the older albeit bulkier model but I'm sure i'll get used to it, just like the loss of the hot fudge sundaes.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SkyClub, AA PLT, CO Silver, AS MVPGLD
I flew F on AA's 777 from MIA-GRU last Friday and had slippers, pajamas, and a comforter laid down on my seat for turn down service. Slippers and pajamas were also supplied on the GRU-MIA flight but no comforter... just the normal duvet. I'll try to upload this pics soon.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
I got the pjs from the launch party. Honestly - I like them better than CX or JAL (no experience with BA or others. ) Other than the jailer grey color, they are simple, light and no restricting features or annoying buttons. jmho, ymmv.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
I got the pjs from the launch party. Honestly - I like them better than CX or JAL (no experience with BA or others. ) Other than the jailer grey color, they are simple, light and no restricting features or annoying buttons. jmho, ymmv.
Got a pair at the launch party, too. Other than being way too big they could use some pockets. Maybe not as big an issue in flight, but would have been really handy to have on Sunday night.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I love PJs on board. I got op-upped to Qantas 1st maybe 7-8 years ago, my first 1st experience, and the whole PJ/make your bed thing had me sold.

I have a large stash of CX pj's from trip we made in the summer. I was taking at least two pairs with me each flight (me and mrs ma who is not fussed for them). On one route the staff were happy for me to take four pairs. I wear them at home. They are comfortable and look decent, and would cost $40-50+ in store. So why not?

Oh and when I flew AA F and C to and from NRT this year I took them with me.

AA has very small bathrooms though. CX 777 has a larger bathroom in F making it easier to get changed
Don' t forget the handicapped lav between F and J on the left side of the 777. It would actually be roomy enough for a comfortable change.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:26 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Flyer_70
The AA L/XL PJs are a better fit than my BA L PJs (longer and not as wide). I also prefer the colour as bits of fluff are less obvious on the grey than the all navy BA PJs. However the AA PJs are 90% Polyester/10% Cotton compared to BA's which are 100% cotton so hopefully they don't run hot onboard. Given AA's cooler cabins this should be less of an issue than on BA.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by oiRRio
However the AA PJs are 90% Polyester/10% Cotton compared to BA's which are 100% cotton so hopefully they don't run hot onboard. Given AA's cooler cabins this should be less of an issue than on BA.
I posted upthread about how hot these PJs are. In my experience, AA keeps their F cabins hot anyway, although sometimes it works to ask the purser to make it cooler.

I'm happy AA now has PJs, but am very disappointed that they are polyester. I'm back to carrying my BA or QF PJs with me on AA flights.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 7:35 am

I don't like the new amenity kit as well as the old one (I flew out in Sept, home in Oct, so got to try both). Makes me wonder-- what do they do with all their old style kits?
Old Oct 14, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by aragno
I dream of one day being bumped to F from J... But considering I am only PLT and likely never make EXP, I shall only walk by when exiting or using the lav when J is busy.
Don't give up, I've always been Platinum and have received my share of Op-Ups; both from Y to J and from J-F. It usually happens when I'm traveling alone and on a paid ticket; but once all 5 of us where oped-up from Y-J on a EZE-MIA flight (3 Plats and 2 Non Status).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.