Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

767 power - AA reactivated all 762 ports; Main cabin 763 by "end of 2011" (not quite)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

767 power - AA reactivated all 762 ports; Main cabin 763 by "end of 2011" (not quite)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:30 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The positive part is, like on the 757s, I would hope that instead of fixing the problems they will be switched out for 110v ports.

That being said, its taking forever on the 757s.
I was shocked to be on a 757 yesterday from CDG to find that the row I was in had no power port at all. The row in front did when I checked.

It really brings home the idea of how we take power ports for granted these days.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PPro/ 1MM+, Marriott LT Plat
Wow. Hadn't heard this until just now. This sucks. Power was the only thing that made 767s bearable on an intl flight to begin with.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Originally Posted by dstan
Thank you to AAFA and sluggoaafa for giving us all a heads up on this! It's a real downer, but at least we can be prepared.
That does say it best. Powering up everything each stop in the lounge will now become standard practice by many of us.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:50 am

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
Originally Posted by geepmaley
Wow. Hadn't heard this until just now. This sucks. Power was the only thing that made 767s bearable on an intl flight to begin with.
don't worry - these are supposedly ONLY on the 767-200 transcons... I was told that the international flights are OK - for now!!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Just bring a book

Even that now requires power with the kindle app on my phone or the kindle unit itself (at least the kindle unit will last for any flight in the world on a single charge.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by hillrider
........ There you have a new slogan: "Come fly with us, our fleet is younger than Air Namibia's"!
My nomination for best line of 2011 thus far!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Even then...

Today’s (Air Namibia) fleet comprises the following;
  • 2 x Airbus A340-300 aircraft
  • 1 x Airbus A319-100 aircraft
  • 2 x Boeing B737-500 aircraft
  • 4 x Beechcraft B1900 D

AA does have some old albatrosses - OTOH, new 738s are coming online regularly, and some 777s are due. 787-923s? Well, uh...

Originally Posted by pssteve
My nomination for best line of 2011 thus far!
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by janetdoe
I just got a similar call - they said it was in reference to both my flights (SFO-JFK Mon and return Tues) and they just said they were proactively crediting me with 10k miles and wanted to thank me for my business. So perhaps it's 5k per transcon. Do you have a return flight in the near future? It may give us an idea for when they think the problem will be fixed.
5k each way will get me over this. I just at this point have to hope it lasts until my next transcon in four weeks.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
can anybody confirm if they are even handing out the PED's on transcon's right now? or are they skipping that altogether and just showing movies on the big screen and offering bose headsets to those who want them?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, SPG GLD, DL FO, VX, UA, US, ICH, Hyatt, Avis Pref.
I find myself flying Virgin America transcon more and more. Working power ports, working wifi, better food and drink purchase options, LED lighting and FAs that don't give you the evil eye when you say "excuse me". And they just announced the order of 60 more planes so I'm sure their network will be expanding.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: EXP- finally
Powerports

Originally Posted by mikelat
Macbook, by chance? I purchased one of the HyperMac batteries for my MBP and have been very happy with it.
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Ex...e-USB-s/91.htm Still, sucks to not have power on the planes.
Appreciate the heads up. Interesting this appears here and not an official announcement or their twitter feed. DFW-MAD next week so I hope the TATL metal is fixed. But to be prepared, putting about 6 movies on the ipad, taking the laptop and the ipad and the Touch. And a book. And an external battery. And sleeping aids. And something like this for the ACs.

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Travel-.../dp/B0049822BE

Not much room for clothes. I forgot something..... Oh yes, the Mrs.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:28 am

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
Originally Posted by bstndance
I find myself flying Virgin America transcon more and more. Working power ports, working wifi, better food and drink purchase options, LED lighting and FAs that don't give you the evil eye when you say "excuse me". And they just announced the order of 60 more planes so I'm sure their network will be expanding.
The only thing missing is a lounge and for me, that's the deal killer!!!! They really need to build their own or contract with another carrier -
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA
I was on AA90 ORD - LHR this morning in J (a 763). We were told that all power ports in Y and J were disabled. There was to be no passout of PEDs. The flight was cancelled due to an unrelated mechanical so I couldn't test the port but I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Last edited by CIMorse; Jan 17, 2011 at 11:07 am Reason: clarify unclear wording
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
This is my experience on Flight 2 LAX-JFK yesterday.

First, I was returning home so only one transcon. I got the call about the mileage about 14 hours before the flight. Keep in mind, the call came on the 15th, the day they cut off the power. I don't think the time they call before your flight is relevant, they're just going down a list.

I was offered 10K miles just for the return flight as an EXP on a cheap fare with an upgrade.

The FAs were a bit confused as to what to do with the PED. This was their first flight without power and according to the Purser they were not giving instructions. I asked if they'd give out the PED's anyway and we could use them until the power ran out. Mine wasn't charged at all and lasted 30 min. The person next to me had theirs last the entire flight. Apparently everyone's experience will vary.

This is one situation where I actually feel bad for the FA's who are stuck in the middle.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by demkr
Congrats United, you just earned yourself a new customer, atleast I'll be cared for in San Francisco.
UA doesn't have working EmPower in F on most of the narrowbody fleet.

The p.s. birds have 110V power throughout.

There's one "test" configuration 757 with 110v power throughout. None of the other 757's have power in Y. Some have EmPower in F, but once the system dies, they're not repairing it.

About 1/3 of the Airbii have EmPower in F (again, once the system dies, they're not repairing it). None have power in Y.

None of the international configuration wide-bodies have power in Y, except for the 5 (or is it 6) 777's that have been reconfigured to a 3-3-3 in Y.

All wide-bodies have either 110V outlets or EmPower in J/C and F. Domestic wide-bodies are all EmPower in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.