Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN RR, HH, SPG, Natl ES
Interesting comments from Ms. Rubin I found online, when questioned about the MM changes to "butt-in-seat" accrual only:

It is important to us (as I’m sure it is for you) that the AAdvantage program is delivering value to all of our members. The rewards of the Million Miler program, vested AAdvantage Gold or AAdvantage Platinum status, are extremely attractive rewards and it’s incumbent on AA to ensure that we don’t create more demand for benefits associated with elite status than we can fulfill. Our changes to the Million Miler program are consistent with that objective.

While her point makes sense, this doesn't really explain why you'd come up with an elite-level card (with this new model already in mind - as it was communicated as part of the rollout of the Exec card last fall) and encourage utilization for a year to build up closer to your MM status, but then not consider a viable transition for those elite members who have been loyal to both AA and Citi. Clearly the thought of paying $450 for AC access (and the potential for 10K EQM IF you put $40K on the card, along with some other minor mileage incentives) doesn't make this a desirable option for a large % of AA elite members, so why not work with Citi to offer a bridge back to the old World Elite card if there's no way you're going to extend the MM accrual and the participating elite don't see the value of the Exec card moving forward?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by 4vradvl
Interesting comments from Ms. Rubin I found online, when questioned about the MM changes to "butt-in-seat" accrual only:

It is important to us (as I’m sure it is for you) that the AAdvantage program is delivering value to all of our members. The rewards of the Million Miler program, vested AAdvantage Gold or AAdvantage Platinum status, are extremely attractive rewards and it’s incumbent on AA to ensure that we don’t create more demand for benefits associated with elite status than we can fulfill. Our changes to the Million Miler program are consistent with that objective.

While her point makes sense, this doesn't really explain why you'd come up with an elite-level card (with this new model already in mind - as it was communicated as part of the rollout of the Exec card last fall) and encourage utilization for a year to build up closer to your MM status, but then not consider a viable transition for those elite members who have been loyal to both AA and Citi. Clearly the thought of paying $450 for AC access (and the potential for 10K EQM IF you put $40K on the card, along with some other minor mileage incentives) doesn't make this a desirable option for a large % of AA elite members, so why not work with Citi to offer a bridge back to the old World Elite card if there's no way you're going to extend the MM accrual and the participating elite don't see the value of the Exec card moving forward?
And how many different CITT/AA cards are presently offered ? I'm betting the MM credit will not be extended for this card. More likely some other perk will take its place or yet another NEW and IMPROVED CITI/AA card will be introduced
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AA 2MM EXP, UA 1K, DL Silver
called to cancel. got double miles for 6 months.... then they said this is capped at 5K miles. accepted.

Since I do use this card internationally (and no, Amex doesn't cut it because it's so poorly accepted overseas), and I'm often a few miles short of PLT, the additional $100 vs. direct AC membership makes sense, I think.

That said, the reason I got this card was definitely the MM benefit (started the year at 1.5, up to 1.7 now, and only fly BIS ~ 50K)
Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:47 am

I spent 20 mins w/ Citi Cust Svc on the topic and, after hitting the third rep (who put me on hold to call AA) was told that AAdvantage reps indicated that the MM accrual was NOT going away. After asking for clarification twice (to make sure he understood this was about MM accrual using the card and not MM accrual thru air travel), I am now on hold with AAdvantage Cust Svc to question what I was told (which I'm expecting to hear was erroneous info shared by the Citi rep). No offer of double miles or similar during my call, but I didn't indicate that I was ready to jump right away either...

Posts/likes on AAdvantage FB page continue to increase - hopefully the prodding will lead them to post something online that resembles a definite stance on the matter for those of us still on the fence...
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
My guess is that it is possible they may keep the MM accrual as a benefit, but I do expect a cap to be put in place like 10K. The MM benefit for next year without a cap I don't think it will happen.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:58 pm

Someone on FB suggested the possibility of getting 1.5 miles/dollar like the United Club card, which I would be down with (although I feel it is unlikely).

Edit: What did AA say, 4vradvl?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2.9MM, Amex Plat, CO Silv, HH Gld, SPG Gld, Hyatt Plat, IC Amb, and... Starbucks Gold (wow!)
Anyone willing to put emotional connections aside will see that it makes no sense for AA (on or off bankruptcy protection) to offer a MM benefit based on credit card spending unless it becomes absolutely necessary to compete with other products, which is not the case right now. As painful as it is to see this particular benefit go away, I believe the AA EXEC card can remain viable and successful on the basis of its other merits -- which simply make it comparable to other premium airline cards such as United's Club card or Delta's Platinum Amex. One can still claim that United Club offers 1.5 miles per dollar, but IMHO that simply offsets the higher cost (in miles) of award travel on United. Because I'm AA LT Plat, the MM benefit was my only link to the AA EXEC card, which is now being downgraded to a no annual fee Bronze level at my request. I'd rather stick to Amex Platinum because of its multiple benefits, and invest an additional $450 in a United Club card because it provides benefits such as United miles and lounge access that I consider perfect complements to Amex Platinum (which used to feature them until a couple of years ago).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:19 pm

I finally got past the first level staff to someone with access to all the fine print and she re-confirmed that nothing has changed -- MM accrual ends at the end of the year. She indicated that something could change within the next 2-3 weeks, but that we'd certainly be hearing something about that in writing if true. At this point though, with as many people indicating that they're bailing now, I can't imagine why AA would wait to make a change until the 11th hour.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:45 pm

I don't disagree with you CR - there's likely not any benefit to AA continuing this other than rewarding the loyalty of AA customers looking to achieve MM status (saying this as soon-to-be PLAT this year on flights with another 65-70K coming from this card -- knowing there are others who fly well below GLD & only rely on accruing miles via CC).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:46 pm

I finally got past the first level staff to someone with access to all the fine print and she re-confirmed that nothing has changed -- MM accrual ends at the end of the year. She indicated that something could change within the next 2-3 weeks, but that we'd certainly be hearing something about that in writing if true. At this point though, with as many people indicating that they're bailing now, I can't imagine why AA would wait to make a change until the 11th hour.
Agreed. Why would they lose so many through attrition and then extend? I'll be cancelling if they don't renew the MM accrual. Too bad I didn't get nearly as close as I had hoped.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:56 pm

Didn't get them to reply to my initial posting after they opened the door with their talk of the Citi/AA video contest, so I'm glad you posted separately so I could piggyback off your comments. Looks like about 9 "thumbs up" thus far, so hopefully others jump on the bandwagon. I've found that as long as people aren't too rude or abusive, the AAdvantage FB team will usually respond in some fashion. If any you visit their FB page and don't want to add to dtrose's post, at least click "like" so we can get 20-30 people showing some interest in the topic.
Just "liked" the FB comment. Hope someone answers.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:38 pm

I got a response from AA today to the effect of "We're still evaluating the benefits for this card for 2013 and you should expect an announcement via email in the next few weeks."
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nall
I got a response from AA today to the effect of "We're still evaluating the benefits for this card for 2013 and you should expect an announcement via email in the next few weeks."
As much as I hope it's not, I think this is just an answer to keep customers quiet. A lot of renewals are due around this time (or have already taken place) and if AA were going to bring out anything to make the card more attractive (either in lieu of MM miles or simply by extending the MM benefit) they would have done it by now. IMO, extending the MM benefit now would be like closing the stable door once the horse has bolted so I can't see AA doing it.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LTPlatinum, SPG Gold, SWA, RCCL Platinum
Elite card

There really isn't any benefit for AA to keep offering the AA MM Card. The AA travelers will still use AA and still use "some" Citi AA Card. The non travelers are not worth their time / efforts. Reality is.. Citi will need to come up w/ some benefits to keep clients on a $450/yr card.

AA wants BIS revenue more than anything. Peeps spending $450 / yr for a premium card, in reality, doesn't materially impact the BIS revenue.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 5:53 am

Crap my billing cycle just closed yesterday and got assessed the $450 fee and still no word from AAdvantage. Thanks AA your lack of response is fAAntastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.