Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2012, 1:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, HH GLD, CC GLD, Hyatt PLT, IHG PLT Amb
Long time lurker, first time poster... Just wanted to pass on official confirmation that the Select card benefits also apply to the WorldElite card:

http://creditcards.citicards.com/usc...e/New/benefits
Old May 20, 2012, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by usviflyer
Long time lurker, first time poster... Just wanted to pass on official confirmation that the Select card benefits also apply to the WorldElite card:

Excellent first-time contribution! A most sincere welcome to FT!
Old May 20, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3.2MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
10% miles back still not clear to me

I spoke to a phone rep. At first he said all the new benefits applied. I asked him specifically about the 10% miles back - he thought about it a while, then said he was going to look it up, then came back and said that particular benefit did not extend to the Exec MC. The pictures on the referenced link all show "Platinum" or "Select" on the bottom center but not "Executive". bujaman reports success with just the Exec MC, but if lkar had success, it hasn't been reported here yet.

Also the $100 flight certificate at $30k spend & renewal would help offset the steep fee on the Exec MC, but I haven't seen anything on that.

They are going to have to sweeten this card when the million miler miles (for those who got the card in time) goes away.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by olddallas
The pictures on the referenced link all show "Platinum" or "Select" on the bottom center but not "Executive". bujaman reports success with just the Exec MC, but if lkar had success, it hasn't been reported here yet.

Also the $100 flight certificate at $30k spend & renewal would help offset the steep fee on the Exec MC, but I haven't seen anything on that.

They are going to have to sweeten this card when the million miler miles (for those who got the card in time) goes away.
The MasterCard pictured is the regular platinum select card, but the caption below it says "Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard." It's possible that whoever designed the page made a mistake by putting Elite in the caption (the regular card is marketed as an "AAdvantage World MasterCard"). Guess we'll have to see if the page changes in the future.

Completely agree that the card needs a lot more sweetening to be worthwhile, especially if the platinum select benefits aren't included.

EDIT: I looked at it again and I can't see how it can be a typo--the regular AAdvantage World MasterCard is the second one pictured and has the correct caption. but the third card that is labelled the AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard does not look like the actual World Elite card since it has platinum written on the bottom instead of executive. Maybe this is a new card that hasn't come out yet?

Last edited by usviflyer; May 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's great - thanks for the post. I guess I need to do some redemption on my wife's AA account before I cancel her Exec card.
Old May 20, 2012, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
10k miles returned did not show up on my most recent AA Platinum World Elite statement; haven't gotten another AA Amex or AA Executive card statement yet to see if it shows up on either.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nkedel
10k miles returned did not show up on my most recent AA Platinum World Elite statement; haven't gotten another AA Amex or AA Executive card statement yet to see if it shows up on either.
Mine that did show so far didn't show on the credit card statement at all - just in my AA account.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by josephstern
Mine that did show so far didn't show on the credit card statement at all - just in my AA account.
Yep, mine showed up in my AA account before I was aware of the benefit... someone up-thread suggested checking the statements to see if any of them indicated which card actually provided the benefit.
Old May 26, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bassque
I've been following this thread off and on since it began and I've been curious as to whether or not this 'chip and signature' card would work in the London Underground kiosks. Yesterday, I was able to finally test this on my own.

I'm happy to report that I was able to top up an oyster card using the chipped card. At no point did the machine (at the Holborn stop) ever ask me for a PIN. It simply completed the transaction and added the money (40 GBP) to the oyster card.

I haven't tried at any other kiosks but it's nice to confirm success for the Underground machines.
I'm not sure I'd draw any positive EMV conclusions from this. I have successfully used non-chip CC's for Oyster cards before. It's possible the machine just used the strip access of your card. If you got it working in Paris for the metro, that's a different story. That is what I'd like to see, is if this card works where strip-only traditionally hasn't.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian

Well... just called Citi and the nice woman said that in fact this does NOT apply to the WorldElite MasterCard so the pictures of the cards in this website are correct (rather than the captions...)

This probably explains why I haven't seen 10k miles back on my 100k NRT redemption. Oh well-- would have been nice!
Old May 26, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Well... just called Citi and the nice woman said that in fact this does NOT apply to the WorldElite MasterCard so the pictures of the cards in this website are correct (rather than the captions...)

This probably explains why I haven't seen 10k miles back on my 100k NRT redemption. Oh well-- would have been nice!
Wow - I wish Citi would fix this and clarify. I was about to use my wife's AA account for a redemption, to get these miles back.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by MasterPlanner

So if the picture is right and caption is wrong, what exactly is the card in the third picture? It's not the regular AAdvantage MasterCard since that's in the second picture, and I can't seem to find any other credit card product offered by Citi that looks like that...
Old May 27, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by BillBauman
I'm not sure I'd draw any positive EMV conclusions from this. I have successfully used non-chip CC's for Oyster cards before. It's possible the machine just used the strip access of your card. If you got it working in Paris for the metro, that's a different story. That is what I'd like to see, is if this card works where strip-only traditionally hasn't.
This April my chip/sig WE MC worked fine to buy carnets of Metro tickets in Paris, but would not work in RER ticket machines.
Charles
Old May 27, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by cnixon
This April my chip/sig WE MC worked fine to buy carnets of Metro tickets in Paris, but would not work in RER ticket machines.
Charles
Thanks so much for the info. That's what I feared. One of my greatest motivating factors to possibly get this card is to use it in RER machines in Paris. I guess, for now, I'll pass/keep looking. I just came over to AA (consider myself a United refugee) and really want AC access. Maybe I'll just buy it with the discount they give to ExPlats. It also seems that the AC access purchased outright is slightly different than that granted with the WE MC.
Old May 27, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BillBauman
It also seems that the AC access purchased outright is slightly different than that granted with the WE MC.
I don't believe that's the case. The credit card come with "membership" rather than "access" (as with Amex) so there should be no difference.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.