Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by MauiTigerShark
From the AA website: "Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible."

That's the only restriction I can see as far as "where you must start" goes...are there any others?

I ask because your profile shows you're based out of LAX (as am I) and as a holder of quite a few of these gift cards I'd like to know if I'm missing something.
We fly several TATL's each year and have found that Europe-USA-Europe tends to offer better pricing than v-v, even after a change fee for having guessed wrong about when we'd fly the second leg.

Domestically, as a miles whore I always give AA the first chance, but that just gets me to "wow, how can they be that much more expensive?". Yes, I understand that they can be competitive when they choose to be, but I haven't been able to benefit from any of that for a while.

Part of my perspective may be because we try to maintain status on points rather than miles so we might be looking at different fare bins than most.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:50 pm

In a BK ?

Any thoughts on how these are treated in a CH 11 ? In an CH 7 ?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by idainc
Any thoughts on how these are treated in a CH 11 ? In an CH 7 ?
11 - retain full value, no advantage to the company to cancel them
7 - worthless, subordinate to all the real debt

Not that either is likely at the moment.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I bough 5 Gift Cards. Used 4 of them and have one left over. I have no need for airtravel in the near future, but will need hotel and auto....are these GF usable for hotels/auto on AA.com or is it limited only to airfare?
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:32 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Terms and Conditions:

https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp

Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation. Gift Cards may not be used for products and/or services that are sold separately, such as upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; AmericanAirlines Vacations SM or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.
(underlining is mine)
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Originally Posted by JY1024
Terms and Conditions:

https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp

(underlining is mine)
Oxygen fees! Yumpin Yiminy, AA must be in real trouble.

[purser] The captain has just illuminated the "oxygen optional" light, indicating that we're passing above 20,000ft. If you'd like to continue breathing, please insert $25 into your personal oxygen dispenser for each 10 minutes of oxygen desired. Please remember that AA giftcards are not usable for this feature. [/purser]
Old Oct 4, 2011, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by andyandy
Oxygen fees! Yumpin Yiminy, AA must be in real trouble.

[purser] The captain has just illuminated the "oxygen optional" light, indicating that we're passing above 20,000ft. If you'd like to continue breathing, please insert $25 into your personal oxygen dispenser for each 10 minutes of oxygen desired. Please remember that AA giftcards are not usable for this feature. [/purser]
... But you forget, AA is a NON-Cash airline now. Please swipe your CC...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
It would seem that unless you have a trip coming up soon and thus a use for the gift card you are better off deferring on these items.

Giving any company an unsecured junior loan in a time of a potential impending bankruptcy filing is just not worth it.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnAx
11 - retain full value, no advantage to the company to cancel them
7 - worthless, subordinate to all the real debt

Not that either is likely at the moment.
Hang onto you rreceipt and you can return them to costco for a full refund whenever you want.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I bough 5 Gift Cards. Used 4 of them and have one left over. I have no need for airtravel in the near future, but will need hotel and auto....are these GF usable for hotels/auto on AA.com or is it limited only to airfare?
Already answered, search
Air only
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt GP Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Anyone know if they are still available around Chicago area.

I am down to my last 4. With all the travelling planned for the next few months, I can use more of these.

Thanx in advance.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by FINASTORY

I am down to my last 4. With all the travelling planned for the next few months, I can use more of these.

Thanx in advance.
Simply ask Costco. Afaik their computer (in store) knows that answer.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by sharklover
Hang onto your receipt and you can return them to costco for a full refund whenever you want.
Maybe. Up-thread, someone reported considerable agitation at the request. Especially if they've become worthless, I think you'd be surprised at how unwilling Costco would be to assume that loss. (Again, my personal opinion is that there's zero chance of that happening in a time-frame that would merit concerns about these cards today.)
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:23 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
They have them at their Oakbrook location

Originally Posted by FINASTORY

Thanx in advance.
I've already bought and used 6 of them. My last purchase was this past Saturday.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Simply ask Costco. Afaik their computer (in store) knows that answer.
Just ask one of the managers at the "island" kiosk just past the cash register checkout area - they can instantly do a lookup for the four closest locations with any given product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.