FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   767 power - AA reactivated all 762 ports; Main cabin 763 by "end of 2011" (not quite) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1172739-767-power-aa-reactivated-all-762-ports-main-cabin-763-end-2011-not-quite.html)

AAFA Jan 15, 2011 2:28 pm

767 power - AA reactivated all 762 ports; Main cabin 763 by "end of 2011" (not quite)

Just got a memo. Some 'problem' occurred and they are deactivating all 767-200 powerports and m/c on 767-300's.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This page on aa.com is probably the best source for updates on power in your cabin.

4 Jun 2012: 763 / 767-323ERs are still in the process of having power in Coach upgraded... as reported by uppereastff, though AA had originaly stated all power issues would be resovled by "end of 2011".

9/16/11: All powerports in the 767-223ER fleet have reportedly been reactivated, as have the power ports on the 777, 767-323ER Business/First, 757-223 International, 737-823, MD-80 - leaving the 757 domestic and 763 coach cabins still uncompleted: http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/entertai...nDemand.jsp#ip (Tip of the Moderator hat to AlwaysOnTheRoad)

5/20/11: All powerports in the 767-200 fleet have reportedly been reactivated. Repairs of the row 17-44 main cabin powerports on the affected portion of the 767-300 fleet (49/58 aircraft) are continuing: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16419604-post597.html

5/4/2011: We now have our first report of active powerports on a 767-200: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16327291-post584.html

4/21/2011: AA has indicated that all 767-200 powerports will be operational by May 2011. Main cabin (economy) of the 767-300, as well as domestic 757-200 aircraft, are expected to have all powerports operational by the end of 2011. AA.com site: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...powerports.jsp

2/7/11 - It appears that proactive compensation has stopped for many, perhaps all, passengers, and that requested compensation may no longer be granted as well:

Originally Posted by beachfan (Post 15818621)
For a 763 flight today at noon, I am still in coach. When I wrote complaining my first letter (last weeks RT flight) gave me 5k miles but my second letter (for another RT) gave me nada, I got this in reply.

"We understand that you received a gesture of goodwill from us while scheduled on a previous flight where the power ports had been deactivated. Due to the unexpected nature of this issue, we felt a gesture was in order during the first few days of the deactivation. We have since worked to provide advance notification to our customers, and we are no longer providing these gestures."

1/30/11 - New, longer-lasting PED batteries to be used on 762 aircraft (JFK-LAX), some apparently pulled from 752 aircraft. Compensation 'program' to end once batteries are in place. Advisory on contacting Customer Relations re: inability to use Gogo Inflight wifi due to powerport deactivation.

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa (Post 15768239)
clips of our update on this issue...

M&E is continuing to work on a solution to the powerport issue but here are a few updates on where things stand at the moment

350 additional PED batteries were shifted to the JFK-LAX 767-200 routes from the 757 a/c

We are receiving 1000 new, longer life batteries for the JFK-LAX routes starting on 2/1 If a customer on the 767-200 a/c purchases the Inflight Internet and is unable to use it on their flight due to the powerport deactivation, please advise them to contact Customer Relations through aa.com

The Reservations group continues to contact customers booked on all 767-200 flights, as well as Elite AADV members seated in M/C seats with a powerport on our 767-300 flights, to advise them in advance that the powerports are not available; aa.com has also been updated to include information about the powerport deactivation

once the new, longer life batteries are consistently available onboard (which we expect by February 4th), we’ll discontinue compensating customers with miles or vouchers

B767-200: (15 a/c) - This sub-fleet has the entire power port system deactivated affecting F/C, B/C, and Y/C

B767-300: N351-N399 (49 a/c) - This sub-fleet will have the power port system in M/C rows 17-44 deactivated
B767-300: N342-N350 (9 a/c) – The powerports on these aircraft will remain active in all cabins

If the Elite AADV member seated in M/C was not contacted prior to the flight by Reservations, they may contact Customer Relations through aa.com for more information

1/22/11 - Some passengers are receiving compensation proactively, without contacting AA. Other members report contacting AA by phone or email (Customer Relations) to request compensation. Proactive compensation is accompanied by an email of this general form:

Dear _______,

We would like to inform you, one of our most valued customers, that due to a technical issue, we have recently deactivated the DC power ports on our 767 aircraft. Your upcoming trip on American flight ____ from ___ to ___ will be operated by one of these 767 aircraft, so there will not be DC power at your seat.

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. To thank you for being a loyal American Airlines customer, we will be depositing 5,000 AAdvantageŽ miles into your account, which will post within 3-5 business days.

We wish you a pleasant trip, and as always, appreciate your loyalty.
Additional information has been posted downthread:

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa (Post 15666927)
posting some of the info received to hopefully inform those who question AAs disabling of the powerports. Please know that this is only for informational purpose only, and is NOT an official Press Release from AA.

In January 2011, an issue was discovered with a DC powerport on a Boeing 767 aircraft during a routine maintenance check. American is taking the proactive step to deactivate all DC powerports on our 767-200 fleet and in a portion of the coach class cabin on our 767-300 aircraft. American’s M&E team is looking into the issue and will take other necessary steps if any are identified.

Q. How many 767s does AA have?
A. American has 58 767-300 and 15 767-200 aircraft. This issue affects all 15 767-200s and only a selected portion of the coach class cabin on the 767-300s.

Q. How long will it take to fix this issue?
A. American is looking into the issue and will take any other necessary steps if any are identified.

Q. Do we know what the issue is?
A. The M&E team is looking into issue to identify the root cause (possible fire hazard? - added by Sluggo)

Q. How was the 767 powerport issue discovered?
A. American identified the issue while an aircraft was receiving routine maintenance at one of American’s maintenance bases.

Q. Is this the same powerport problem as was discovered in the 757 fleet?
A. Last year, the powerports were deactivated on the 757 domestic fleet. American is still looking into the 767 powerport issue to identify the root cause.
(bolding/italics/underline are mine)

Originally Posted by ua2162 (Post 15673066)
Just read the memo.

Only the first four rows of Y in the 763 and all of J will have power. Everything else will be turned off.

Originally Posted by AAFA (Post 15678427)
Additional info in purser briefing received from AA.
767-200
1. We are to distribute Bose headphones WITHOUT PEDs to F and C if that aircraft's powerports are deactivated.
2. Compensation is 10,000 for F and C customers and 5,000 or $50 voucher for Main Cabin.

767-300
Aircraft N351-399 (49 a/c) will have the powerports in rows 17-44 deactivated.
Aircraft N342-N350 (9a/c) will have working powerports in ALL cabins.

Main cabin AAdvantage members will get 5,000 miles or $50 dollar voucher.

AA Forum Moderator Team

smlsml Jan 15, 2011 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by AAFA (Post 15665227)
Just got a memo. Some 'problem' occurred and they are deactivating all 767-200 powerports and m/c on 767-300's.

Obviuos question is if this is similar to the 757 issue. Wow, AA's technology is really falling apart. It is one thing to be on a 2.5 hour MD80 when most of us have batteries that will survive a good portion (if not all) of the flight. Quite another on a Transcon or Intl 767 where there is no way, unless I brough a bag full of batteries to work.

MAH4546 Jan 15, 2011 2:41 pm

The positive part is, like on the 757s, I would hope that instead of fixing the problems they will be switched out for 110v ports.

That being said, its taking forever on the 757s.

atrainexp22 Jan 15, 2011 2:58 pm

this will be a major blow to the international operations of the 767-300

ESpen36 Jan 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by atrainexp22
this will be a major blow to the international operations of the 767-300

Actually, it sounds like the ports in NGBC will remain active.

For what it's worth, on my last 763 trip I fried my DC inverter and have had to replace it. Maybe it is related to the problem.

demkr Jan 15, 2011 3:11 pm

BULL. Total BULL. I am done with AA. This is the last straw. The 757 powerports have been down for MONTHS. I'm taking my business elsewhere. Have fun in the 20th century AA-and have fun paying out your union thugs while screwing your business customers.

Here's a newsflash AA: People need to do work on planes. How are people supposed to do so on their longhauls without power? hello?

AA has been less than transparent about the "problem" that caused 757 powerports to be disabled for, are we at the 4th month now? With no info on what the problem was, no transparency, nothing, and no end in sight to the problem. Now we find out no power on the transcon flights CA-NY, likely without any explanation or timeframe either.

Perhaps this is a wakeup call to ... gee I don't know..not have an aging fleet? Congrats United, you just earned yourself a new customer, atleast I'll be cared for in San Francisco.

TheBeerHunter Jan 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Hmm..Maybe this explains why both my seat mate's and my power ports didn't work on the 763 today SFO-JFK?

atrainexp22 Jan 15, 2011 3:19 pm

The only aircrafts that has true power right now are the MD80, old 737 and 777. the new 737 configuration AC110 works only half the time.

demkr Jan 15, 2011 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter (Post 15665491)
Hmm..Maybe this explains why both my seat mate's and my power ports didn't work on the 763 today SFO-JFK?

Great. I see they didn't waste any time. I guess I won't be able to do work on my JFK-SFO next week.

Gee, no big deal, only one of the most competitive routes in the country with a high level of business travelers.

But, sadly, I predict, just like with the 757s, they'll sit back and casually send out a carefully scripted PR to anyone who complains via CS of a "minor problem" that's been 4 months (as of current time) - with no date in sight for the problem to be fixed.

Whatever. They're out of excuses.

phazedowt Jan 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by atrainexp22 (Post 15665492)
The only aircrafts that has true power right now are the MD80, old 737 and 777. the new 737 configuration AC110 works only half the time.

I've been on the new config 738s over 2 dozen times in the past year+. I've yet to have a non-working AC outlet on any of those flights. Sounds like you're just unlucky?

atrainexp22 Jan 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 15665436)
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Actually, it sounds like the ports in NGBC will remain active.

For what it's worth, on my last 763 trip I fried my DC inverter and have had to replace it. Maybe it is related to the problem.

lets hope because I have ORD-CDG next week in J and I need the power.

Originally Posted by phazedowt (Post 15665519)
I've been on the new config 738s over 2 dozen times in the past year+. I've yet to have a non-working AC outlet on any of those flights. Sounds like you're just unlucky?

sounds like it. the unlucky aircraft must be N818NN I have been on it many times and everytime the power wasn't working.

dayone Jan 15, 2011 3:38 pm

I've been on the new config 738s over 2 dozen times in the past year+. I've yet to have a non-working AC outlet on any of those flights.

+1.

GRU787 Jan 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Those powerports issues make no sense. Months to solve and now the 772?
I bet we will see a coin operated powerport :mad: :td: :td:

demkr Jan 15, 2011 3:42 pm

I would be *less* angry about this if they would simply be plain about what specific issue they are having with their aircrafts. Is it a safety issue? If so, I'd like to know *exactly* what the problem is.

I don't want vague pre-made responses to throw a bone at the "Whiners." AA needs to explain why its many competitors are having just a fine time with their power ports, and why they continue to live in a different century than the rest of us.

It insults me that they don't think high enough of people who have been LOYAL to AA since their childhood that they can't simply announce that there is a problem, what the problem is, and why it's taken them over 4 months to address.

TrojanHorse Jan 15, 2011 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 15665454)
BULL. Total BULL. I am done with AA. This is the last straw. The 757 powerports have been down for MONTHS. I'm taking my business elsewhere. Have fun in the 20th century AA-and have fun paying out your union thugs while screwing your business customers.

Here's a newsflash AA: People need to do work on planes. How are people supposed to do so on their longhauls without power? hello?

AA has been less than transparent about the "problem" that caused 757 powerports to be disabled for, are we at the 4th month now? With no info on what the problem was, no transparency, nothing, and no end in sight to the problem. Now we find out no power on the transcon flights CA-NY, likely without any explanation or timeframe either.

Perhaps this is a wakeup call to ... gee I don't know..not have an aging fleet? Congrats United, you just earned yourself a new customer, atleast I'll be cared for in San Francisco.

I tend to agree, if this issue, along with the 757 doesn't get solved this year and there is nothing out there that leads me to believe they will. AA has not said a frickin thing out here about it.

I have no use for an airline that is going to put its long haul fleet back in the 70's without power. I will say, if things are this bad or worse in December, I'll have to look at UA in 2012

and I will be taken care of out of IAD as well.. although those S80's out of IAD are not so bad lol, at least they have power

I've been 50/50 on working AC outlets on the new 738's. Its amazing, the FA's give you that dumb look, when its not working.

Originally Posted by GRU787 (Post 15665610)
Those powerports issues make no sense. Months to solve and now the 772?
I bet we will see a coin operated powerport :mad: :td: :td:

i agree, they fee you to death and then everything is a crapshoot if it works. It wouldn't surprise me at all, but the pay for power is working but the comp one happens to be down again