Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

FoundersCard is back (NO LONGER OFFERING GLD mini-challenge/discounts - May 20, 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FoundersCard is back (NO LONGER OFFERING GLD mini-challenge/discounts - May 20, 2012)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 6:54 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
As a referral of a Charter Member...
You should find out who referred you and thank them.

I also read the promo code as CHAPTER11... and was rolling on the floor.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
For what it's worth, I joined Founders Card after the whole fiasco, and have been happy with it. Their rates with Starwood are far better than any others I've seen (much better than the corporate rate I can get which is for one of the top 10 largest US companies). I have used it at the St. Regis SF ($290 vs. ~$390) and W Barcelona (150 euros vs. 275), and have been very happy with it. I think they screwed up and overpromised on the AA benefit, but as far as I can tell it was more of a mistake than deliberate lying.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:15 am

I'm flipping through their Facebook page at the moment. Spotted in their photo album:
Aaron Kuhl HEY GUYS!! WE NEED A NEW AA CODE FOR TRAVEL IN JULY AND ONE THAT IS GOOD FOR MULTI-CITY TRIPS OR AT LEAST PART OF IT!!!!! WHY HAVEN'T WE BEEN GIVEN THESE CODES YET, IT IS ALMOST JULY AND WE ARE TRYIN TO BOOKS FLIGHTS NOW!!!!?????????!?!?!?!?!?!?! LET'S GET THIS DONE YOU GUYS AT FC!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!
June 11 at 11:05pm
Hmmm... seems like things don't change.

Also, what's up with those pictures? Doesn't look much like a collection of CEOs from "Leading Corporations."

Anyway, caveat emptor, as they say.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
There are some interesting comments on the AA page linked above. If you go to https://founderscard.com/techcentralsf and then click the AA link, you can read them. The comments are undated, but here's a sample:

I just got upgraded to Gold status. I think this may have just solidified my loyalty to American. So cool! I'm definitely going to book on AA now whenever I can get a direct flight.
This worked great, I was already gold and upgraded to Platinum. Great to see free wifi and 10% off now!
Posting from the sky with my free wifi...great benefit.
Got free wi-fi and the 10% discount in a jiff. Can't beat this.
why no AA discount on multi city trips?
Nice automated promotion code...
Also, on this page, there are some Qantas goodies:

FoundersCard Members receive 10-20% off travel between US, Australia, and New Zealand. Discounts are available on all classes of service.
And finally, although it's not OneWorld related:

FoundersCard members receive discounts up to 13% on travel to all Virgin Atlantic destinations in all classes of service.

As a FoundersCard member, you also receive an immediate complimentary upgrade to Flying Club Silver Status with a fast-track to Gold Status. Benefits include:

An extra 25% of miles flown on qualifying Virgin Atlantic flights.
Access to Premium Economy check in on every flight regardless of class of travel.
Priority standby on all eligible flights.
Receive four complimentary First Class upgrades, two each for Heathrow Express and Gatwick Express trains.
There are a bunch more links to non-airline benefits, but I think this post is long enough already
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by statics
Hmm, with only a 10% discount, I'd probably opt for the Costco giftcards.
Very few Costcos actually have the cards right now, so these aren't a viable option for most most people.

Since they are merely a form of payment, as a few others have specified, they should be stackable.

With the Costco yearend rebate, that could add up to 22% off, which is pretty significant.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 7:55 am

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
search for FOUNDERSCARD on facebook.

Originally Posted by emma dog
I'm flipping through their Facebook page at the moment. Spotted in their photo album:

Hmmm... seems like things don't change.

Also, what's up with those pictures? Doesn't look much like a collection of CEOs from "Leading Corporations."
ROFL at the facebook albums. Yeah, that is definitely NOT a collection of CEO's from leading corporations. It looks like a group of starving artists and alleged hipsters. Is that at someone's condo? With vendors at tables around the edges of the room? LOL.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:01 am

What AA giveth, AA taketh away. Student Advantage had 10% off codes for AA.com for about a year, but this summer they did not renew the program. Maybe the codes will come back, but maybe not.

The point being...I can see AA giving these guys some codes on a trial basis (that seems to be what "quarterly" means) to see how legit these guys are. And if sales don't meet expectations, that benefit will be eliminated.

Of course, if Student Advantage gets its 10% code back, then you'd be getting the same exact benefit as FC, except you'd only be paying about $15 a year for it!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 9:37 am

lobo411, you're completely wrong. With Student Advantage, you don't get a cool black card that says "FOUNDERS CARD" on it. That alone gets you to level 2 in Super DYKWIA World.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by NYBanker
Very few Costcos actually have the cards right now, so these aren't a viable option for most most people.

Since they are merely a form of payment, as a few others have specified, they should be stackable.

With the Costco yearend rebate, that could add up to 22% off, which is pretty significant.
Not quite 22%.

Since your handle says you're a banker, lets do the math. A $100 fare gets discounted to $90 ($10 off). Your costco gift card costs $81 (10% off $90), and 2% of $81 is $1.62. Total savings is 10+9+1.62, or 20.62%.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swag
Not quite 22%.

Since your handle says you're a banker, lets do the math. A $100 fare gets discounted to $90 ($10 off). Your costco gift card costs $81 (10% off $90), and 2% of $81 is $1.62. Total savings is 10+9+1.62, or 20.62%.
Wow... not much going on at work today, eh?

Regards
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
lobo411, you're completely wrong. With Student Advantage, you don't get a cool black card that says "FOUNDERS CARD" on it. That alone gets you to level 2 in Super DYKWIA World.
True...I might get 2 FC cards, just in case I'm not super cool enough!
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Originally Posted by lobo411
True...I might get 2 FC cards, just in case I'm not super cool enough!
But the Student Advantage card gives you more Hit Points.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:13 am

Well, my curiosity was piqued enough to give it a try. I've been a FoundersCard member for about a week now, and I'm still working my way through the various benefits, partners and discounts. It looks like you can request a 10% AA discount code at pretty much any time (round-trip only, I think), so I'll make back the cost of my FC membership within my next three or four trips. That's good enough of a deal for me ^

If anyone else is interested, send me a PM. Looks like they've given me a few invitations, so I'm happy to invite some fellow FTers.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
In fairness to FC, I thought that someone was misrepresenting who was eligible for the card here on FT, not so much that FC has misrepresented anything?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by sica4
In fairness to FC, I thought that someone was misrepresenting who was eligible for the card here on FT, not so much that FC has misrepresented anything?
I'm not sure it's really appropriate to discuss the matter here, but I believe FC were promising status on AA, while AA claimed to have no relationship with FC or knowledge of the offer. I may be misremembering a bit though as the thread has been removed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.