Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott and AAdvantage Partnership Ends June 30, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
I'm wondering if maybe MR made AA mad by teaming up with DL. In the end, it was undoubtbly a revenue/price matter though I'm sure.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:04 pm

Although I am Hilton guy I have my "airline miles" posted as Hilton Points. I find that Hotel rooms are more valuable than airline tickets
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tedward
Everyone,

If you're disappointed (as I am...MAD, in fact), write to American Airlines and Marriott. Tell them both that this earning/redemption program is important.

http://www.aa.com/contactAA/viewAadv...eFormAccess.do

https://www.marriott.com/rewards/customer-support.mi
Or even easier...

[email protected]
[email protected]
Old Apr 30, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
Emails sent to both. Thanks.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
[QUOTE=jamflyer;13874187]I could be wrong, but I don't believe it was ever possible to transfer Amex MR points directly to AA - certainly not 4 years ago. QUOTE]

This sounds a lot like what a Marriott Rewards customer rep told me on the phone today when I called to ask about this program change.

I don't have an AmEx Membership Rewards account, so I didn't understand this fully. But the CSR told me that AmEx Membership Reward people were converting their AmEx MR points into Marriott Reward points, and then from there to AA miles. She said that AA wanted to shut down this conduit.

Does this seem sensible? Under the Marriott Rewards program rules, I think you take quite a haircut on your Marriott points if you convert them directly to airline miles (without doing it as a Marriott travel package).
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was really shocked by this. Until last year I was a very infrequent Marriott guest and I used AA as my earning setting with them. It's very rare I find a third party I can't bank to AA on.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by judolphin
Thanks. I did my share to send them both an email. I am VERY disappointed... Actually I am mad.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
How many of your hearts stopped with the subject line ..."Important AAdvantage Program News" !!
Old Apr 30, 2010, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Red face

Crap, 2 years ago I made the choice of Marriott and American as my programs of choice...and to forsake all others. Another bonehead decsion by teh Dan. :shrug:
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by tedward
A theory floated on the Marriott thread is that AA raised its rates and Marriott said no.

If it were a decision made on the Marriott side, wouldn't it affect more than just one airline?
Not if only AA raised its price.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by zacktravel
I am very curious what happened here. It is rare to hear one of the largest airlines and one of largest hotel chain call an end to a partnership. I wonder if AA's recent promos with Hilton ticked off someone at Marriott?
I thought the hotel paid for the bonus miles for these promos.
Is this incorrect?
Old May 1, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Wow, that didn't take very long. I converted almost all my Marriott points to AA miles this afternoon. The terms and conditions said it would take up to six weeks. The miles just posted. It actually took something like 14 hours.
Old May 1, 2010, 2:29 am
Suspended

Programs: OWE, Hilton GOLD and counting
I feel sorry for those members effected by this change. But in other hand I hope it is the start of one hotel group tie with one major airline alliance and give more benefits to FTs. For example, when the elite of one Alliance stay in that particular hotel group, he could earn miles, and get upgrade depend on his statues without being the member of the hotels group. And the member of the hotel group can earn points when he flies with the airline alliance without being the member of any airlines.
Old May 1, 2010, 7:11 am

I wonder if this is the reason for the two fairly decent promotions with Wyndham (13.5K) and Hyatt (30K).
Old May 1, 2010, 7:42 am
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
question.. why this is a big deal anyways? I switched long time ago to earn marriott points instead of aa miles they have a better deal in earning nights rather than 500 miles only per stay. specially if you do long stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.