Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Questions about EQMs / re-qualifying on overnight December 31 flights (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions about EQMs / re-qualifying on overnight December 31 flights (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
Which year do miles credit - Flying on New Years Eve

Hello All,

I've searched, but was unable to find the answer to this question - I am shooting for EXP this year, and will be running it right down to the wire - I'll be spending Xmas in Bali, and will be flying home Dec 31st via NRT -

My flight leaves DPS at 11:30pm on Dec 31 - Then lands in NRT on Jan 1, and flight out of NRT to LAX is on Jan 1 -

My question - Since my itinerary starts in 09, and my return flight leaves on Dec 31 - Will my NRT -> LAX flight credit to 09 or 2010?

Any help?

Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR NOTE:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: I have a flight that departs on December 31 and arrives on Jan 1. Which year will my EQMs/EQPs/EQS credit to?
A: Your elite qualifying points/miles/segment are tied to the year of the scheduled departure date of your flight.

Q: What if my flight encounters weather/mechanical delays or other irrops that push the departure time of my flight into January 1? Will my flight end up crediting to the new year?
A: No. Your flight credit is posted based on the schedule departure date, not when the flight actually departs.

Last edited by JY1024; Oct 22, 2011 at 11:40 am Reason: added mod note
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The flights count based on date of departure of the flight

If you have 2 separate flight numbers, one on 31/12/09 and one on 01/01/10 , then the 1st will credit as 2009 and the 2nd as 2010

Dave
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
The segment posts on the "day" of the flight. So if your NRT flight leaves on January 1, that portion of the miles is in your 2010 bucket. Your Bali to NRT will post in 2009....
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Also, if the flight from DPS is delayed until after midnight,it will still count for 2009 as this is the scheduled date.

Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:00 pm

Just a warning, if you are rebooked to a later flight for whatever reason or there is a last minute schedule change, the miles will credit towards 2010.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by grantguo
Just a warning, if you are rebooked to a later flight for whatever reason or there is a last minute schedule change, the miles will credit towards 2010.
Officially true, but if something like this happens involuntarily they are likely to be merciful and grant original routing credit (at least for qualifying purposes). I was down to the wire on 12/31/06 and involuntarily rebooked on another carrier that day. ORC was granted.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP /United Silver/Marriot Plat / HH Gold / SPG Gold
Thanks for the answers!

I think a mileage run is coming in the near future.....

:-)
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:49 am

Take off Dec 31st land Jan 1st; mileage credit?

I'm trying to plan my last trip of 2009, and I'm cutting my elite qualification quite close this year. If I leave on an AA flight on Dec 31st that lands on Jan 1st, will that flight count towards my 2009 qualification status, or will it count towards 2010?

Thanks.
Old Dec 8, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
It will count towards your 2009 credit.

Even if the flight is delayed until 12:01AM 1/1/10, it will still count towards your 2009 credit
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:40 pm

Anyone happen to know how miles flown on a red-eye overnight on 12/31-1/1 are counted towards elite status on AA? Is it just the 12/31 year or somehow split overnight? Probably just wishful thinking on my part since I'd love for the transatlantic flight to count for next year.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:45 pm

I believe mileage credit is based on the original scheduled departure time of the flight that you are taking. So, if you flight was scheduled to take off before midnight, it will count for the previous year.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:49 pm

Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2010, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I think this question comes up on FT about every year.
The scheduled departure date is the date that will be credited.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 8:20 am

Slightly OT but an interesting related experience. Took AA 293 DEL-ORD on 01 January this year. Since the flight departs at 0015 hours and flew very close to the North Pole, we actually experienced multiple "New Years" during the course of the flight. As we passed the time zones westbound near the Pole, the clock would go back to 31 December for a few minutes before turning midnight again. This happened a few times until we were far enough south to stay in 2010 for good.

And we did earn our first mileage credit of 2010.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by DFW DL
Slightly OT but an interesting related experience. Took AA 293 DEL-ORD on 01 January this year. Since the flight departs at 0015 hours and flew very close to the North Pole, we actually experienced multiple "New Years" during the course of the flight. As we passed the time zones westbound near the Pole, the clock would go back to 31 December for a few minutes before turning midnight again. This happened a few times until we were far enough south to stay in 2010 for good.

And we did earn our first mileage credit of 2010.
that is really interesting!! did they announce it on the flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.