Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NYC Times Square - Grand Central Shuttle Train in AA livery

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm having trouble finding the fare basis for this on EF. Maybe GCT and TSQ are co-terminals? Or did I miss the fare sale?
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:48 pm

Programs: Various
I'm afraid I won't be taking this unless there's a Sundae service offered.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: AA ex-Plat
Originally Posted by awpeters
I saw this a week and a half ago and was a little surprised. It does look nice. But seemed an odd way for AA to be doing marketing. It wasn't running at the time, so I wasn't able to insist on Priority AAccess....
when i was a regular on that route a few years ago, i would have loved priority access and seating (or an F cabin with refreshment service). lol
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
It does look cool!^
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Globehopper
I was about to upload one of mine, but instead found this nice link for you.

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=3297
Thanks for the link. Creative marketing - and helping clean at least one of NYC's subway cars.

For those of you familiar with NYC, do you think the S line is the best train to market with? The A & E lines connect with the AirTrain. Then of course there's the AirTrain itself. A line is the longest (31 miles/50 km)
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MyTravels
Thanks for the link. Creative marketing - and helping clean at least one of NYC's subway cars.

For those of you familiar with NYC, do you think the S line is the best train to market with? The A & E lines connect with the AirTrain. Then of course there's the AirTrain itself. A line is the longest (31 miles/50 km)
Well anyone coming to or from the airport probably already has a flight booked. I imagine trains to and from the airport are not the best to advertise on, hence why there is really no advertisement on then.

I think the S is the one that makes the most sense, because it is one of the most highly trafficked subway routes with a lot of business people traveling it to/from the office to get commuter trains. The perfect route, really. Makes much more sense to me than a train to the airport.

And actually whenever I've ridden it I've really loved it, but that's just me. Nice work, AA.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by MyTravels

You are welcome!

Yes, the Grand Central to Times Sq shuttle is one of the best lines for advertising. Why?

- Good demographics; midtown subway customers with a mix of residents, commuters, visitors.

- High passenger boardings.

- Short ride. Not too long, not too short. About 90 seconds station to station.

- Ad is captive to one of three possible shuttle trains along that segment of track, so it was easy to find. On a longer line, such as the A train, the AA wrapped train could easily be lost among a number of trainsets. The trick is to capture as many eyeballs in as short a time as possible.

- The short ride discourages vandalism. These ads are adhesive ads that are carefully placed over the car interior. On a longer ride they could be subject to vandalism--an unfortunate concern.

The prior One World Shuttle wrapped ad touted the combination of AA/BA/IB and the ability to pay YQ fees on BA award tickets (ok, may not the last bit).
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Well anyone coming to or from the airport probably already has a flight booked. I imagine trains to and from the airport are not the best to advertise on, hence why there is really no advertisement on then.
I'd hypothesize that people coming to/from NYC airports are more likely to buy more airline tickets to/from NYC than random people between Times Square & Grand Central (I believe that Delta often advertises inside the A & E trains)

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I think the S is the one that makes the most sense, because it is one of the most highly trafficked subway routes with a lot of business people traveling it to/from the office to get commuter trains.
Again, volume versus relevance. Catching the attention to of a bunch of Time Square tourist may have a bit of a halo effect in other cities, but may not help AA to/from NYC airports. (Yes, commuters also take the shuttle as well, but again, are these commuters more often to fly than people going to/from the airport?) The timing (time of year) also doesn't suggest that this campaign is focused on commuters.

Although, Globehopper has made some really compelling points on why the S train could make the most sense, particularly for these reasons:

Originally Posted by Globehopper
- Short ride. Not too long, not too short. About 90 seconds station to station.

- Ad is captive to one of three possible shuttle trains along that segment of track, so it was easy to find. On a longer line, such as the A train, the AA wrapped train could easily be lost among a number of trainsets. The trick is to capture as many eyeballs in as short a time as possible.

- The short ride discourages vandalism. These ads are adhesive ads that are carefully placed over the car interior. On a longer ride they could be subject to vandalism--an unfortunate concern.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta, SPG
DL did this three times over the last few years.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY
DL did this three times over the last few years.
Really? I didn't even know that. Can I see those photos of the trains cars?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:42 pm

AA posted a video of the transformation of the shuttle car on YouTube.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 9:47 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by barelyelite
AA posted a video of the transformation of the shuttle car on YouTube.
Neat! Thanks for posting!

Surprised they were using a blowtorch to apply the decals instead of an electric heat gun.

Loved the ceilings!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:59 am

Programs: Various
Looks good....I didn't see it when I rode the shuttle last week.

Hate to say it, but only for a month? What a waste of money and time, then again, most Marketing Departments specialize in wasting money IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.