Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Potential ORD weather issues - May 13

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Potential ORD weather issues - May 13

Checking on today's AA2352,2354,2333 (flights into and out of ORD), I see they have been cancelled which I assume is due to the rain in Chicago. I am booked on AA2352 tomorrow and wonder if some more experienced travelers can comment on the the chances of the flights actually flying tomorrow. I realize thunderstorms can result in cancellations but the weather forecasts just look like plain rain.
Old May 13, 2011, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amarcia
I see they have been cancelled which I assume is due to the rain in Chicago.
No rain @ ORD now.

Maybe a T-storm after 9pm.

Maybe it's a faulty flamshooter.
Old May 13, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
No rain @ ORD now.
If there are t-storms in the area where the planes have to fly through, it could be bone dry at ORD and still create delays.

And that seems to be the case today, with a commanded delay program for flights arriving at ORD and a separate one for flights crossing through parts of Michigan and Ohio. BTW, the ORD program has an average delay (before cancellations) of 233 minutes, with a maximum of 734 (!!). IMPACTING CONDITION: WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS; COMMENTS: ARR 4R/9R/10 DEP 32L/4L 9R
Old May 13, 2011, 2:34 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Checking on today's AA2352,2354,2333 (flights into and out of ORD), I see they have been cancelled which I assume is due to the rain in Chicago. I am booked on AA2352 tomorrow and wonder if some more experienced travelers can comment on the the chances of the flights actually flying tomorrow. I realize thunderstorms can result in cancellations but the weather forecasts just look like plain rain.

Don't make assumptions
AA2352 - Mechanical Cancellation
AA2354 - Delayed - Aircraft Sub to a 757
AA2333 - Canceled ORD ATC

A canceled flight today does not mean that it will cancel tomorrow, each day brings a new operation with and without delays or cancellations.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:12 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
ORD Weather May 13

If you have any flights to/from/thru ORD this afternoon, double-check your itineraries. There appears to be weather in ORD.

Hi. My niece was trying to connect in ORD this afternoon, and AA had canceled 2 flights in a row from STL to ORD due to weather in ORD.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:57 pm

My parents were scheduled on flight 1644 ORD-DCA at 6:15 p.m., which was canceled. No other carriers canceled flights to DCA, though there are significant delays.

These are the flight status comments:
SFO 1100A 57
ORD 8 T3 K13 515P 615P T3 H6
DCA 6 B 28 900P
3SFO/ETD1350 ORD ATC *1441
4SFO/OUT1352 OFF1424 *1624
1ORD/ CANCEL ORD -DCA -RMKS ACCT EQPT DIST ORD ATC *1113
7ORD/AUTO REACCOM SEE N*1544MAY13ORD *1134*CRCYMG
2ORD/ETA2023 *1649
1DCA/LX CANCEL ORD -DCA -RMKS ACCT EQPT DIST ORD ATC *1113

It seems it has something to do with an equipment issue and ATC (not weather). Is there any recourse to get them rebooked on another carrier tonight? It seems the only flight arriving tonight with available seats (per ExpertFlyer) is F9 out of MKE. Do you think AA would do this? My Dad's on the phone with AA now. He's LT GLD if that matters.
Old May 13, 2011, 4:24 pm

anybody knows why AA4224 & AA4097 were cancelled today?

hope AA4098 flies tonight

thanks
Old May 13, 2011, 4:35 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by khkchan
anybody knows why AA4224 & AA4097 were cancelled today?

hope AA4098 flies tonight

thanks
Weather
Old May 13, 2011, 6:53 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Speaking as one who had to find a hotel at ORD at 10:30pm on Wednesday night due to weather, I really question AAs ability to deal with irregular operations at ORD. In my case, which would end up being a long rant if I went into specifics, I was disgusted with they way they treated not only me but everyone involved. Those not prepared to pay a couple of hundred bucks for a room and meter and a half for a taxi probably ended up sleeping at the airport.

I can absolutely tell you that on K concourse there was not an AA person who was willing to help any regular travelers. In my case I was able to corner a CK rep who booked me the "closest" hotel available, a Holiday Inn Express in Elgin Il. I later googled it and it was 26 miles from the airport. Thanks for nothing.

The AA people I observed, including but not limited to the woman who closed the STL flight with empty seats and 5 people trying to get on the plane, were way more interested in clocking out then helping anyone.

My advice to anyone flying through ORD when there is weather is to make sure you have some cash and some patience because IMHO you can't count on AA to do the right thing. As a footnote I would add that this was my first trip as a 7 million miler- HAHAHAHA.
Old May 13, 2011, 8:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by abk
The AA people I observed, including but not limited to the woman who closed the STL flight with empty seats and 5 people trying to get on the plane, were way more interested in clocking out then helping anyone.
You bring up two interesting issues. In the case of weather at an airport, are gate agents authorized to hold a flight and not close it out 10 minutes before departure? If not, where is that call made? When was the STL flight closed?

Second: will the employee be paid if they hang around after the flight closes?
Old May 14, 2011, 6:40 am
Original Poster

ORD weather problems

Originally Posted by HNL
Don't make assumptions
AA2352 - Mechanical Cancellation
AA2354 - Delayed - Aircraft Sub to a 757
AA2333 - Canceled ORD ATC

A canceled flight today does not mean that it will cancel tomorrow, each day brings a new operation with and without delays or cancellations.
Is there a web site that one can go to - to see the reasons for AA's problems?

Last edited by amarcia; May 14, 2011 at 6:44 am Reason: did not enter reply - sorry
Old May 14, 2011, 8:38 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a web site that one can go to - to see the reasons for AA's problems?
I got that information from www.expertflyer.com which is a subscription service many AA FT members find extremely valuable to search for hidden award inventory - but it also has the FLIFO info and comments.

The KVS Availability Tool also has access to the FIFO notes.

www.aacargo is a free place to get better FLIFO information that aa.com provides. It does not include the comments, but will specify the reasons (e.g. mechanical, diversion, weather . . .)
Old May 15, 2011, 12:47 pm

AA cancelled both evening flights from IAH on Friday and booked me on a late Saturday morning flight. I know they fly the same crj700 back and forth from ORD, so this likely helped contribute to the issues. Somehow UA had no problem selling me a ticket and getting me home only an hour after schedule, on a mainline aircraft no less. After some pretty heavy turbulence I experienced the day before on an Eagle flight, enough so to divert to Austin, this was a welcome outcome to the circumstances. I did have to fork over a last minute first fare, but getting home to the family for the weekend is priceless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.