Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: If AA Citi Exec MC purchases no longer count toward Million Miler status after 2012:
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely keep my card - other benefits worth it
7.45%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably keep my card
6.83%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I'm not sure yet if I will keep or cancel my card
14.29%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will probably cancel my card
16.15%
Obtained card on/before Nov 30, 2011: I will definitely cancel my card - other benefits not worth it
28.57%
Obtained card after Nov 30, 2011: I'm already ineligible for this benefit anyways
4.97%
I'm not a cardholder: I would enroll if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
13.66%
I'm not a cardholder: I would not enroll even if this benefit were offered for new cardholders
1.86%
I'm not a cardholder: I just want to see the poll results
6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Archive: AA Citibank Executive / AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard (& MM poll)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Hi5z
then they better start thinking about revising the terms of the card before the first batch of contract expirations.
It's easy to say "they'd better," but my sense is that Citi tends to be a very reactive organization, and it's unlikely.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I did the same, for the many reasons cited. I can use this card overseas (heading to France for a month soon) with the Chip and Signature / EMV card with no forex fees (just as you did not get charged the forex fee for using the card in Toronto). I also love the Citi Virtual Credit Card option, and as I have designated this my primary card, it works quite well in the US and abroad (and no forex fees on that either). So far, pretty good, responsive customer service.

Though my Diners card is MasterCard branded and fully Chip and PIN, and therefore usable in, say SNCF train ticket kiosks etc. they still charge a 3% forex fee. AMEX offers - MR points, whoopee, and a very poor travel agency experience IME, no EMV chip at all, and limited acceptance.

MM miles? I unfortunately passed 5MM late last year (I failed to manage how many bonus miles I earned through the various offers, especially the 40k per trip Europe bonus) and do not see myself ever earning 6MM. Whether they extend the Citi Executive MM miles eligibility or not makes no difference to me.

Originally Posted by JRomulus
It obviously depends on the individual's needs.
I converted from the $85 card in December.
Every year I forked over $400 to American for a AC membership. So in January, I simply sent the money to Citi instead and got this great card, which includes a Real AC membershiip, not a platinum guest priveledge. I already have 3 Amex cards, surely do not need a 4th and not giving up my PR Gold.
Secondly, I now have a no FTF card.
Thirdly, I now have a chip card which worked just fine in Toronto last week, the waitress at Moxie's slid a card reader that had no mag stripe reader on it across the table, I stuck the card in the front and answered the questions, added the tip and I was good to go.! No signature either, receipt printed right out.
No feeling like a stupid noob with 20th century technology. I'm sure the card will be amont the first in the US to go pure C&P.
The "Gold light" benefits are good until I regain my status.
The customer service is special for this card. I called them and said I needed a heftier CL to use this card for business travel instead of Amex and 5 days later they upped me to $20K.
YMMV, but the cards works for me and I'll get million miler the regular way inside of 3 years regardless.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by JDiver
no forex fees (just as you did not get charged the forex fee for using the card in Toronto). I also love the Citi Virtual Credit Card option
+1 on the virtual card option, but had that on my old citi. However with this card i got fantastic service on a multiple charge expensive purchase with a chinese bank. i had fraud prevention get on the line with no wait and she watched my account while i paid for three items, so they could override the checks in the software. I am not completely certain it would have been that easy with my other cards.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Platininum, Marriott Gold, National Executive
<Is there a material value added to the real AC membership vs being guested in via AMEX Plat?>

Yes, this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum and COULD be important depending on your business travel and needs.

With a "Real" Admiral's Club membership, you can use the club anytime you are at the airport, not just on days you are ticketed on AA.
You do not have to be flying American, so if you are at ORD and are flying Continental or Delta, but only have an AA club membership and 3 hours to kill, go right in, no problem.

Also, related to this is setting up meetings at the club (with or without guests) even if you are not flying. Example, your boss and some colleagues are flying through town and want to meet with you at the airport-- just call the Club and they will provide a pass for you to go through security to get to the club and meet your guests. (I have done this before and it was greatly appreciated by my colleagues and boss).

I have chatted about the differences with the Club personnel and the senior ones at least absolutely know the difference in membership and privledges.

I travel almost exclusively on AA (ORD, DFW, RDU, LGA) and these are 2 benefits that make a "Real" membership worthwhile to me.

Last edited by JRomulus; Apr 11, 2012 at 11:47 am
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
if you are at ORD and are flying Continental or Delta, but only have an AA club membership and 3 hours to kill, go right in, no problem.
I doubt anyone would clear T3 security just to visit the Admirals Club at ORD, get out, schlep back to T1 or T2 to make it into for their CO or DL flight. If I had a CO or DL flight out of T1 or T2, I'll stay at T1 or T2.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
I doubt anyone would clear T3 security just to visit the Admirals Club at ORD, get out, schlep back to T1 or T2 to make it into for their CO or DL flight. If I had a CO or DL flight out of T1 or T2, I'll stay at T1 or T2.
You have to go in and out of security at ORD?

I've used the ATL AC when flying AirTran in the past, no problem.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
You can walk between T2 & T3 behind security nothing but a long walk.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM EXP, UA 1K, DL Silver
I've done it. And you don't need to re-clear security.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
I did the same, for the many reasons cited. I can use this card overseas (heading to France for a month soon) with the Chip and Signature / EMV card with no forex fees (just as you did not get charged the forex fee for using the card in Toronto). I also love the Citi Virtual Credit Card option, and as I have designated this my primary card, it works quite well in the US and abroad (and no forex fees on that either). So far, pretty good, responsive customer service.
Are you implying that you can use Cit Virtual Account Numbers (VANs) with the Executive card? I beg to differ. I've tried it many times online, and it doesn't work. Naturally I have, and continue to use VANs with my AAdvantage PLT card and my Forward Card (so, it's not like I don't know what I'm doing). I've complained to customer service a couple of times on this and they say 'Virtual Account Numbers are not available for this card, but, we plan to make this feature available soon.'

If you have indeed used VANs with this card, then I would really appreciate it if you could explain how so, I am in dire need of that feature on this card.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thehawk75
If you have indeed used VANs with this card, then I would really appreciate it if you could explain how so, I am in dire need of that feature on this card.
Ditto.

The ability to use VAN is one reason why I've bothered to keep my regular Citi/AA card open.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Are you implying that you can use Cit Virtual Account Numbers (VANs) with the Executive card? I beg to differ. I've tried it many times online, and it doesn't work. Naturally I have, and continue to use VANs with my AAdvantage PLT card and my Forward Card (so, it's not like I don't know what I'm doing). I've complained to customer service a couple of times on this and they say 'Virtual Account Numbers are not available for this card, but, we plan to make this feature available soon.'

Did you specify the Exec card before launching VAN pop-up?

If so, you may only see "Virtual Account Numbers are not available for this card" on your screen.
I haven't use VAN for the exec card yet but it looks work for me.
After login to your citi card account, you may find multiple citi cards under your IDs. Don't specify and/or select your exec card even if your exec card isn't primary(listed at the top) for the account.
Just select "generate vertual account number" under "How do I" at the bottom of the screen.Make sure pop-up blocker turned off.Then select "Lauch now" for web-based version for testing.
After accept T&C, small window pop-up. Login again on the pop-up window.
Then select "select a card". You will see your multiple citi cards linked to your account.
For me , I am able to select my exec card for generating VAN.
If you can't find your exec card in the list, I can't help you.Good luck.

Last edited by supergrandslam; Apr 12, 2012 at 2:42 pm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by supergrandslam
Sadly, in my case it only shows the older card, and not the Executive one. Oh well.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1 MM
<Is there a material value added to the real AC membership vs being guested in via AMEX Plat?>

Yes, this has been discussed elsewhere on this forum and COULD be important depending on your business travel and needs.

With a "Real" Admiral's Club membership, you can use the club anytime you are at the airport, not just on days you are ticketed on AA.
You do not have to be flying American, so if you are at ORD and are flying Continental or Delta, but only have an AA club membership and 3 hours to kill, go right in, no problem.

Also, related to this is setting up meetings at the club (with or without guests) even if you are not flying. Example, your boss and some colleagues are flying through town and want to meet with you at the airport-- just call the Club and they will provide a pass for you to go through security to get to the club and meet your guests. (I have done this before and it was greatly appreciated by my colleagues and boss).

I have chatted about the differences with the Club personnel and the senior ones at least absolutely know the difference in membership and privledges.

I travel almost exclusively on AA (ORD, DFW, RDU, LGA) and these are 2 benefits that make a "Real" membership worthwhile to me.
I called AA's AC number about my card and CS told me that a real AC membership gets the benefit above. The Citi AA Executive card allows for entry into the AC without flying on AA on day of travel, but doesn't get that benefit. Entry via Amex Plat requires same day travel (e.g. must produce BP). Is that correct?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EBS GLD, A|Club PLT, CC Silver, HH GLD
The Concierge Service....

For those of you that don't use it. I strongly recommend saving it as a contact in your phone and using it all the time.

Easy example… Why try and search of things to do in your home town?

Call them up and say… My girlfriend/wife/significant other and I are looking for something fun to do on Friday in Columbus. We’re available from 6PM to 12AM. Can you shoot me over some restaurants to try and if there are any activities going on that night?

They find everything, you reply back to the email or call them they make all the reservations. 20 Minutes of work for you and a whole night that just got planned that would have taken an hour or two of your time.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Did you specify the Exec card before launching VAN pop-up?

If so, you may only see "Virtual Account Numbers are not available for this card" on your screen.

Yup, that's what I did originally...

I haven't use VAN for the exec card yet but it looks wrok for me.
After login to your citi card account, you may find multiple citi cards under your IDs. Don't specify and/or select your exec card even if your exec card isn't primary(listed at the top) for the account.
Just select "generate vertual account number" under "How do I" at the bottom of the screen.Make sure pop-up blocker turned off.Then select "Lauch now" for web-based version for testing.
After accept T&C, small window pop-up. Login again on the pop-up window.
Then select "select a card". You will see your multiple citi cards linked to your account.
For me , I am able to select my exec card for generating VAN.
You know what's funny... I had tried those steps before to see if I could 'trick it' once into the application, but, my Exec MC never appeared. So, that's when I called customer service on it and they said 'Sorry, we don't support it for this card yet'.

However, given what you just said, it inspired me to instead of launching the application from the browser, to instead use the downloadable application. I ran that, logged in, and lo-and-behold my Executive MC was available!!

To further confirm that this does work, I generated a number and made a purchase using it. The result? I am happy to report that I do see my credit line has been reduced by the amount of the purchase on the VAN, likewise the merchant does indicate that the purchase was successful.

Now I just wish I could generate a couple of 'virtual billing addresses' for the card, and not just numbers.

But, so far I am quite happy. I wish I knew about this previously. Thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.