Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What we like most and are grateful for about AA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Lets see.

This morning I reserved and ticketed a same-day ticket for the weekend. Would have been $1368 roundtrip if I were paying, but I was able to get a saver level award, booked online, had my choice of nonstop flight times, for just 25K + $5. No expedite fee as a GLD.

Was able to reserve my favorite exit row aisle. Room in the extended DEF bins for my bag wheels first. Gogo on board working like a charm for just $10 more. And an empty seat next to me means I can even use my mouse instead of the touchpad.

^

Last edited by swag; Mar 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm
Old Mar 4, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat->Gold->Silver, AA EXP 1MM
Originally Posted by vasantn
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the EXP Desk yet. Of course it's only for EXPs, but so are SWUs for the most part. The EXP agents have become more of a mixed bag in the last 2-3 years but the good ones still continue to amaze me from time to time with their skill, professionalism and dedication to customer service.

This would be #1 for me as well

Also, the eVIP's as I rarely flew business class before achieving AA EXP

Lastly, the award availability. Even before I had AA status I could usually find AA award availability easier than on NW/DL
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I'm grateful for EXPs benefit and the ability to apply SWU/EVIPs to any fare class.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by mikelat
I'm grateful for EXPs benefit and the ability to apply SWU/EVIPs to any fare class.
Yes. Big difference from UA.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Most of mine have already been mentioned:

- High upgrade rate for EXPs, although my rate on NW/DL has truly been 100% over the last several years. My AA rate is less than that but still high. Unfortunately I mostly fly between AUS and DFW with lots of other EXPs.
- Best food and drink in domestic F.
- Best phone service, even for non-elites.
- Lots of flights out of Texas and at competitive fares.

And a few that a DL frequent flyer can really appreciate:

- The plane door almost always opens immediately upon arrival.
- A web site that does what it does well. I'm sure some might laugh at this, and it could certainly use a few more functions and a redesign in places, but I find it consistent and reliable. With each "enhancement" delta.com has become weirder and less useful.
- The fact that this thread didn't deteriorate into AA bashing. Whenever someone tries a thread like this on the DL forum it takes no time at all for it to become very negative.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Three things that AA does better than any of the others:

* EXP Desk. Excellent. Co plat desk does not even compare.
* Warm Nuts in F.
* Ice Cream Sundaes in F.

Thanks AA!!
Old Mar 5, 2011, 12:31 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
I'm glad that AA does not have the equivalent of UA's starnet blocking:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...light=blocking
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: Persona Non-Status, DYKWIA Club President, Formerly of Pa Kettle Fame
- Near immediate phone service even for persona non-status
- Excellent staff attitudes
- Signage, and music the "Proud to be ... American" slogan warms my heart and I like the humming tune that they always play in the ads and planes.
- Good mileage redemption and availability

Bad:
- Customer relations is unreachable by phone.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 1:50 pm

Location: Palm Beach/Hungary 3.9MM AA EXP, UA GOLD 1MM, DL PLT, MARR LIFE PLT
Got a few extra EVIPS from a glitch and service issue. Very nice benefit!

Once a EXP agent agreed that a $500 change fee on a $5200 fare was stupid and sent me travel voucher to offset it.

Beyond that, as airlines go, AA is ok.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
1. AA treated us well when I had no status. We had a weather delay (2.5hrs) out of LGA (we were flying LGA-ORD-SNA) & AA put us on a UA flight going to SNA so we wouldn't have to spend the night in ORD. ^ SNA has a curfew. Of course, dealing with UA's call center in India to add my UA FF# is whole another story.

As a PLT/EXP.

2. Plat Challenge.
3. Lounges: PLT on intl itineraries. Flagship w/EXP. FC lounges as EXP, even in OW coach . ^
4. Intl upgrades (VIP's) on any fare. Nice to upgrade non status spouse to Biz )
5. Admirals Club with showers. UA RCC didn't have showers back in 2002-04.
6. Great EXP desk.
7. Great upgrade % as EXP. Decent when I was Plat.
8. Decent award availiblity. I was able to get a Biz seat on QF back in Dec 2008 (put on hold, didn't use it) going LAX-MEL-HBA RT. No go w/UA biz. Nothing for 11 months.
9. USA call centers. Even with no status. ^

Some people gripe about older planes & the lack of lie flat seats in intl Biz. I rather be able to get the upgrade with more seats available than sit in coach.

Overall, I like AA the best. I used to be top tier of UA & US.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
EXP desk + a relatively efficient phone system that doesnt route me out of country, put me on hold for hours, or keep transferring me over and over. Even as a GS on UA I had frustrating phone experiences. On AA 9 out of 10 EXP agents are terrifically patient and helpful.

Admirals club re-booking in response to a cancellation or unexpected event, without asking.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:16 pm
Suspended

- Lifetime Platinum
- Relatively Easy Redemptions
- No/Low Fees on Redemptions
- Investment in Facilities at Hub Airports (JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD, DFW)
- Ability to access ACs with AX Plat or BA Gold for FLs
- Not wasting money changing the logo every six years
- No forays into TED/Song experiments
- 'Best in Class' mid-Con F catering
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
The published benefits of being a good customer are always
met cheerfully.

Equally important, when something does go wrong, they always take care of me.
It is tremendous now, beng an EXP, but there were many years of being Gold and Plat when I was handled really well.

So overall, and most important of all, AA does make me feel like a valued customer. I have over 2 Million miles with them, and I can recount stories of cabs sent, champagne and upgrades given for a special occassion, my children handled well when flying on tickets for them and their spouses and so many other things. They maintain the relationship both in the air and on the ground.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat 100, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by RxCapt
Availability of award inventory
+1
Old Mar 6, 2011, 2:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Counting every mile earned for the "Program To Date Miles". There's no way I'd be anywhere near 1MM without this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.