FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Turndown service & Pyjamas / Pajamas in F/J began 1 Sep and 1 Oct 2011 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1243818-turndown-service-pyjamas-pajamas-f-j-began-1-sep-1-oct-2011-a.html)

superscot Aug 3, 2011 9:35 am

Turndown service & Pyjamas / Pajamas in F/J began 1 Sep and 1 Oct 2011

Just flew back DFW-LHR last night. Just after take-off, the crew came around handing out AA pyjamas and slippers and offering a turn-down service.

The pyjamas are grey with an AA logo and certainly added to the experience. I declined the turn down service but, when I got up to put on my PJs, the purser intercepted me and made the offer again. A nice touch.

The purser reckoned that the introduction of pyjamas was a direct result of the BA alliance / standardisation of service across the 3 alliance members.

BTW I had some of the best service ever both on last night's flight and on my LHR-DFW flight last week.

=======================MODERATOR NOTE========================

And it has come to pass.

AA longhaul international First Class (777s) now offers pajamas / pyjamas, in two sizes, and hook-and-loop (like VelcroŽ) closure top slippers, which can be taken home, in addition to the new amenity kit (also used in Business) and sleeping pad, light duvet and day blanket (the two latter are left behind with the pillow).

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/wp...-Amenities.jpg
New international premium amenities

Code:

American Unveils New Suite Of Premium Products On International Flights
AMERICAN UNVEILS NEW SUITE OF PREMIUM PRODUCTS ON INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS

American is the First U.S. Airline to Offer Turndown Service with Quilted
Bed Topper, Pajamas and Slippers

As part of its focus on continually improving the customer experience,
American Airlines is introducing a new suite of premium class amenities.
The product additions are designed with the customer’s comfort and
convenience in mind and will roll out on select international flights in
First and Business Class cabins beginning Sept. 1.

Beginning Sept. 1, customers traveling onboard American’s flights
between the U.S. and London Heathrow (LHR) will be among the
first to enjoy the new offerings. First Class customers traveling
onboard Boeing 777s between the U.S. and Heathrow will receive
a quilted bed topper custom-designed to fit American’s popular
Flagship Suite, pajamas and slippers as part of the airline’s new
turndown service. A lightweight day blanket, new premium
duvet and pillow, and an amenity kit featuring a bag with an
authentic Eames OfficeŽ design pattern and containing
DermalogicaŽ skincare products and other travel necessities
complete the new suite of amenities.

Also beginning Sept. 1, customers traveling in American’s
Business Class cabin onboard flights between the U.S. and LHR
operated by Boeing 777s, 767-300s and international 757s
can enjoy a new premium duvet and pillow, slippers, and amenity kit.

Beginning Oct. 1, the full suite of products, including the turndown
service, will roll out in American’s First Class cabins onboard all
international flights served by Boeing 777s. Also on Oct. 1,
American’s Business Class cabins onboard all international flights
operated by Boeing 777s and 767-300s, in addition to select
flights to and from Europe operated by Boeing 757s, will begin
offering the new premium duvet and pillow, slippers, and amenity kit.
For additional details, see the full release.

For more information on American’s new suite of amenities, including
detailed descriptions of each product, visit: www.aa.com/flybetter.

Links to resources

Link to aa.com announcement

Link to AA News Release

Link to more extensive description on aa.com

Link to another general description on aa.com

Link to previous and now obsolete (2009) thread speculating about pa/pyjamas in F

jeffreyt Aug 3, 2011 9:38 am

This is great news if it is a true change and not just a test. Where is the pics of the PJs?

beerup Aug 3, 2011 9:42 am

I was supposed to fly ORD-LHR in AA F last week, but due to MX on my connecting flight from SEA, switched to SEA-LHR on BA in F. So now I have BA pajamas, but not AA pajamas. I presume they don't offer them in J and I don't have any international overnights booked in F for the remainder of the year, so perhaps I will have to scope eBay ;)

JumboD Aug 3, 2011 9:56 am

Originally Posted by beerup (Post 16851703)
I was supposed to fly ORD-LHR in AA F last week, but due to MX on my connecting flight from SEA, switched to SEA-LHR on BA in F. So now I have BA pajamas, but not AA pajamas. I presume they don't offer them in J and I don't have any international overnights booked in F for the remainder of the year, so perhaps I will have to scope eBay ;)

BA at least offers them on some daytime flights. On the 4pm LHR-LAX we were given PJs.

trojanman Aug 3, 2011 10:00 am

Does the turndown service involve any kind of quasi-mattress or sheets?

dopey! Aug 3, 2011 10:00 am

^^ That's a nice added touch. About time too.

JDiver Aug 3, 2011 10:21 am

That's a surprise! I'm assuming these are not flannel, footed or drop-seat pyjamas, as old-fashioned as the IFE etc. are? ;) A nice addition to the F slippers.

superscot Aug 3, 2011 10:23 am

Originally Posted by trojanman (Post 16851833)
Does the turndown service involve any kind of quasi-mattress or sheets?

Yes - there was a quasi mattress, the standard duvet/quilt and an additional black blanked (which wasn't used, but was available if I needed it).

superscot Aug 3, 2011 10:25 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 16852003)
That's a surprise! I'm assuming these are not flannel, footed or drop-seat pyjamas, as old-fashioned as the IFE etc. are? ;) A nice addition to the F slippers.

lol. Not exactly haute couture or as stylish as some other airlines' but they did the job. I didn't think to take them with me as I've got plenty of airline PJs so sorry - you will have to wait for somebody else to post a photograph.

LMB01 Aug 3, 2011 10:47 am

PJs in 1st only for Europe flights?

Anyone know if PJs in 1st are fleet wide for int'l flights? I'm headed to NRT on Friday in 1J and would love to have AA PJs.

rolov Aug 3, 2011 10:48 am

No PJs given to me on EZE-JFK in F

Microwave Aug 3, 2011 10:49 am

Originally Posted by superscot (Post 16852024)
Yes - there was a quasi mattress, the standard duvet/quilt and an additional black blanked (which wasn't used, but was available if I needed it).

This is great news. Should help make the IFS F suite even more comfortable. Kudos to AA for making an effort to keep up. ;)

beerup Aug 3, 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by JumboD (Post 16851802)
BA at least offers them on some daytime flights. On the 4pm LHR-LAX we were given PJs.

There were no PJs on AA 79 (3:15 LHR-DFW) in F on Saturday :(

Hyperacusis Aug 3, 2011 11:04 am

Originally Posted by superscot (Post 16852024)

Excellent news! Given how hard the AA F seat can be, and the fact that carriers like EK offer this in F (as well as J on ultra long hauls), this is a huge step up. Makes me even more glad that I just SWUed a couple of LHR-DFW flights to F.

Wingtipflyer1 Aug 3, 2011 11:08 am

Here they are! (photo)

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CEEQ9QEwAg